Author Topic: vanilla bean  (Read 1541 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
vanilla bean
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
Ok first self setting of vanilla beans for me,usually if I want beans I have to hand pollinate to get any.What is pollinating them in sw florida?They are growing up a large inga with black pepper and coffee under the tree had to trim tree recently to allow more light in .I looked up today to see beans yea!

I have seen this bee ? Euglossa dilemma

https://www.whatsthatbug.com/category/bees/orchid-bees/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:54:59 PM by shot »

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Re: vanilla bean
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Congrats! I don't know the answer to your question, but I had a similar one just yesterday. I looked out on my jade vine to see that I have several fruit (seed pods) set after this springs bloom. I thought we didn't have the pollinator here in Florida, but perhaps we do.

Makes me wonder if other non-indiguneous pollinators are afoot in our area.
Anyhow, enjoy your vanilla!
Keith

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
I believe it's a tiny fly that does it in Mexico. I have seen bees try to pollinate the vines as well. But it's not common. I am curious if our hummingbird moths do it here, it may be a possibility. Our vine is just setting out the flower spikes. It's a good time of year.
Biodiversity is key.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Good to know! How old/long does the vine need to be before it starts fruiting? Mine is young yet.

It would be great if hummingbirds are pollinators, because I do get hummingbirds to the yard, although I see them more often in Winter/Spring than at any other time of year.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
It depends really. In commercial growing they snip the new growth to induce flowering. So with this practice and proper feeding they could produce in less than a year. I was told to take large cuttings... about 10 nodes and this will increase vigor.

I'm not sure if Hummingbirds will attempt it. They are nectar feeders from what I understand. We don't have them here so I don't get to watch them. Was able to see some visiting our family farm in Oregon.
Biodiversity is key.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk