Author Topic: Received Two Grapefruit Trees Today  (Read 2074 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Received Two Grapefruit Trees Today
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
Today I received two Marsh Seedless Grapefruit trees from Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery in Florida.  Both trees were in excellent condition, except for the root system.  Both trees were grown in the standard commercial 4x4 Citri-Pots, as is common for commercial grove trees. What I dislike about the Citri-Pot is that it forces the root to grow straight down,  and become very tightly, almost welded, into one big mass of roots.  It is very difficult to spread them out, so that the root system can be planted facing in all directions to make  a circle.  I had to take a knife and cut the root "Brick" into four sections and then try my best to unscramble the roots and then use a strong water stream to wash out the potting soil.   I don't fault Brite Leaf Nursery, as most all commercial citrus trees are grown in the Citri-Pot - except  by Four Winds Growers (my favorite supplier of citrus trees. - Millet

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Received Two Grapefruit Trees Today
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Marsh are the common commercial white grapefruit, right? 

Fourwinds does use citri-pots for their 1yr trees, by the way.  I received two this spring.  The root systems were still small enough that they were not tangled, though.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
Dr. Manners has written that in his opinion Marsh grapefruit left hanging on the tree until late February or March, is the very best tasting grapefruit available to man.   - Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
I just had the last Rio Red from my tree, and it's hard to imagine a grapefruit better than that one.  That's what I like about citrus, so many flavors!

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »
Dr. Manners has written that in his opinion Marsh grapefruit left hanging on the tree until late February or March, is the very best tasting grapefruit available to man.   - Millet

I'd have to agree with him if the fruit is grown in Indian River Florida. I didn't have the same experience with white grapefruit in  SE Texas even after March.