Author Topic: Poncirus juice resin settling procedure?  (Read 2860 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Poncirus juice resin settling procedure?
« on: October 29, 2018, 06:53:56 PM »
Someone posted recently about putting poncirus juice overnight in a glass ( I presume in refrigerator) to let the resin or poncyrus nastiness to separate from the juice, and then you’re left with good juice. How do you separate the nasty layer from the good? Is the nastiness floating on top? Do you scoop it out with a spoon? I can’t find the post about it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:55:36 PM by Citradia »

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Poncyrus juice resin settling procedure?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »
The turpentine oils will be at bottom, you can gently pour a top layer  to obtain  juice. It is better to do it in a refrigerator, prior dilution with water also helps.
 Alternatively, you can  apply the method  that is used to get rid of yeast residues in the production of champagne wine: keep the juice in a closed bottle in reversed position and then freeze the  oily part by the immersion into ice/salt mixture. The  frozen sediment can be  easily extracted. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:42:26 AM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Poncirus juice resin settling procedure?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:06:23 AM »
Thanks Ilya11!  I noticed this morning that half of the juice in the glass is dark on bottom and lighter on top half of glass. So half of the juice we extract from poncirus is “turpentine “.  Is it really turpentine? Like what they get from pine trees? Is it flammable? For a while I was wondering if I needed to use paint thinner to clean the sticky thick resin off of my orange reamer and knife I used to extract the poncirus juice. It finally came off with soapy water and wiping hard/ pulling the gunk off with a wet paper towel. I saw reference to the poncirus resin being “poisonous “. Is it poison?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:59:07 PM by Citradia »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:19:25 AM »
Poncirus  juice extracted yesterday and darker juice settled to bottom overnight in refrigerator. Top layer tastes very bitter but may be able to drink small amount with added sugar.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:56:13 PM by Citradia »

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Sediment looks like pine resin with turpentine, I do not believe it is poisonous, but this is what principally makes poncirus fruits nonedible.
 Bitter taste is due to the presence of   poncirin, that is also present in the juice of grapefruit.
Specific odor that many people consider nasty is post probably due to poncirus specific sulfur containing volatiles.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
Thanks, Ilya.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
Poncirus makes a good tea.  Half a fruit squeezed to release the juice into a cup, then the half fruit dropped into the cup and hot water added.  Sweeten to taste.  There are recipes online for Poncirus jam.  I made some a couple years ago, tasted like marmalade.  Poncirus is found as an ingredient in skin care products.  There are potential cancer killing benefits, as well as anti fungal, anti bacterial and other uses. 

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
I read about the marmalade and tea last night. But that juice was so strong and bitter after settling the resin out, I’d hate to go to the trouble of making marmalade and it be inedible. Maybe someone can bring some marmalade to the expo in November for folks to try.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
When I made Poncirus marmalade, the water was changed several times to reduce bitterness, and to add more flavor some lime and tangerine skins were thrown in.

Many foods are too strong or bitter to be eaten on their own, cocoa, tea leaves, coffee, many spices, even some lemons and limes, yet when diluted or added to food it makes them edible or adds flavor.   

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
Thanks hardyvermont. Same idea as adding some apple or crabapple to rowan jelly.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
I made a jelly/jam only using the poncirus juice and diluted it a bit with orange juice and it turned out great!

Hillbillyhort

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
Poncirin (with other flavonoids of the bitter orange) was tested as a control agent for mosquito infestation, and was found to be larvacidal, to repel females from egg-laying on treated water, and to repel insects from biting topically treated human volunteers.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 03:23:36 AM »
Poncirin is a bitter flavonone that is also present in grapefruits, but  internal oils are unique for poncirus
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Hillbillyhort

• West Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 12:20:59 AM »
http://www.eattheweeds.com/hardy-orange/

Some info about poncirus . + recipes