Author Topic: 4 plants 4 problems  (Read 2865 times)

lorewren

• Philadelphia, PA z7
    • View Profile
4 plants 4 problems
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi all,  I'm hoping to get some help identifying 4 different problems I'm having with 4 different plants. 

I've been into Citrus about a year, and all of these plants are grown in containers and less than a year old, all by mail order from either Harris or FourWinds.  Two of the issues I noticed when I first got the plants, and have been getting progressively worse over the summer.  All of the plants are in Miracle Grow Garden soil and perlite mix.  I've tried several different fertilizers to see if the micronutrients in any one of them might clear up the issues.  But just seems to be getting worse.

#1  Nordmann Kumquat
Yellowing of leaves characteristic of a metal deficiency.  Thin darker veins.  Newer leaves more pronounced yellow.  Plant came discolored, getting worse.

#2 Meiwa Kumquat-  (actually 2 plants same issue from same grower)
Yellow spotting, and small brown lesions within spotting.  Leaves drop before the leaves turn yellow completely.  Plant came discolored, getting worse.  Have lost about a third of its leaves.   Thought maybe Magnesium deficiency, so treated with 1tsp/gal Epsom salt, but still getting new developing symptom.

#3 Meiwa Kumquat -(different plant different grower)
Lower half of leaf turns a yellow green, then leaf falls.  Have lost nearly half the leaves on plant.  Some leaves show a puckered effect around the leaf veins.  Possible overwatering?

#4 Rangpur Lime
 Old leaf bronzing.  It almost looks like a sunscald.  But the location on the plant wouldnt suggest that.  Just a Nitrogen thing?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:37:17 AM by lorewren »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: 4 plants 4 problems
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
#1 The Nordmann Kumquats leaves are showing a Manganese deficiency. TREATMENT:  Use manganese sulfate one TSP/gallon  with water slightly alkalized with calcium hydroxide (slacked lime) at 1/2 TSP/gallon, unless your water is already alkaline. Spray the tree too run off.  Once a year should be enough .

#2 Meiwa Kumquat looks to be biuret toxicity. Is a major source of the nitrogen in the fertilizer you have been using Urea? If so it could be biuret toxicity.

#3 Looks to be a mild deficiency of Magnesium.  You said you been adding Epsom Salts (MSO4) which should take care of it. TREATMENT:Dissolve 1 TSP MgSO4 in one gallon WARM water apply to the root zone.

#4 Rangpur Lime.  Not sure. Possibility of an iron deficiency.  Might just be light green due to being new leaves.

Miliet

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:19:51 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »
Lorewren we are both in the same watershed (so we should have similar water) and I've been having similar issues.  I've been spraying with a small amount of that Jacks fertilizer every few weeks.  I see a new flush on some of my trees so I will check and see if they show the same symptoms as the new leaves expands

lorewren

• Philadelphia, PA z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:56 PM »
What's a good dilution for Jacks used as a foilar spray? 

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
I think Millet posted once that foliar fertilizer is absorbed at a rate of ... 10x root feeding?  Especially when used with a surfactant.  I've been throwing a pinch into 3 gallons when I spray soap to fight scale. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »
Yes, use at 1/10th the the ground rate stated on the fertilizer ba,  plus 1 tsp of a good surfactant. There are many good surfactants that you can use.  Research has show that the surfactant Tween 20 is the very best for applications on living plants. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Millet, assuming I'm already spraying inspect soap, this is a fine surfactant, right?

Btw, Lorewren, one of my trees that had similar deficiency pattern on recent new growth now has a new small flush.  Since the last flush (where I saw the deficiency) I have sprayed it with Jack HPF foliar two or three times.  I marked this new flush with a tag so I can identify it in a week or two when it expands.  If it shows the same symptoms then I think that means the foliar fert isn't enough and it either needs a larger dose of the correct micronutrient or there is some other cause.  We will see.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
brian, soap is a surfactant, not as good as an actual surfactant such as Tween 20, but should work. - Millet

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
Salesmen have always told me the thicker the better. I don't know if that is true or not but sounds good to me. Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk