Author Topic: CA Honey Mandarin  (Read 3035 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
CA Honey Mandarin
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
I have scoured almost all of CA! Even the main wholesale growers including La Verne and Durlings no longer grow this variety. that being said every single local nursery you can think of purchases their trees from these guys over here....

The only people that have this tree is 4 seasons on a measly twig sized 1 year tree...How on Earth has the CA Honey become a relic in its own state? This fruit is definitely incredible....It's a bit seedy which I can see being a turnoff for commercial growers...but what about the little guys.....Dammit I want this tree!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
Re: CA Honey Mandarin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »
I bought one of those twig sized gold nugget mandarins last year.  ill just wait in anticipation till its mature enough to fruit.  if its that good, it beats waiting another season or 2 looking for a bigger plant right?
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
I bought one of those twig sized gold nugget mandarins last year.  ill just wait in anticipation till its mature enough to fruit.  if its that good, it beats waiting another season or 2 looking for a bigger plant right?

Yeah...I've already decided to bite the bullet and grab one....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
Clay, I'd buy one from Four Winds once they're back in stock, but until then, get yourself a Clemenules.  They are nearly identical in taste, and you'll end up with two lovely mandarins.  And, Gold Nugget will extend your mandarin season.  I'm still picking my lovely Gold Nuggets.  Made the best every margaritas with them yesterday for my birthday bash.  I make the best margarita in the state of California, all made with my own citrus of course  ;)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
Clay, I'd buy one from Four Winds once they're back in stock, but until then, get yourself a Clemenules.  They are nearly identical in taste, and you'll end up with two lovely mandarins.  And, Gold Nugget will extend your mandarin season.  I'm still picking my lovely Gold Nuggets.  Made the best every margaritas with them yesterday for my birthday bash.  I make the best margarita in the state of California, all made with my own citrus of course  ;)

Man that Margarita sounds like it was epic...I bet it was.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 1 year old CA HONEY from 4 winds...As far as Mandarins goes I think this might be it for me...Depending on which 1 I like the most(tango, kishu, honey, gold nugget), I may get doubles of it....I can much through 4 Gold Nuggets a day...I hope these trees produce enough to supply my habit.

Happy belated B-day as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk