Author Topic: new greenhouse planning  (Read 42453 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: new greenhouse planning
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
I got about 80% done the concrete forms before it got too cold to work outside  :-(   

I am now stuck waiting until spring to resume.   All my trees will have to remain in the old garage-attic-greenhouse at my old place until then. 

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Zone 6 winters brrrrr.....

Well, you'll have all spring-fall to complete your project next year. Good luck on it. Looking forward to any updates...

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2017, 08:45:38 AM »
Took a brief hiatus to have a baby.  Resumed work starting in early summer.   It took a ridiculous amount of effort to build the concrete forms.  If I was restarting from scratch I would instead use masonry block or rented forms instead of building my own.  Yesterday was concrete pour day, forms held strong.   Next steps are to pull and stack the form wood, insulate the foundation, level the dirt inside, backfill, run utilities, then assemble the greenhouse itself.   The greenhouse kit looks extremely well manufactured.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby.  The baby will be a great and wonderful adventure for both of you.  Brian, it is really nice seeing you on the forum again.  I was thinking about you and your new greenhouse just the other day.   Looking at your pictures I was stunned on how much work it was just to put in the foundation forms.   When I built my greenhouse,  which is a 11-foot high hoop house there was much less items to put together.  Your greenhouse is going to be state of the art.  I know all of us on the form are excited to read about the progress as you post along the way the construction of the structure.  Nice seeing you again.  The best of luck.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Oh my goodness. Brian that looks just impressive and awesome. We (husband and I ) are thinking about putting up a greenhouse in three to four years too. Needs to be sturdy as we can have really heavy storms. No clue where to start but following you will be fantastic. Congratulation to your new baby. :)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Congratulations on the new baby, Brian! Good for you; building a greenhouse in zone 6 is the best way to grow citrus with less muss and fuss in the long run. I wear myself out running around covering and uncovering trees 6 months out of the year.

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »
Congratulations on your new baby Brian.  I look forward to reading and seeing pictures as your greenhouse building progresses.  Very interesting so far.

Cory

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. 

I'm really happy that things are moving along well now.  I was worried for a while that my foundation plan wouldn't work and I'd have to restart from scratch.  Susanne, if you build a similar greenhouse I definitely recommend the same manufacturer (Conley's) as they have engineered designs for various wind and snow loads. 

I took some time off from work this week.  Started stripping the forms off today to get a look at the wall.  There's a few air bubbles where the concrete didn't settle but I'm going to patch them, should be okay.   

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
brian, your greenhouse looks awesome. It's going to be great. Congrats on the wife and new baby/boss ! Tom

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »
Thanks, Tom!

I've started insulating and backfilling.  Two sides done.  It takes a while to get the foam cut, glued, clamped, and then spray foam in the gaps... then tape.  The backfilling is a breeze in comparison as the dirt only has to move a few feet.   I'm thinking I will stucco the foam above ground.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:14:11 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
That insulated foundation just made the entire greenhouse floor a heat sink. On a sunny day it will store a lot of heat and release it into the greenhouse during the night. .

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Wow, NICE job!!!!!!!!  Lot's of fine thought and work went into that.  What brand?

Being that we occasionally get down into single digits I can empathize with your dreams and considerations.  Took me 5 years but we're now enjoying and giving away the best Zill mangos (just grafted 7 new ones which took), avocados, pineapples, cherimoya, rollinia, citrus, maters.  You're gonna have some fun!!!!!!!!!!   :D

All my trees are in bottomless RootBuilder pots which I see you use.

Mark

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
I stucco'ed the outside of the foam.  I'll likely do another coat in the future, but its enough to protect the foam from scratches and dings. 

Set up a frost-proof spicket.  In theory the greenhouse will never freeze but i'd rather take this extra step just in case.  Frost line is 3ft deep here, I had to hand dig out a foot of dirt after rain collapsed the trench in somewhat.

My brother and I assembled the structure legs and attached all the purlin fittings.  I had to chisel-level the concrete around the anchor bolts a bit where it was rough.  I think we are ready to actually start putting the frame up.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Excellent, excellent, excellent work.  You could go into the greenhouse building business.  Thanks for the up date. exciting.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
Excellent, excellent, excellent work.  You could go into the greenhouse building business.  Thanks for the up date. exciting.

Hah I suggested that to my wife.  She wasn't happy  :)

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
...  What brand? ...

Mark

This is a Conley's "Hobby House".  Given the date on the instructional video they've been making it since 1999.  So far everything is going together nicely.  If it wasn't for the huge effort to do the foundation I think it would have been a quick project.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
Framing is nearly done. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the up date.  It is exciting to me and I'm sure the other members enjoy it as much as I.  You and your crew are doing an outstanding job.  You will enjoy that greenhouse for years to come.  Greenhouses really give a break from the winters.  You can go in on a cold snowy day and enjoy flowers, trees, fruit, and the warmth. Thanks again.

raggashack

• Austria, Vienna, 6-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
very nice work so far, now that is a real greenhouse, not the garbage amazon is selling :)

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
Was thinking about this project the other day and decided to open the citrus forum to look for an update. Glad I did!
Looks great, keep us posted with project.

Are you planting in ground?
Any heat options going underground?

This looks very nice looking forward to future posts. (Congrats on baby! Have a 3 month old myself :)

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
It's coming along nicely Brian.  I always look forward to your updates.
Cory

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »
Beautiful job!  Good that you have a tall roof and columns.  That will come in handy when you get 10' avocado trees like I've grown into using bottomless RootBuilder pots.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
Thanks, all.   Its still moving along.  I have about 14ft of vertical space in the center, and maybe 10ft at the edges

Forumfool, yes I'm planting in-ground.   I might do the bottomless rootmaker containers as Mark mentioned.   I have a large amount of rootmaker material already so this could be a good use for it.   I'll have to think about this.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
Thanks, all.   Its still moving along.  I have about 14ft of vertical space in the center, and maybe 10ft at the edges

Forumfool, yes I'm planting in-ground.   I might do the bottomless rootmaker containers as Mark mentioned.   I have a large amount of rootmaker material already so this could be a good use for it.   I'll have to think about this.

Have been harvesting these exceptional Reed avocados since June.  Wife is in the middle.  Empty pot gets an El Bumpo cherimoya.

2014, adding panels to expand the pot size of this Moro blood orange.  Large white roots have rooted into the ground.

Only way to go if they're in a permanent place.

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Mark what is the height of your greenhouse?