Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 941340 times)

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2350 on: October 15, 2017, 02:31:23 AM »
I sent you the pm thanks for the help

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 16, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Anyone have some Frankie's red cutting that they're willing to send through the mail? I'm willing to pay.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 17, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
Oh never mind, I was able to get a hold of one. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:38:29 PM by SandyL »

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: October 21, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
So the news about the yellow dragon being imported into the U.S is true! I bought this at the market today! The price was something else to be desired though. Selling at around $8.99 per pound at the market I found it in. The one I picked was a bigger than an egg. They had several sizes to choose from. I think I saw a bigger one there which should be around the 1 pound range. Mine didn't have the sticker on it but if I recall correctly, I think it said it was imported from Columbia. I'll go back next weekend and find the ones with the sticker to be sure if they still have any left. I must say I really like the yellow variety. It is sweeter than the ones I've tried so far which but is the plain red and white varieties.
Now I want a cutting of this variety. Other than that, I guess the price is going to stay high since it's newly imported to the states. So I guess it'll be a while till the price goes down.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:09:48 PM by SandyL »

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: October 21, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone ever seen a dragon fruit morphed as part of the plant?

I grow quite a bit of dragon fruit but this is the first time I have seen this.

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Its going to be interesting to see what the inside of the fruit looks like when I cut it tomorrow.

Jo
Jo

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2355 on: October 21, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »
So the news about the yellow dragon being imported into the U.S is true! I bought this at the market today! The price was something else to be desired though. Selling at around $8.99 per pound at the market I found it in. The one I picked was a bigger than an egg. They had several sizes to choose from. I think I saw a bigger one there which should be around the 1 pound range. Mine didn't have the sticker on it but if I recall correctly, I think it said it was imported from Columbia. I'll go back next weekend and find the ones with the sticker to be sure if they still have any left. I must say I really like the yellow variety. It is sweeter than the ones I've tried so far which but is the plain red and white varieties.
Now I want a cutting of this variety. Other than that, I guess the price is going to stay high since it's newly imported to the states. So I guess it'll be a while till the price goes down.

Other big news is the importation on the yellow Giant Megalanthus dragon fruit from Ecuador.
This DF is super sweet. A friend measured 25 BRIX.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 21, 2017, 11:50:09 PM »
That's a good size I've never seen them that big

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:12 AM »

Other big news is the importation on the yellow Giant Megalanthus dragon fruit from Ecuador.

Woah, that one looks like it may weigh around 1 1/2-2 lbs! I hope the markets in my area get these too!

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:50 AM »

Hi,

Its going to be interesting to see what the inside of the fruit looks like when I cut it tomorrow.

Jo

I haven't seen one in person but I saw a video where a grower had this happen to him. His YouTube channel is Spicyexoctics.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »

Oh and where did your friend find the Giant yellow and will he be willing to share some of the seeds?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:47 AM »
Has anyone out there got any pics of ‘Pink Panther’ flowers and/or fruit, cut and whole? I’ve waited 4 years for mine to flower and there doesn’t seem to be much out there in relation to pics for this variety. Thanks, Anthony.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 22, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
Hi,
Jo
Growing near a nuclear power plant? :o

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 22, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
Hi,

No, there are no nuclear plants here.

I live in the Cayman Islands and here the environment is pretty good/natural.

I myself try to grow my plants as organic as possible. Eg. I only use neem oil for insect control when needed, table salt for snails/slugs, epsom salt and rabbit poop for fertilizing, vinegar for weed control etc.

Thanks

Jo

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: October 22, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »
Thanks SandyL.

I watched the YouTube channel by Spicyexoctics you suggested and it explains how this happened with him.

Really interested.

Thanks much,
Jo
Jo

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 22, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
Thanks SandyL.

I watched the YouTube channel by Spicyexoctics you suggested and it explains how this happened with him.

Really interested.

Thanks much,
Jo

You're welcome Jo! ☺️

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: October 22, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
Here’s a picture of a giant Megalanthus I ate a while back. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8090.msg180054#msg180054
I have one small giant yellow Megalanthus but it will probably be years before it’s big enough to sell cuttings. If anyone has the giant Megalanthus cuttings, I definitely want to buy!

Simon

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 22, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
Here’s a picture of a giant Megalanthus I ate a while back. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8090.msg180054#msg180054
I have one small giant yellow Megalanthus but it will probably be years before it’s big enough to sell cuttings. If anyone has the giant Megalanthus cuttings, I definitely want to buy!

Simon

Compared to the smaller s.m, which ones sweeter? And can you post a pic of your plant?
Also anyone that has a Cutting for the giant megalanthus or even seeds, I'm interested too.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2367 on: October 22, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »

Oh and where did your friend find the Giant yellow and will he be willing to share some of the seeds?

People are getting them from Linda Nguyen on Facebook.

More info from Linda, the Giant Megalanthus U.S. source....
"If you’re in Houston, visit our store 
10600 Bellaire Blvd #114
Houston TX 77072"
Price is $8.00 per pound, $15.00 shipping.

Several people I know have seeds.
I do not know anybody sharing seeds.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:30:03 PM by ricshaw »

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: October 22, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
Wish I was closer to Houston. Thanks Ric!

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »

Hi,

Jo

I haven't seen one in person but I saw a video where a grower had this happen to him. His YouTube channel is Spicyexoctics.
Its an uncommon result to a very common occurrence in growing dragon fruit. When a new portion of a plant grows, the hormone level determines if the new growth is either a new branch or a new flower. Most of the time there's little to no 'reproduction hormone' so the new growth ends up being a branch. When the season and conditions are right, hormone production ramps up and you see more flower production. However, if its borderline, you can have new shoots start as one thing and then revert to the other. Most of the time you get fruit buds aborting back to branches, and you end up with a new branch with a distinct 6 sided start, like two branches growing through each other. However, sometimes, you can get a branch start that ends up getting an extra little push into fruit-hood, and then you end up with this, which is a branch that changed into a fruit state, then changed back to a branch, and the plant continued growing through the fruity part. Its best to go ahead and remove this once youre done admiring it, as the fruit flesh will eventually rot out and you will have an unnecessary ugly section in your plant.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: October 23, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
I just received my Frankie's Red cutting and I'm surprised how skinny it is. Is this the norm for this variety?
But the cutting is about 2 ft long. Should I just leave it at that it is it ok to make 2 cuttings out of it? Which would you guys suggest? Thanks!

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: October 23, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
Frankie's red stems are usually thin compared to other varieties. I had two growing in pots but they rotted due to cold weather

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: October 23, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
Frankie's red stems are usually thin compared to other varieties. I had two growing in pots but they rotted due to cold weather

Thanks! I thought since it was a cross between the yellow and a red, I thought the stems would be similar to the yellow. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:45:02 PM by SandyL »

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »
No problem and good luck happy.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: October 23, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
Is anyone selling orejona cuttings in the inland empire I'm interested in buying some.