Author Topic: Red Dacca banana tree ?  (Read 1817 times)

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
Red Dacca banana tree ?
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a "Red Dacca" banana for sale in the U.S. That can be shipped to Texas ? Also a genuine Ae Ae banana tree.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Red Dacca banana tree ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:43:25 PM »
I think red dacca = Jamaican Red = Cuban Red
-Josh

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:08:05 AM »
yes, in Hawaii the only red banana ever heard of was 'Cuban Red'
Since being in Thailand I have acquired what were described as nearly 5 different types of seedless red bananas, these also have red leaf stems and red trunks.  Some do appear to being quite large and thick like Cuban Red, some others appear to have more attributes of 'finger bananas.'  Slender trunks.

There is also the 'Indo Red' which is a seeded wild banana that also has red leaves, very attractive!

My reds are doing much better than the green varieties now so far, the corms seems to handle more moisture better, more suited to the equatorial tropics.  Which was my theory and why I planted so many reds.

If you are in Texas you may have the opposite experience, your soil may have too much drainage.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
I have a large one that hasn't flowered yet. It could be that it's under too much shade. Might be worth planting some of its suckers in a variety of positions to see which is the most suitable.

Apparently the "official name" is Red Dacca, but Wikipedia (for what it's worth) lists the following synonyms and comment. You might find it under one of those names.

Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Red'
Musa sapientum L. f. rubra Bail.
Musa sapientum L. var. rubra (Firm.) Baker
Musa rubra Wall. ex Kurz.
Red banana From Tamil Nadu
Musa × paradisiaca L. ssp. sapientum (L.) Kuntze var. rubra
Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Cuban Red'
Musa acuminata Colla (Cavendish Group) cv. 'Cuban Red'
Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Red Jamaican'
Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Jamaican Red'
Musa acuminata Colla (AAA Group) cv. 'Spanish Red'.

It is known in English as Red Dacca, Red Ranana, Claret Banana, Cavendish Banana "Cuban Red", Jamaican Red Banana, and Red Cavendish Banana.

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies .

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »
I was told once that cuban reds average about 2 years to fruit, I guess we will both find out!  I have some in full sun, and another one in a lot of shade, the one in full sun looks healthier has nice big sucker coming off the side, but the shade one isn't doing bad either, however has produded many suckers that are like 'duds' they don't do anything except peek out.  The one in the shade is also growing taller and throwing out very long leaves.  I'll take a picture later.. however they may be different kinds of reds, since I bought several kinds which were named differently.  (but all in all likely the same or maybe only 2 different kinds)

I have a large one that hasn't flowered yet. It could be that it's under too much shade. Might be worth planting some of its suckers in a variety of positions to see which is the most suitable.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
The Cuban Red is definitely a slow growing tree. The only thing that takes longer would be Fe'i. The Cuban is not worth growing in my opinion.
Biodiversity is key.