Author Topic: Mango bread for when life gives you mucho mangos  (Read 2416 times)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Mango bread for when life gives you mucho mangos
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
Mango Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon*
3 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil (or ¼ vegetable oil and ¼ cup macadamia nut oil)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice**
2 cups chopped fresh ripe mango (about 2 medium mangos)***
½ cup macadamia nuts, halved****

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt & cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Whisk together in a small bowl the eggs, oil and lemon juice and pour the mixture into the well in the dry ingredients. Lightly combine, and then stir in the mango and nuts. Do not over mix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 65-70 minutes*****, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack covered with a clean dishtowel, to avoid indentations. Let the bread cool for at least 10 additional minutes before slicing. The bread can be served warmed (under the broiler for a few), enhanced perhaps with a bit of butter.

**********************************************************************************

* I use about a tablespoon of ground cinnamon
** I use Nelli & Joe’s brand Key West Lime Juice (from a bottle)
*** I use two mangos per loaf, no matter what the size (the ones I use tend to be larger than medium sized, I usually use Kent mangos)
**** I use sliced almonds, a handful (probably between ½ cup and a full cup)
***** The baking time will vary depending on how juicy the mangos are. By using two whole mangos, 70 minutes is about the minimum baking time. Mine always go longer, but I check at 70 then add 10 & check, add 10 & check, until done.

Variations that I tried and that I like:
Add a handful of dried cranberries (adds tartness).
Add a handful of dried blueberries (very sweet)
Add powder ginger (I use a heaping tablespoon, I like ginger and think it goes good with mango)
Use chopped pecans instead of almonds

I have also baked it in mini loaf pans and big muffin pans (adjust baking time)

DM

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango bread for when life gives you mucho mangos
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
Hi DM.

That looks really good. I like mango bread a lot myself, and sometimes we have homemade mango bread similar to yours.

Tomas