Author Topic: What is the best way to grow Atemoya and Biriba from seed?  (Read 2771 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
What is the best way to grow Atemoya and Biriba from seed?
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
I know the Atemoya is an hybrid between sugar-apple (Annona squamosa) and the cherimoya (A. cherimola), have cultivated cherimoya before and I know they do not like full sun from the beginning. So I guess the atemoyas want shadow when they are too small, then partial shade and full sun later (at what age or height?)

Regarding biriba: I know it's Amazon, very tropical and likes full sun but should I give full sun from seed from the start when sprouting? or should be in shade or partial shade in the beginning?

Does the seeds need to be soak in water for 24hs or so? (I put some of them in water and all are floating...)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:36:24 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: What is the best way to grow Atemoya and Biriba from seed?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Hi, I would use shadecloth for bitibá, but for atemoya I want to be sure not to kill the little plants in their start; so will give them shadow
but I would prefer to give full sun to the biribá if it's possible

any tip?
ONLINE SHOP:

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
hola huertas....hervis agua de esa con la que tomas el te o cafe...colocas el agua en una taza pones las semillas en esa agua caliente , espera que se enfrie....pasas las semillas a un frasco con agua y las dejas cinco dias, las que se hunden sirven, descartas las flotantes, sembras en macetas a un cm de profundidad, al cabo de un mes se inicia la germinacion, con los wonderberry no te preocupes no necesitan ningun tratamiento especial germinan a la semana los cuidados son los mismos que el tomate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
I know the Atemoya is an hybrid between sugar-apple (Annona squamosa) and the cherimoya (A. cherimola), have cultivated cherimoya before and I know they do not like full sun from the beginning. So I guess the atemoyas want shadow when they are too small, then partial shade and full sun later (at what age or height?)

Regarding biriba: I know it's Amazon, very tropical and likes full sun but should I give full sun from seed from the start when sprouting? or should be in shade or partial shade in the beginning?

Does the seeds need to be soak in water for 24hs or so? (I put some of them in water and all are floating...)

You don't need to soak biriba seeds. It is normal for them to float. It's best to start them in filtered sunlight, under shade cloth, or in partial sun.
Oscar

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
I have a bunch of biriba seedlings going and they all start branching at 1-2 inches in height. Why do they do this? Should I prune all of them to leave just one central leader and make them grow taller? I plan to graft them all onto A. montana when they are big enough. I want them to bulk up for one good diameter scion each.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »
I can't imagine how many good seeds people have thrown away due to the "if it floats then it must be bad" myth...
Já, ég er ađ rćkta suđrćnar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuđ. Jćja, kannski...

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »
I can't imagine how many good seeds people have thrown away due to the "if it floats then it must be bad" myth...

I never did it and many of them just sprouted. I had like 20 biribás from that time, very good plants! I sold 17 and now I have 3 georgeous plants. 1 to  2m tall or so.
ONLINE SHOP:

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:18:10 AM »
Dang it! I just threw out a bunch of sugar apple and cherimoya seeds cause I read that floaters are no good! Glad I saw this!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk