Author Topic: My trip to Belize  (Read 19721 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: My trip to Belize
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 02:41:20 AM »
Hang on I'll show you an inga edulis.

This one seemed to be from a tree that produces fleshy pods with very nice tasting pulp.The grower insisted that I take it and try today.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
Howdy Oscar and Mike,

Thank you both for share them pics :) another awesome plant to have in the orchard 8) I have seen an Inga edulis fruit on the web that the fruit hanged from the tree and was so long that it touched the ground :o

In Brazil they are usually called Ingá-de-metro(Inga of a meter) and Ingá-cipó(Inga-vine) for obvious reasons.

I found few uses for Ice cream bean;

Uses;
Shade and litter. Inga edulis has been used as a shade tree for perennial crops--mainly coffee and cacao--since the beginning of the nineteenth century. Many farmers value it as much for soil
protection as for shade. The leaf litter protects the soil surface and roots of other plants, helps retain nutrients in the topsoil, and (most importantly for farmers in the humid tropics) controls weeds.

Improved fallow. In Amazonian Peru, Szott and Meléndez (1991) grew crops on land cleared and burnt after seven different fallow treatments. Land where Inga edulis had been planted gave the highest crop yields--34% higher than crops following natural forest fallow.

Alley cropping. In species trials in Costa Rica, Peru and Brazil, I.edulis was outstanding in terms of growth. Coppice regrowth was also good after pruning. In four out of five trials, crop yields were higher under alley cropping with I. edulis than in control plots (Smythe, 1993; Fernandes et al., 1991; Salazar et al., 1991; Salazar and Palm, 1991; M. Hands, personal communication). In two of these trials, crops performed better with I.edulis than with other species (Salazar and Palm, 1991; M. Hands, personal communication).
  The litter is high in nitrogen, lignins and polyphenols. It is slow to decompose, but provides a long-term build up of organic nitrogen (Palm and Sanchez, 1990) and effective weed control. Weed biomass decreased considerably in all agroforestry trials with I. edulis, much more than with other leguminous species (Salazar and Palm, 1991). On cultivated slopes, I. edulis mulch reduced soil erosion to levels almost equal to those under secondary forest (Alegre and Fernandes, 1991). Existing trials are still too new to ascertain whether I. edulis can maintain or improve soil fertility on acid sites in the long term, but results so far are promising.

Other uses. The large fruit is popular throughout the region where I. edulis is distributed. Fruits are sold in local markets in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Brazil and Costa Rica. The branches are a popular source of fuelwood, with a high calorific content and little smoke, but the trees are not cultivated specifically for fuelwood.

The link;
http://www.winrock.org/fnrm/factnet/factpub/FACTSH/inga.htm

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
High Steven, the inga does indeed improve soils with dropping of leaf litter. I can see big change under my tree, from rock hard to spongy mass. Also the roots fix nitrogen. Take a look at the root nodules on just a small inga plant i was transplanting.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »
 they look like giant churros.

I like the name churro bean better than icecream bean!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 04:12:37 PM »

Churros without deep fried oil...so a whole lot more healthy to eat!
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
High Steven, the inga does indeed improve soils with dropping of leaf litter. I can see big change under my tree, from rock hard to spongy mass. Also the roots fix nitrogen. Take a look at the root nodules on just a small inga plant i was transplanting.

Hi again, Oscar ;D
The root nodules look awesome on your young Inga seedling 8) I'm  astonished  reading about your soil's transformation from rock hard to spongy mass...From what I have been reading about this plant is that the ''spongy'' soil, that the plant creates by it's self, hold much more moisture(less irrigation) than normal soil and of course the plant is a water lover and doesn't like the drought. The tree start to produce around it's 3rd year and two plants are needed to have an excellent productivity. The tree prefers a subtopical to Tropical climate for proper development.

I found this vid on Inga Edulis;

inga.m2ts

Is it true...that the plant grows that fast in 6 months time? and looks like the seeds are in high demand...for rehabilitation of the soil and stopping the slash and burn technique that is destroying  our beloved lung(Forests :'( )

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
deep fried icecream bean?

sounds healthy enough...I will try soon.

Churros without deep fried oil...so a whole lot more healthy to eat!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »

Hi again, Oscar ;D
The root nodules look awesome on your young Inga seedling 8) I'm  astonished  reading about your soil's transformation from rock hard to spongy mass...From what I have been reading about this plant is that the ''spongy'' soil, that the plant creates by it's self, hold much more moisture(less irrigation) than normal soil and of course the plant is a water lover and doesn't like the drought. The tree start to produce around it's 3rd year and two plants are needed to have an excellent productivity. The tree prefers a subtopical to Tropical climate for proper development.

I found this vid on Inga Edulis;

inga.m2ts

Is it true...that the plant grows that fast in 6 months time? and looks like the seeds are in high demand...for rehabilitation of the soil and stopping the slash and burn technique that is destroying  our beloved lung(Forests :'( )

Hi Steven, yes it's true inga grows super fast and in super poor soils. Rather than bring in wood chips you can plant one of these trees, radically cut it back, and chip it, or slice it up with machete, every few months, and apply inga mulch around other plants. That is what they mean by alley cropping in that video. Keep in mind also that there are between 250 to 300 species of ingas, depending on what taxonomist you consult, so there is one that will fit most subtropical and tropical places. Some species also stay small. They all fix nitrogen, and all are edible. I have 1/2 a dozen species right now. This is a very valuable tree that has been super neglected, and could be used to great advantage, especially in areas with poor soils.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »

One thing I have noticed with Inga edulis is that the best local ones with big (3 to 4 feet) sweet beans and a high flesh yield don't have black seeds.They are shades of maroon with some almost black.Extracted from a 3 feet bean at perfect ripeness these seeds were in various stages of sprouting.This type has seeds fully surrounded by thick flesh.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
Don't think color of seeds has much meaning. I often see different colored seeds in same pod, usually black and green, depending on stage of maturity. But haven't seen marooned colored seeds yet.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
Oscar I think it is just a case of the beans I like best allowing me to identify them because they always have maroon to black seeds.It seems to be the case at various stages of ripeness.It is a bit like the brown seeded atemoya I posted in the other thread.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

Olá Adão,
Awesome to hear you also have Churros over there 8) We have them too. ;D The last time i ate them, was last year :o I'm on a strict diet...can't play around with them deep fried goodies :P

Hi Steven, yes it's true inga grows super fast and in super poor soils. Rather than bring in wood chips you can plant one of these trees, radically cut it back, and chip it, or slice it up with machete, every few months, and apply inga mulch around other plants. That is what they mean by alley cropping in that video. Keep in mind also that there are between 250 to 300 species of ingas, depending on what taxonomist you consult, so there is one that will fit most subtropical and tropical places. Some species also stay small. They all fix nitrogen, and all are edible. I have 1/2 a dozen species right now. This is a very valuable tree that has been super neglected, and could be used to great advantage, especially in areas with poor soils.

Hi Oscar,
 :o Super fast and in super poor soils 8) That's extraordinary! If I was in the tropics and deciding to plant a mangosteen(or other garcinias) plantation, this plant will be chosen as a shade/alley trees...The fertility of the soil will much richer and the mangosteen will grow much faster with the extra nutrients available in the soil 8) I check out a website that had a book on Inga and more that 250 species are documented. I also check out some species like Ingá Açu(Assu)-Inga cinnamomea which take 1 years to produce after planting,Ingá-cipó-Inga edulis takes 2 years are planting, and Ingá peua-Inga quadrangularis takes 3 years to produce after planting.

I agree, Oscar...Since they are from Fabaceae family...they will all fix nitrogen in their roots 8) Super neglected is very true :'( They will rise again  ;D I have also read a comment of person and quite frankly, he was really rude :o...citing the death to Ice cream bean for being an invassive plant in he's location >:(

If you don't mind me asking. What are those species of Inga you are growing?

One thing I have noticed with Inga edulis is that the best local ones with big (3 to 4 feet) sweet beans and a high flesh yield don't have black seeds.They are shades of maroon with some almost black.Extracted from a 3 feet bean at perfect ripeness these seeds were in various stages of sprouting.This type has seeds fully surrounded by thick flesh.
Hi Mike,
I found a similar Ice cream as the one you posted about. Maybe, you know this fruit loving Aussie? ;D
http://www.capetrib.com.au/icebean.htm
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 03:59:56 AM »

Olá Adão,
Awesome to hear you also have Churros over there 8) We have them too. ;D The last time i ate them, was last year :o I'm on a strict diet...can't play around with them deep fried goodies :P

Hi Oscar,
 :o Super fast and in super poor soils 8) That's extraordinary! If I was in the tropics and deciding to plant a mangosteen(or other garcinias) plantation, this plant will be chosen as a shade/alley trees...The fertility of the soil will much richer and the mangosteen will grow much faster with the extra nutrients available in the soil 8) I check out a website that had a book on Inga and more that 250 species are documented. I also check out some species like Ingá Açu(Assu)-Inga cinnamomea which take 1 years to produce after planting,Ingá-cipó-Inga edulis takes 2 years are planting, and Ingá peua-Inga quadrangularis takes 3 years to produce after planting.

I agree, Oscar...Since they are from Fabaceae family...they will all fix nitrogen in their roots 8) Super neglected is very true :'( They will rise again  ;D I have also read a comment of person and quite frankly, he was really rude :o...citing the death to Ice cream bean for being an invassive plant in he's location >:(

If you don't mind me asking. What are those species of Inga you are growing?

Hi Mike,
I found a similar Ice cream as the one you posted about. Maybe, you know this fruit loving Aussie? ;D
http://www.capetrib.com.au/icebean.htm

Steven, i guess the book you are talking about is the Pennington monograph on Inga species? The species of Inga i have are feuillei, edulis, spectabilis, ciinnamomea, velutina, and a couple others i can't remember or look up right now.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
Steven, i guess the book you are talking about is the Pennington monograph on Inga species? The species of Inga i have are feuillei, edulis, spectabilis, ciinnamomea, velutina, and a couple others i can't remember or look up right now.

Hi Oscar,
Yes, it's the Pennington monograph. http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=87

Impressive inga species you have, Oscar  8) I know them all except one, Inga velutina...will do some research :)

I even found a website...Inga Foundation 8) http://www.ingafoundation.org/ I will devour this site tomorrow ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

Hi Oscar,
Yes, it's the Pennington monograph. http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=87

Impressive inga species you have, Oscar  8) I know them all except one, Inga velutina...will do some research :)

I even found a website...Inga Foundation 8) http://www.ingafoundation.org/ I will devour this site tomorrow ;D

The Pennington book is very good, but it's not for the layman. Also lacks color photos, only has B&W drawings. Still worth it for us inga fanatics. I've heard of inga foundation before...looks like a good project. Inga velutina has a velvety bronze fuzz on the beans and also on the leaves. Here is a photo:
http://crfg.org/photocon/2005-4b.html
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

Hi Oscar,

The Pennington book is very good, but it's not for the layman. Also lacks color photos, only has B&W drawings. Still worth it for us inga fanatics. I've heard of inga foundation before...looks like a good project. Inga velutina has a velvety bronze fuzz on the beans and also on the leaves. Here is a photo:
http://crfg.org/photocon/2005-4b.html

Hi Oscar,
''Still worth it for us inga fanatics'' ;D

Thanks for sharing  :) Inga velutina in the pic...looks freak'n awesome 8)
Time is like a river.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »
Not sure if anybody id'd the last pic , I did not go trough all the replies , to me this looks like a Tabernaemontana , psychoactive additive to Ayahuasca . Also used in combination with Virola .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
At rustys' market there were ice crean beans -Inga edulis well over 5 ft and very thick but still young and firm and I got a 4ft 6 specimen.I noticed maroon seeds on an opened one and I was told they were from the same tree as the 3 ft 6 ones I got about a month ago.Unfortunately I left my one at work where it will stay for the weekend.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:14 AM »
At rustys' market there were ice crean beans -Inga edulis well over 5 ft and very thick but still young and firm and I got a 4ft 6 specimen.I noticed maroon seeds on an opened one and I was told they were from the same tree as the 3 ft 6 ones I got about a month ago.Unfortunately I left my one at work where it will stay for the weekend.
Never seen Inga edulis pods get nearly that long. Australia seems like the Texas of Oceania: everything is BIG!  ;)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:39 AM »
Oscar I am used to them being about 3 ft long but these were pretty eye-popping.It sounds like it could be just a couple of trees that produce bigger thicker pods than most.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
Oscar I am used to them being about 3 ft long but these were pretty eye-popping.It sounds like it could be just a couple of trees that produce bigger thicker pods than most.

Oscar's beans look so much smaller. Could it be different species compared to "Australian" ones?
What's the average length at Oscar's garden?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
btw, how many Inga trees per hectare one might need to get that significant increase in yeld of other fruit trees (up to 34% as some say)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
There are quite a few sp of inga in Oz, but noone really knows or much cares which is which, juyst that some are bigger and better than otehrs. The one that grows wild here in SEQ is similar to Oscar's edulis, but is a little wider and slightly more gold. There are a few of the inga of a meter types and the long smooth bean types around, but not nearly as many as the wild edulis types. In Northern NSW this species is on the environmental weed list, and must be close here. The types in FNQ are the longer and usually better tasting varieities brought in by bawss collectors. Mike, I'll put my hand up for a seed of the 5ft giant to put in on the farm  ;D.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 11:44:17 PM »
BMc my big fat one (4 ft 6) that was left at work over the weekend is gone perhaps purloined by cleaners.I am on a mission to get a 5 ft specimen now so just wait until after rusty's and I should have one.I better not shoot my mouth off until I have at least a 4 footer and hopefully 5ft + one in hand.  A workmate who lives near me got some on Friday so I might grab one of theirs on the way home.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 02:30:19 AM »

I got an inga of the good type from a friend this afternoon and it might not be 5 ft but it is the good type.Above are the seeds.

It looks like this inside.

Next week I'll try get a whopper.