Author Topic: Pineapple growers - watch your bottoms - what to do for mealy bugs?  (Read 1829 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I was trying to stake up a leaning pineapple for a few more days of on-the-plant ripening. It still had some green and did not smell.  I pushed a stake in the ground and tilted it back up and found a mess down below.  Mealybugs and fire ants had eaten out a section.  After I was done fuming, thinking it was never going to ripen without rotting, I took it inside and cut off the bottom. I was greeted by a wonderful aroma so I cut up the rest.  Even though it still felt hard and did not smell from the outside, I have only had one pineapple better that I grew myself around three years ago. 

That brings me to the question.  I have around a dozen other pineapples in various stages of growth.  I was not able to look because it got dark but I am sure others probably have the same infestation, hopefully at an earlier stage.   What remedies are you guys using for this?
Brandon

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple growers - watch your bottoms - what to do for mealy bugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
I'm bumping this up.  It seems like a good question that never got answered NINE years ago.  Has anyone else had to deal with this?  How do you keep it from happening?

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple growers - watch your bottoms - what to do for mealy bugs?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »
I found the answer to this question and some others just a few minutes later by reading this thread: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40914.msg444068#msg444068