Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183008 times)

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #800 on: April 23, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
Dang I went to my local nursery for strawberries which they were out of and just stopped by some avocado's that just arrived and left with a Gwen tree. That makes the 5th new avocado tree this spring. I've added a Carmen, D'Arturo, Reed, Gem and Gwen to my collection. My other trees are Pinkerton, Fuerte, Bacon, Mexicola, Stewart and Wurtz.
Nice! I wish I can do the same but I have too small of a back yard.
Where'd you find the Reed.  I've been searching around for one for a few years.  I'm growing in containers as well.  I have five in container and three older ones in the ground.

I was at Lowes in Modesto looking for veggies and wandered over to the trees and found the Reed there for $24.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 24, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Good to know that Lowes is an option for Reed.  I'll keep an eye out.  Thanks.

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 28, 2020, 05:43:59 PM »
I bought a young Queen and Sharwil Avocado Seeding from OC-CRFG this weekend to support the organization scholarship drive.  I was trying to find more information on Queen avocado on-line particularly on care and characteristics.  There are many information on other cultivars but not on Queen.  It made me very curious of the reason why we don't have much information with the internet age.  Anyway, if you have any experience with the Queen avocado, please share.  Greatly appreciated.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 28, 2020, 07:56:05 PM »
Here you go: Queen avocado
(Guat.)Introduced 1914 by E.E.Knight of Yorba Linda, CA, from near Antigua, Guat. Parent tree had 80 foot spread. Fruit season, July-Aug.; color, dull purple; weight, 20-30 ozs.; shape, pyriform; skin, rough, medium thick; flavor fine; oil, 13.5%. Seed, small.Illus. in CA. Avo. Soc. Yearbook 1927, & Cal. Ag. Exp. Sta. Circ. 43. Shipping quality good. Fruit too large except for special markets. (CAS Yearbook 1950) Grafted onto large rootstock at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA. field 44, row 10, tree 19, spring of 97. (Wood from Atkins nursery, grafted by Shaefer & Brown.) I've been told that Queen fruit make good Christmas gifts so they must hang through Dec. B flower type. (J.R. Frink 1998) Origin, Guat.; Race, Guat.; Flowering group, B (Lahav & Gazit)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 25, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »
We did a taste test with these varieties the other day.  Reed, hass, ardith, sharwil, sir prize, pinkerton.  Reed and ardith need more time so not fair for them.  Sharwil, pinkerton, and hass are consistently the best fruit off my trees.  Im going to say all around best tree and fruit is hass.  The fruit quality is superior, the tree grows well, maes tons of fruit, and they hang forever.  Sharwil also good all around but I need more years to see how the trees perform here.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:12:29 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 25, 2020, 01:51:04 PM »
Great line-up and pic Brad.  Thanks for sharing the assessment.  How does lamb-hass compare to the original Hass in your opinion?

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 25, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
Couldn't find my tree paint this morning so I whitewashed with surround, hope it's enough. we might see 110 degrees by thursday. :(

Fuerte

Sir Prize

Stewart
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 25, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
Kris, I did the same last year.  The Surround seemed to hold up fine through the year, and with plenty of rain sessions.  I need to get out there and "paint" the top branches of my exposed trees today.  Thanks for the reminder.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 25, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Kris, I did the same last year.  The Surround seemed to hold up fine through the year, and with plenty of rain sessions.  I need to get out there and "paint" the top branches of my exposed trees today.  Thanks for the reminder.
Nice to know. I used it on the leaves and it didn't seem to help much last year. This morning I put new suports in, white washed, and gave them a good watering. I've already had some sun burn happen this year. It's too hot. Hopefully these do well this year. I hate how the stewart grows.. It may get yanked anyways.
-Kris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 25, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
Great line-up and pic Brad.  Thanks for sharing the assessment.  How does lamb-hass compare to the original Hass in your opinion?

Lamb is pretty close to refular hass.  Maybe not quite as good.  Just barely lower quality, most people probably couldnt twll the difference.  But its a later season fruit and the tree is very prolific fruiter.  I like it a lot and have planted a bunch of those. 

Im deciding what types to plant out here in a new orchard section and hass, gem, and lamb are high on the list. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 25, 2020, 02:42:50 PM »
Hi Brad, thanks for the info.  My small lamb in the side-yard is best fruited next to the Pinkerton.  Sure, they will not hold, but I see what you mean.  I need to give an update post soon.  I screwed-up the Expandable Containers with a simple mistake that anyone might make.  I want to give the public service announcement on that at least.  Have a great Memorial Day!

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 25, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
I had the Hass & Sharwil from your tree. The late season Hass is good but the Sharwil is on another level.  Just my 2 cents.
We did a taste test with these varieties the other day.  Reed, hass, ardith, sharwil, sir prize, pinkerton.  Reed and ardith need more time so not fair for them.  Sharwil, pinkerton, and hass are consistently the best fruit off my trees.  Im going to say all around best tree and fruit is hass.  The fruit quality is superior, the tree grows well, maes tons of fruit, and they hang forever.  Sharwil also good all around but I need more years to see how the trees perform here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 25, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »
The hass right now are super good too.  Sharwil is amazing and they ripen to a high oil level earlier than hass.  Its a really early season fruit in my yard.

