Author Topic: Citrus in New Guinea  (Read 1619 times)

Kapiak

• View Profile
Citrus in New Guinea
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »
Hi there,

I found a Citrus in a village garden in Western Province of Papua New Guinea.

It had no fruits, so I couldn't identify it by the fruit.
But I did notice a peculiar character with the plant, it has no marked petiole, ie. no petiole wings, and no "joint" between leaf blade and petiole. The short petiole simply becomes leaf blade without any "joining line/mark" like you see in most other Citrus.

They say the fruit is a bit sour like lime or lemon, and the tree we saw is short, 2-3 metres tall and thorny. This was growing in the muddy swamp in the hot lowlands.

Any idea what it could be? The villagers said it was planted from somewhere else.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus in New Guinea
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:58 AM »
Missing "joint point" between petiole and leaf is a basic mark for true citrus medica. So your plant is most likely citrus medica cultivar like for example cv.  Diamante.

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
Whoa that was fast! :) Glad to add another species of tropical lowland Citrus in our garden! I suspected it wasn't a native Citrus.

Will keep looking for seeds of the indigenous Clymenia polyandra, have heard about both sour and (fairly?) sweet varieties at two villages but haven't traveled there yet as it's pretty remote.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:07 PM »
Citrus medica is grown for its thick rind, which is candied with sugar. Jews grow citrus medica cv. Etrog for ritual purpose.

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:46:59 AM »
I look forward to see when it fruits what kind of Citron it is.