Author Topic: Which 3 avocados for Orlando?  (Read 8071 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Which 3 avocados for Orlando?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »
Are you wanting a live tree sent to europe?  Doubtful it will make the trip.

What you need to do is grow some seeds from store bought avocados in EU.  Then order scion wood from the USA and graft some trees.  Grow 20 or 30 seeds to increase your chances of good takes.  Let them grow for a year and become large and healthy.  Then order your desired scion types and do 10 or more grafts of each type.  Then grow the trees out and you will havenyour own seed and scion stock to spread around Europe.
Why do you think one avocado don't stand from US to Europe? I recently got one Fuerte from Italy and he got 7 days and arrive perfect...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »

What you need to do is grow some seeds from store bought avocados in EU.  Then order scion wood from the USA and graft some trees.  Grow 20 or 30 seeds to increase your chances of good takes.  Let them grow for a year and become large and healthy.  Then order your desired scion types and do 10 or more grafts of each type.  Then grow the trees out and you will havenyour own seed and scion stock to spread around Europe.
Why do you think one avocado don't stand from US to Europe? I recently got one Fuerte from Italy and he got 7 days and arrive perfect...

Its possible it will make it but packages often take longer than 7 days to Europe.  And it will have to go through customs which can take time etc.  And then there is the issue of importing plant material into the EU.  I have no idea what regulations they have. 

If you really want me to, I will go buy some mexicola trees or whatever you want and send it to you.  Its going to cost a fortune to ship it.

Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
Here is my first picking of 'Marcus Pumpkin'. Very large fruit, taste is similar to most Florida Avocados. This one is fairly productive, the tree is 6-7 years old and was mistreated but has bounced back. The one cut had fallen off so I have begun to harvest.

It is said to be frost tolerant but we seldom get frost.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 03:19:47 PM »

Its possible it will make it but packages often take longer than 7 days to Europe.  And it will have to go through customs which can take time etc.  And then there is the issue of importing plant material into the EU.  I have no idea what regulations they have. 

If you really want me to, I will go buy some mexicola trees or whatever you want and send it to you.  Its going to cost a fortune to ship it.
Thank you very much my friend, i already have one US friend that used to do it for me...

I already have one bacon and one fuerte trees.
I'm thinking to get 1 stewart, 1 duke 7, 1 winter mexican, 1 lamb hass, and 1 brazos belle.
But i have some questions, what's the best winter mexican or fantastic to an isolated more exposed spot?
What's more cold hardy, oro negro or lamb hass?
What's the best, markus pumpkin or bazos belle?

Thank you very much to every one that can help!  ;D

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »

Thank you very much my friend, i already have one US friend that used to do it for me...

I'm thinking to get 1 stewart, 1 duke 7, 1 winter mexican, 1 lamb hass, and 1 brazos belle.
But i have some questions, what's the best winter mexican or fantastic to an isolated more exposed spot?

Haha, dont get too excited.  Thats a lot of types, this is california and only the CA avocado trees are available at the store.  Im not going out of the way to get these.  Theres a nursery that has some stuff nearby.  They probably hve mexicola and stewart and lamb hass.  Oro negro and the others are florida avos, they dont sell those in CA. Duke is not common, no one around here is growing it unless its a collector garden.  Those other you mentioned, I hve no clue about them. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »

Don't waste your time on the Brazos Belle unless you want a cold hardy avocado to graft to.  That's one of our nasty "Tex-Mex" avocados that are caca - Joey, Wilma, Fantastic, etc.  Marcus Pumpkin is a typical W. Indies, Florida "Slimcado", another one I wouldn't waste my time on.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »

Don't waste your time on the Brazos Belle unless you want a cold hardy avocado to graft to.  That's one of our nasty "Tex-Mex" avocados that are caca - Joey, Wilma, Fantastic, etc.  Marcus Pumpkin is a typical W. Indies, Florida "Slimcado", another one I wouldn't waste my time on.
So, for you what's the best cold hardy varieties?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:49 PM »
So, for you what's the best cold hardy varieties?
[/quote]

You're like most Texans that strive to grow an avocado tree, it's tough.  They say" your best bet is Stewart regarding cold hardiness.   If you got the bucks do what I do and grow in a large greenhouse of really good varieties.  You can get into other crops like citrus, pineapple, tomatoes, mango, annona, pitaya, etc.