Heres the Lamb hass tree, havent started picking these yet.  Its an awesome tree.

Brad Spaugh

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »
My Young Carmen has yellow spots on the leaves and stop growing.  Meanwhile, The young Holiday, Reed and Queen leaves are green with new growth.  They are all in raised planters except the Queen is in a 5 Gallon pot.  Should I be concerned with the Reed and do something. Thank for any feedback. I am new to planting and might be too much of parenting.

Queen In pot-no growth but little yellow spot on leaves

Holiday in raised planter. New growths with no yellow spots on leaves.

Reed is raised plater. New growths with no yellow spots on leaves.

Carmen in raised platers. No new growth with yellow spots on leaves.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 15, 2020, 05:47:04 PM »
I hadn't gotten any hits on my latest updates on my side-yard Avocado "project" thread, but I thought it was (or might be) of interest to some.  If so, you can find the posts here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27629.100

The avocado trees are doing well in their expandable pots.

-naysen

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 17, 2020, 08:50:47 AM »
My Young Carmen has yellow spots on the leaves and stop growing.

Check for mites and nutritional issues.  Can't beat Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor for avocados and all tropical fruit trees for that matter.  Level TB for a 5 gal. pot should do it.

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 17, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
Went outside this morning to find 20+ large marble-sized Reeds on the ground... :(

I knew I'd lose a bunch, but it always hurts anyways.
--Jake

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 02, 2020, 08:52:32 PM »
We did a side by side with ardith(top), lamb(right), reed(bottom).

The ardith seems like it needs more time still, they seem to be a very later variety, it took 13 days to soften and was not as oily as I would like.  Not impressed so far but maybe in a month or 2 they will be better.  Have only tried 2 fruit so far and they seem not ripe enough.  If they do improve and can hang until December this would be a great gap filler fruit in CA. 

Reed still going to get more oil but this was very good oil content and smooth/buttery and delicious. 

Lamb also very good, nice flavor.  More avocado flavor than the other 2 but maybe not as enjoyable as reed but still very good.  Tastes like a good store bought hass.  Not as good as regular has this time of year but they will improve and hang until October here.  By then they start to sprout and grow roots in the fruit and it ruins them.  They still taste fine but they get a lot of roots going at some point. 

Overall reed was best today. 

Brad Spaugh

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 02, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
Have someone try the aravaipa avocado and what do you think about it

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
Anyone know when Jan Boyce avocado is ripe in So Cal?  I've only got one hanging, my first, and I don't want to screw it up and pick it too early.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 03, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
We did a side by side with ardith(top), lamb(right), reed(bottom).
Lamb also very good, nice flavor.  More avocado flavor than the other 2 but maybe not as enjoyable as reed but still very good.  Tastes like a good store bought hass.  Not as good as regular has this time of year but they will improve and hang until October here.  By then they start to sprout and grow roots in the fruit and it ruins them.  They still taste fine but they get a lot of roots going at some point. 

Hi Brad,

I'm salivating over your Avocado board there -- looks great.

I have a young Lamb that's holding on to several fruitlets in my side-yard container project.  Just to be clear for my own planning, fruit that sets in early/mid-Spring will then hold onto the tree through the next year's Spring, Summer, and into the next year's fall, right?  So that fruit is on the tree for over 18-months?  Also, does this tree (or any Avocado tree for that matter) struggle to set the next season's fruit when fruit from the preceding is still hanging?  Does that deter flowering or tamp down on successful successive pollination and fruit set/hold?

Thanks!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 03, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
Yes, year and a half on the tree for lambs at my location.  Maybe longer in northern CA.  They come in when regular hass is done.  Good season extender. 

Yes the tree will alternate bear if its carrying a lot of fruit.  I dont think my tree set any new fruit this year.  The reason is the tree isnt making as much new vegetative flushes if its holding fruit and then no flowers because no new growth.  It can still bear year after year though if the tree is growing and its not putting all energy on fruit.  Just depends how much fruit you have on it. 

I made this video a moth ago.  The lamb tree is at the 6:50 mark if you want to see how much fruit it makes.

https://youtu.be/hsxgYtrHXZQ

Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 03, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »
Wow Brad, you've got one hell'of a orchard every thing is growing very well congrats on all your hard work man 8) ;)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 03, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
Thanks Scott, when we bought this place 6 years ago the previous owner told me "nothing grows here".  Lol

I think he just didn't put the time in and no deer fence. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 03, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
Brad, thanks for sharing the video.  I  hadn't seen you post it before.  I'm enjoying the watch through (thumbs up).  So, I have one banana tree (from previous owner), and I tried to cut it to the ground at one point, but it just will not die.  So I then tried this last year to limit it to one main "stem", but it just keeps throwing up shoots all around its base.  I decapitate the shoots, and in 1-2 days they replace themselves.  Do you have any tips for how to manage the banana root/base so that it will stop focusing on new growth/shoots/pups and just direct its energy into the one main shoot?