Author Topic: Yellow dragon fruit.  (Read 13287 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow dragon fruit.
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
"The Megalanthus on the other hand is a very sweet and tasty fruit."

Thank you for the very important information above. I have the Yellow-Dragon-Fruit (YDF), but I don't know if it's the 'Megalanthus' variety. I now have to get the 'Megalanthus' just to be on the safe side. I won't mind having two YDF plants if they are the same sweet variety, especially since the fruit is smaller than the Red-Dragon Fruit.

The fruit from the Yellow Undatus was really bland. I don't remember which thread I posted about the taste. It tastes about the same as the typical supermarket white fleshed variety of Dragonfruit.

The Megalanthus on the other hand is a very sweet and tasty fruit.

Simon
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 12:19:11 AM »
It's easy to tell the difference between the Undatus and the Megalanthus. The ins on the Megalanthus are scalloped. If you post a picture, we can identify it for you.

Simon

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 12:52:30 AM »
Thank you, Leooel
Very simple. One 54" tomato case and two pieces 1/2" or 3/4"electrical EMT from Lowe's or Home Depot. Cutting the 10-ft EMT in half. Two pieces 3/4" or 1" plastc PVC, 3-ft long.  I put the plastic pot inside the clay pot. Later if the top of your dragon fruit is too heavy, you can add rock to the pot to counter weight. I like to train my DF in a shape like an umbrella in early stage.
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:32:17 AM by miracle »
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »
Thanks...all.
Here is my progress from July 2013 to now...i still do not know where I can plant all of them  :)

August 2017  update. 
YDF grows in fourth year from seeds
Two yellow dragon fruits in pot do much better (flowers) than two yellow dragon fruits in the ground (no flower).
The seedling yellow dragon fruits set fruit by itself. 
Now I have to wait to see my seedling yellow dragon fruits reverts back to red or not as Mr. Fyliu said.

Let it be....

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 12:42:57 AM »

This is what I got from growing the yellow dragon fruit from seeds after 4 years. The fruit that I got from a yellow dragon fruit seedling is red inside and outside.  Completely different fruit than the one I got seeds from a yellow dragon fruit in previous posts.  Why?
Plant is self fertility. No hand pollination is  needed. Plant does very well both in pot and in ground.
Let it be....

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
I have a 3 foot long rooted cutting from a friend here, just transplanted it fron a ploy to the arbor, I read somewhere they like less water than the other varieties.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »

This is what I got from growing the yellow dragon fruit from seeds after 4 years. The fruit that I got from a yellow dragon fruit seedling is red inside and outside.  Completely different fruit than the one I got seeds from a yellow dragon fruit in previous posts.  Why?
Plant is self fertility. No hand pollination is  needed. Plant does very well both in pot and in ground.

Why? Seeds do not produce clones of the fruit they come from. Each seed is a new hybrid.

By any chance...  did you sell cuttings of your yellow Dragon Fruit grown from seeds on eBay?  :(
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:13:01 PM by ricshaw »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Best to grow many seeds for better odds. Hopefully it tastes good. Still a win if it doesn't require manual pollination.

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 12:40:23 AM »

Why? Seeds do not produce clones of the fruit they come from. Each seed is a new hybrid.

By any chance...  did you sell cuttings of your yellow Dragon Fruit grown from seeds on eBay?  :(

I do not sell anything on Ebay.   All seedlings are given out to friends and co workers. I hope some of the seedlings will produce a yellow fruit, then I will ask them to share back a branch to me.
Let it be....

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 12:49:52 AM »
Best to grow many seeds for better odds. Hopefully it tastes good. Still a win if it doesn't require manual pollination.

You are right... I  only kept about 10 seedlings (out of 100 seedlings) in one pot and two places in ground.  So far the ones had fruits are red inside and outside. One plant does not have any flowers yet.
Taste are  sweet, but not as sweeter than the other red dragon fruit that I grows.
Let it be....

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
I have a 3 foot long rooted cutting from a friend here, just transplanted it fron a ploy to the arbor, I read somewhere they like less water than the other varieties.
I water mine the same as other dragon fruits. FYI
Let it be....

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:39 AM »

Are you thinking of the yellow Megalanthus variety?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk