Author Topic: just ate my first cherimoya  (Read 3550 times)

natsgarden123

just ate my first cherimoya
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
I ordered a box from Cherimoya.com and I agree with Mark Twain: its deliciousness
Thank you to the person on here who recommended the mail order.  I had never tasted cherimoya. Wish it was easier to grow here....it is different from atemoya. And I like it !

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: just ate my first cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »
We had lunch today with a friend from Bolivia.  (My wife is also from there.)  And she said that cherimoya was the Bolivian fruit that she missed more than any other.  Enjoy your cherimoyas!  Deliciousness, for sure! :)
John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:30:10 AM »
The Mark Twain quote is that he said cherimoya is "deliciousness itself". This after supposedly tasting cherimoya on his trip to Hawaii.
I had a journalist recently ask me about cherimoya season in Hawaii. It seems that Twain wasn't here during proper season to have tasted cherimoya. So it's possible he was just relating someone else's experience and never tasted cherimoya himself.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:58 AM »

Cherimoya sure is a divine tasting fruit! Welcome to the club...Natsgarden ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man"
Love that Mark Twain

I'm on my third fruit in 2 days ( they all ripened together)- so far my husband looked at it an immediately  said that "he didn't like the texture"-I made him take a bite and he said that it is really good.

I brought one to my office  2 of the staff tried it-one girl is taking the seeds home for planting.

Which leads me to the next question:  Should I bother planting the seeds? Its a shame to toss them...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man"
Love that Mark Twain

I'm on my third fruit in 2 days ( they all ripened together)- so far my husband looked at it an immediately  said that "he didn't like the texture"-I made him take a bite and he said that it is really good.

I brought one to my office  2 of the staff tried it-one girl is taking the seeds home for planting.

Which leads me to the next question:  Should I bother planting the seeds? Its a shame to toss them...
I would be going through two a day, at least...

Here in SFla, planting of the seeds are only good to use as rootstock for grafting.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
Love that Mark Twain

Yes. I would try to germinate the seeds and use them as rootstock for your other annona graft. Which variety did you like the best? My top 5 varieties are: Fino de Jete, El Bumpo, Nata, Deliciosa and Sabor.

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
Oh-I don't do any grafting......just planting, growing, eating :)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
Oh-I don't do any grafting......just planting, growing, eating :)

They don't grow well in SoFL :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk