Author Topic: yuzu hybrid  (Read 5847 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: yuzu hybrid
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
None of the hardy citrus have leaves you are going to want to eat or taste...
Haha, probably very true.

However, C. ichangensis leaves are not bad, although they don't have very much flavor either.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »
  Thank you very much for your description of yuzu leaves' taste.
Oh no, I was describing Yuzu fruit, not the leaves.

The leaves tend to have that same petitgrain taste that other normal citrus has, but are just a bit more mild. And the leaves have a little bit of the deep spiciness characteristic that the Yuzu fruits have. I don't know if the leaves are really appropriate for culinary uses, but then again I didn't think lemon leaves are appropriate for culinary uses either.
I'm thinking the leaves from Yuzu may be less suitable than lemon, but perhaps still possible. I guess Yuzu leaves are a little lemony, but mostly not. They are kind of fragrant but I'm not sure in the way you'd want to eat.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 11:35:49 PM »

SoCal2warm, in Asia people used lemon leaves as well as lime leaves in many dishes, but definaitely not kaffir lime leaves. I bought kaffir lime leaves to prepare for an Asian dish but found that their taste and smell are far different than the lime and lemon leaves our family used in the past. Asian dishes and European dishes are far different in many aspects.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:38:18 PM by lavender87 »

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 01:18:15 AM »

I did not know a chance to taste the leaves of citrus medica, citron to see whether or not it fit  y cookling needs. I would appreciate so much if you can describe the taste of a citron leaf compared to a lemon leaf.

Ok, I will chew some citron and lemon leaves today to compare and let you know.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
anyone have changensis IVIA seeds? I think this type of citrus would fit my needs for leaves, and it was seedless as well.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »
  I did not have a chance to taste the leaves of citrus medica, citron to see whether or not it fit my cookling needs. I would appreciate so much if you can describe the taste of a citron leaf compared to a lemon leaf.
Citron leaves are very lemony - maybe half like fresh-cut lemon and half like lemon disinfectant cleaner - but the fragrance & flavor is more mild, cleaner, and less harsh, than lemon leaves. Citron leaves smell more like something clean that could be used in a perfume, whereas lemon leaves smell a little more in the direction like other citrus leaves (I mean a little harsh, petitgrain-like).
I believe citron leaves would be superior for cooking with than regular lemon leaves, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately there's no way citron will survive outside where you are, it could even be a tiny bit less hardy than a regular lemon tree. There's always the option of bringing it inside over the Winter (though there's many things you'd have to learn about that).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 12:26:23 PM by SoCal2warm »

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
Citron leaves are very lemony - maybe half like fresh-cut lemon and half like lemon disinfectant cleaner - but the fragrance & flavor is more mild, cleaner, and less harsh, than lemon leaves. Citron leaves smell more like something clean that could be used in a perfume, whereas lemon leaves smell a little more in the direction like other citrus leaves (I mean a little harsh, petitgrain-like).
I believe citron leaves would be superior for cooking with than regular lemon leaves, but I could be wrong.

Thank you so much for your description. It was really helpful.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 03:41:58 AM »
anyone have changensis IVIA seeds? I think this type of citrus would fit my needs for leaves, and it was seedless as well.
Ichangensis leaves do not have any particular smell and are unpleasantly bitter in the taste.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 03:46:00 AM »
Citron leaves are very lemony - maybe half like fresh-cut lemon and half like lemon disinfectant cleaner - but the fragrance & flavor is more mild, cleaner, and less harsh, than lemon leaves.
Citron leaves smell much less than those of the lemon, I personally do not like them.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
Ichangensis leaves do not have any particular smell and are unpleasantly bitter in the taste.

according to your description, I guess it might be close to the taste of trifoliate orange leaves. I tasted trifoiate leaves yesterday and found that it has very little citrus scent at first then after a few seconds it starts to smell like a normal tree leaves. I tasted the rind of young fruit as well, and it was strong in citrus scent and extremely bitter in flavor.

Citron leaves are very lemony - maybe half like fresh-cut lemon and half like lemon disinfectant cleaner - but the fragrance & flavor is more mild, cleaner, and less harsh, than lemon leaves.
Citron leaves smell much less than those of the lemon, I personally do not like them.

Thank you very much, it is good to hear another opinion on citron leaves taste.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
Lavender87,
Leaves of Ichang Lemon (ancient Chinese hybrid) and Citrlemon ( LemonXPoncirus hybrid) have   lemon like smell, although with some foreign notes.
Both are hardy up to -10C.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
The ichangensis leaves I smelled and tasted had a faint light lemony smell, and I do not remember them tasting particularly bitter, not any more than Meyer lemon leaves. (I could be wrong, I may not be remembering the bitterness level the most clearly)

The smell was also reminiscent of Yuzu leaves (in the way of having a pungent deepness) or Kaffir lime leaves, though obviously inferior to Kaffir lime leaves. Definitely more bitter and less aroma than Kaffir limes leaves.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:00:55 PM by SoCal2warm »