Author Topic: Tropical Acres Farms Totally Rocks - Thanks Squam!!  (Read 4490 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Tropical Acres Farms Totally Rocks - Thanks Squam!!
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »

Guys if you have never ordered from mangoes from Tropical Acres Farms you need to especially if you don't live in Florida.  It is the only way you can try phenomenal tasting rare varieties of mangoes that you would otherwise never be able to experience.  Thanks again for coming thru for me Alex.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:29:58 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Acres Farms Totally Rocks - Thanks Squam!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
I notice that the OS has the same soft nose issue that mine has -- where the fruit ripens from bottom up. It's one of the few mangoes I have which will do that despite being in calcareous soil and not receiving nitgrogen.
Jeff  :-)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »
I notice that the OS has the same soft nose issue that mine has -- where the fruit ripens from bottom up. It's one of the few mangoes I have which will do that despite being in calcareous soil and not receiving nitgrogen.

I did sample a couple OS already and while very good I think PPK is still slightly better.  OS seems to have a prominent juicier orange juice flavor with some classic mango flavor blended in, PPK has more of a lemon/orange cream flavor with very little classic mango flavor.  The OS did have some minor soft nose and uneven ripening issues.  With all the hype surrounding OS I was expecting and wanted to like OS better than PPK.  But PPK still wins out over OS by a bit IMHO.

Squam I think also said he would plant a PPK over OS if he had to choose.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:33:33 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »
Nighthawk keep us posted on the M-4 please! Just picked one up this week.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
Nighthawk keep us posted on the M-4 please! Just picked one up this week.

Alex....just had about half of the M-4.  It's tasty.  Reminds me a bit of Bacardi Frozen Pina Collada mix, but not as strong.  Too soon for a full fair description, but there is some mild but pleasant coconut undertones and some hints of pineapple you get. The texture is more "juicy" than creamy. A bit like sweet coconut-pineapple water.  I suspect like other coconut flavored mangoes it needs sit a bit longer on the kitchen counter to come up to full flavor.  I've never had coconut cream, but this to me tastes closer to what Pina Collada is supposed to taste like than Pina Colada does.  It's better than the PC's I had last year. It's also fairly juicy and the lingering aftertaste is similar to that of Bacardi Frozen Pina Colada mix.  It's possible though that I don't detect coconut as much as others, as many other varieties that are supposed to have a coconut flavor profile like PC and Pickering I've never detected it.  Ironically the strongest coconut flavor I ever detected was in one SECTION of a store bought Keitt.  Go figure.

I'm going to give it another day or two on the counter and try it again...it seems to improve given more time even though it's already plenty soft.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:57:28 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 08:46:53 PM »

Guys if you have never ordered from mangoes from Tropical Acres Farms you need to especially if you don't live in Florida.  It is the only way you can try phenomenal tasting rare varieties of mangoes that you would otherwise never be able to experience.  Thanks again for coming thru for me Alex.

What was written on the M4 mango?  Is it "Muunds"?  Is that another name for M4?

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »

What was written on the M4 mango?  Is it "Muunds"?  Is that another name for M4?

Correction:
"Mounds" was Squams nickname for E4 not M4 as Zill hadn't named it yet.  Presumably for the coconut flavor.  So far to me it tastes more like an improved Pina Colada.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:10:41 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »
The coconut doesn’t come out as much when they’re harvested that green. Same for coconut cream for that matter.

“Mounds” was actually what I nicknamed E-4. M-4 I’ve had in mind “Coconut Dream” since we apparently can’t just give Mangos regular names anymore.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:56:48 PM by Squam256 »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
so e4 is not the same as m4?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:28 PM »

No...why would you think they are the same?
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »
Why not "Mary Ann"   in honor of Gillagans Island Mary Ann, and her coconut cream pie.   plus the "M" fits too.  :)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 02:17:55 AM »
Nice nighthawk, so pick early and get pina colada kick to it , pick later and get more of the coconut flavor, sounds like a win win!! 😁

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »
So Alex, "Mounds" was written on the mango and also said "M4", was it actually M4 or E4?

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »

I saw numerous post on this site said they were the same :/

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »

I saw numerous post on this site said they were the same :/

I would love to see posts where it said they were the same mango (as opposed to tasting the same or similar).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
So Alex, "Mounds" was written on the mango and also said "M4", was it actually M4 or E4?

The mango in that picture is M4.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
Thanks Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »

M-4. I didn’t write that.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 05:20:10 PM »

thanks for clarifying. Wondering when E4 would be out in market for sale!

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »

thanks for clarifying. Wondering when E4 would be out in market for sale!

E-4 trees should be available next year, according to Rob.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »

Gees - chill out ladies. Who knew a simple typo would cause such a commotion.  The names on the mangoes were hard to see on camera so I rewrote them.  I think E-4 is called Sugarloaf after the white pineapple of the same name.  M-4 I thought Alex was calling it Mounds as a nickname, but apparently that referred to the E-4 also.   My mistake - not Squams.  Whatever you call it has an interesting flavor profile.  One person said the coconut flavored mangoes don't improve with flavor on the counter after picked........I'm NOT finding that to be the case.  The flavor on the M-4 is improving daily.  Sweeter & more pronounced coconut overtones the longer it sits.   

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
A few weeks ago I brought home 3 M-4’s from Zill. All were solid green. I opened the first one that day as it was a bit soft. No good. Waited another 4-5 days till it was pretty soft and it was very special and different with undertones that stayed with me. It was the flavor of the inside of an Almond Joy.
For me the Sugarloaf is the most unique mango and should be right up there with Sweet Tart. It’s that shocking when you taste it. A dining adventure!!

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
A few weeks ago I brought home 3 M-4’s from Zill. All were solid green. I opened the first one that day as it was a bit soft. No good. Waited another 4-5 days till it was pretty soft and it was very special and different with undertones that stayed with me. It was the flavor of the inside of an Almond Joy.
For me the Sugarloaf is the most unique mango and should be right up there with Sweet Tart. It’s that shocking when you taste it. A dining adventure!!

Yep fooled me too.  The M-4 I had felt soft so I tried a small sample.  It obviously needed more time so I wrapped it up and been trying another sample each day.  There are some varieties that need more time on the counter than you think they do.  M-4 is probably one of them.  It does have a unique flavor.. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:54:40 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
Alex - Squam how are your 50ft high Edward mango trees doing these days? They were amazing when I visited in April a few years ago. Obviously before edible mango season, the Edwards wiere loaded with walnut sized. I used the words "mango cathedral"  here and they were. Your Edward grove was quiet. The winds were quiet and it was full loaded.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:42:13 PM by zands »

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 10:56:50 PM »
Alex - Squam how are your 50ft high Edward mango trees doing these days? They were amazing when I visited in April a few years ago. Obviously before edible mango season, the Edwards wiere loaded with walnut sized. I used the words "mango cathedral"  here and they were. Your Edward grove was quiet. The winds were quiet and it was full loaded.

They actually still have fruit on them now in August, which is quite unusual. They’ve been producing reasonably well this year.