Author Topic: Black Sapote Propogation by Cuttings  (Read 2729 times)

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Black Sapote Propogation by Cuttings
« on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »
Sorry I don’t have a photo, I might soon. So recently I was surprised a discarded black sapote stem that was discarded onto the soil of a potted black sapote as mulch or whatever stayed alive for maybe a couple months, still green I figured I’d toss it out of the container and up came a nice little root. So I figured black sapote take by cutting very easily.

Today I searched the internet and found nothing about black sapote cuttings so far. Besides some none experienced based questions of why not.

While grafting some black sapote today I figured I’d put the rootstock trimmings into some random unused pots with soil in them to see if they take as easily as the other one. I should wait a few months and post more content but I’m eager to pick brains of others. I’ll update this post if there is quality success.

So anyone have experienced with black sapote cuttings or noticed black sapote trimmings taking root before?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Black Sapote Propogation by Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
This is interesting. I have no experience with rooting cuttings but do not the tree is virtually impervious to drought even in a pot.  Many have survived my neglect. However a rooted cutting may not convey the same tolerance and absent a tap root, trees can be very susceptible to wind damage. Keeping a rooted cutting tree small would likely be better.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
That is a really cool discovery. Please keep us updated on your experiment, I would love to see how it turns out!

I did a quick search on rooting Diospyros ( https://www.google.com/search?q=rooting+diospyros ), and was surprised to see that this is something that is done. So it looks like you are onto something!
- Mark

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »
This is interesting. I have no experience with rooting cuttings but do not the tree is virtually impervious to drought even in a pot.  Many have survived my neglect. However a rooted cutting may not convey the same tolerance and absent a tap root, trees can be very susceptible to wind damage. Keeping a rooted cutting tree small would likely be better.

For the humid tropics with little to no strong winds this sounds like a good way to induce heavier fruit sets =)

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 11:42:26 PM »
this might be a little off topic but does anyone have experience growing blk sapotes near the coast?
or near the beach?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
I was given a black sapote a while back, it's not doing all that well in the pot.  Don't you have to have 2 trees to get fruit anyway (male - female)?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
To get fruit from seed sometimes you need a male and female not all the time . Grafted tree will fruit on there own.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk