Author Topic: Wanted vanilla orchid cuttings  (Read 3315 times)

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Wanted vanilla orchid cuttings
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »
Anybody have any vanilla orchid cuttings for trade?

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Re: Wanted vanilla orchid cuttings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
Also interested

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »
I have some rooted cuttings vanilla planifolia Bourbon, I can sell them for 12$ including shipping.
Can send them without soil.

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
I have some rooted cuttings vanilla planifolia Bourbon, I can sell them for 12$ including shipping.
Can send them without soil.

Thank you for the offer.  If possible I would like to order from inside the US so I dont have to deal with customs.  I'll definitely keep you in mind if I can't find them anywhere else

Jamesther

• Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
Yes, I do

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
I also have
Sergio

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 05:38:47 PM »
Someone on FB marketplace in Palm Bay was selling this past month, I think they’re still listed.  I was thinking about getting some, but just kinda felt like by the time I spend $20 for a cutting, I could probably eventually come across a rooted plant from nursery.  Idk though, haven’t looked into it too much - I think atree4me in Sebastian has carried potted plants in the past, likely from Pine Island as I think that’s where most their edible inventory ships in from.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  A very generous forum member has already given me some.  Thanks again.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »
Nice!  If it does great for you, may ask pretty please for some cuttings next year. :) :)

I’m just a bit N of you in Indialantic.

Hoping those rains pick back up again, this intense sun without the afternoon showers is not helping my plantings right now.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:55 PM »
Just moved to Florida from NY... trying to get my hands on anything and everything. In dire need of some Madagascar Vanilla was wondering what the price would be?

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Also interested in getting some vanilla orchids inside the US preferably. Anyone wanting to sell please PM some details.
Trying to grow it all!

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »
I forgot to mention to PM me details, I can pick up in southern Florida even so keep that in mind:)

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »

Just got done potting up my 2 extremely large Vanilla cuttings from FLnative aka Frank. They look great!

In addition he sent me a handful of each Lemondrop Mangosteen, Superior Lemondrop Mangosteen and Red Jaboticaba. All very delicious! Thank you for the opportunity to add to my collection and the chance to taste new fruits!

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »
As an orchid collector (North of 400) the Vanilla Orchid you want is native the Central East Coast of FL. The Vanilla genus has roughly 100 species and mine in Davie FL. has plenty of flowers and never been pollinated. I do remember seeing something, somewhere that the U. of Florida is working to make a cash crop out of vanilla plantifolia.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »
As an orchid collector (North of 400) the Vanilla Orchid you want is native the Central East Coast of FL. The Vanilla genus has roughly 100 species and mine in Davie FL. has plenty of flowers and never been pollinated. I do remember seeing something, somewhere that the U. of Florida is working to make a cash crop out of vanilla plantifolia.

https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/trade_journals/2017/2017_June_vanilla.pdf

I wasn’t aware of a native vanilla orchid, do you have any more info on that one?

birngerd

• Central Florida, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 06:42:15 AM »

I wasn’t aware of a native vanilla orchid, do you have any more info on that one?

Vanilla phaeantha is one of the natives that produces edible pods. I've never seen them for sale though, and Vanilla plantifolia seems to be a pretty common plant at plant sales. A hybrid between the two would be pretty neat.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
Just received my very large beautiful vanilla cutting from FLnative. Thank you sir very nice!
Trying to grow it all!

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 07:42:10 PM »

Vanilla phaeantha is one of the natives that produces edible pods. I've never seen them for sale though, and Vanilla plantifolia seems to be a pretty common plant at plant sales. A hybrid between the two would be pretty neat.

Very cool, are you growing any of the natives?  I just joined FL native orchid FB group, would like to eventually catch some safely propagated (not poached from wild) plants or cuttings.  I will probably try my hand at the commercial Vanilla plantifolia first though as I have no experience growing orchids.