Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: New Zill mangoes -- The monoembryonic vs polyembryonic breakdown  (Read 9315 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: New Zill mangoes -- The monoembryonic vs polyembryonic breakdown
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2017, 05:52:14 AM »
I got a question for you guys. Given that shipping from USA can take up to 3 weeks and that Customs here is becoming more a more careful with vegetal stuff because of diseases like Xilella, purchasing scions is kind of a very risky bet for us. I've been said by another grower from Europe that rate of taking for imported scions from America is really low because of that. So I'm thinking now of another strategy to do it: Would be a safer, more successful way to get these new varieties, to bring fresh seeds of those that are poliembrionics? How long would a mango seed keep its germination capacity?

Why don't you pay for EMS?  About $45. I shipped mango scions from Florida to Phillipines and it took 5 days only.

Because of Customs, from USA to Spain EMS is 65, if Customs agents see a small, very light packet and 65$ for shipping, they will most likely stop it and open it. That's the problem with scions.

Nothing is allowed technically, but I had a lot of EMS traffic seeds to US, few from from US,  quite a bit within SE Asia and nothing ever got confiscated. Sometimes you just have to be bold and count your lucky stars.
You could also send first to one of the relaxed EU countries up north if you have friends there and than forward within EU.  Those countries with relaxed customs and don't care about tropical stuff, it presents zero danger to them.

Lucky you that never got nothing confiscated, but you are sharing your experience in Asia, so this is kind of futile comparison  :-\ . Here in EU things work different, growers that have expended hundreds of $ in scions got a lot of stuff either confiscated or delayed, so they got a very low percentage of successful grafts, if any. It doesn't matter either to which country you send them, rules are the same for all the Union as we are a single market, and an agriculture disaster in Spain and Italy do affect the whole of us. Besides with scions is all about time, adding another step to their travel don't resolve the problem: the longer it takes to arrive, the lower the rate of success. So in the specific case of poliembrionic mangoes, seeds seem to me like a possible good alternative to get some varieties. That's why I'd like to know if anybody have experience sending/receiving seeds, how long they keep they germination capacity and how well they resist all the shipping process.
Jose

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: New Zill mangoes -- The monoembryonic vs polyembryonic breakdown
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
5 days is great, in air-conditioned transport.  With fungicide moistened paper or cloth, and air-conditioned transport most of the time,  you can probably get some survivors at 3 weeks.
Har

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers