Author Topic: Need Topa Topa avocado seeds or Mexican Avocado root stock advice  (Read 3482 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
I need Topa Topa avocado seeds. I understand this is a Mexican variety used for root stock. I need to try them in So. Florida since Laurel Wilt is moving into our area and early research indicates the least liked variety of avocados are the Mexican. I need to experiment with Mexican root stocks.  If you have other suggestions please let me know. I have access to Mexicola seeds  and probably Bacon even though I'm not sure if Bacon is 100% Mexican, does not have that anise smell to it. Does anyone knows?
I'm not familiar with Mexican varieties, big seed and a vigorous growing tree will probably be a good quality. Any help will be appreciated. Laurel Wilt seems to be a really bad problem.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Need Topa Topa avocado seeds or Mexican Avocado root stock advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
I need Topa Topa avocado seeds. I understand this is a Mexican variety used for root stock. I need to try them in So. Florida since Laurel Wilt is moving into our area and early research indicates the least liked variety of avocados are the Mexican. I need to experiment with Mexican root stocks.  If you have other suggestions please let me know. I have access to Mexicola seeds  and probably Bacon even though I'm not sure if Bacon is 100% Mexican, does not have that anise smell to it. Does anyone knows?
I'm not familiar with Mexican varieties, big seed and a vigorous growing tree will probably be a good quality. Any help will be appreciated. Laurel Wilt seems to be a really bad problem.

You're going to use mexican avo as a rootstock? I thought that laurel wilt affects the whole tree? If the upper grafted part is infected how would it help that the rootstock is resistant?
Oscar

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
Carlos - I really enjoyed your avocado website, very well done and interesting. I agree with Oscar, you need to look at Mexican cultivars and not just at the rootstocks to gain any benefit.

Last year while visiting Chapmen Field a USDA researcher told me that the Mexican race avocados were better at resisting laurel wilt because their circulatory systems move sap slower then the West Indian types do so the germ spreads slower. Bad news is he made it a point of saying that no avocado type is immune or resistant just some die quicker then others do.

Tony   

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Laurel Wilt is new, they are working on insecticides and fungicides It may take a while to come up with a solution. In one of the test that was done the  beetle preferred West Indies, then Guatemalans and Mexican. I also know that the beetle attacks from the ground to about 6 feet. I would know more about this soon. My idea with the Mexican root stock is to graft them high at 7 feet above ground. It is just a long term experiment to see these Mexican avocados growing here. I have Mexicola and Beacon they seem to be doing well. Is not by far a solution.

Tony's comment make sense, what could be a reason why the Mexicans avocados seem more resistant.  There is a lot we don't know about the disease but unless they find a solution quickly could be a real problem. The only recommendation is to keep your trees healthy and strong, Ambrosia Beatles go for weak trees. I had a lighting strike last years and in a few weeks  the tree was full of holes, luckily was not the ambrosia that carries Laurel Wilt. We need to remember that we had had these types of beetles around for years. This new variety carries this deadly disease. Up to now there were not a problem. Now I think most people don't realize how serious this is.

The other issue Tony raises is that we need to become more familiar with Mexican varieties to see if some grow well here.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:55:50 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk