Author Topic: Can Gac be grown from cuttings ?  (Read 2060 times)

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Can Gac be grown from cuttings ?
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
I planted 10 Gac seeds and only one sprouted I kept the vine growing in the pot and set it next to a tree to climb
I know you need male and female vines and I planned on getting more seeds but kinda just let the vine go but it went below freezing a few hours recently (I'm in northeast Florida) and it didn't bother the vine at all so it encouraged me to tend to it more so I took it out of the pot and planted it in the ground at the base of the tree
My plan now is to either get more seeds or wait to see if its male or female then try to get a cutting of whichever I need
Please no talk about the fruit not being great I'm interested in it for the  medicinal use ,  I am legally blind with a form of macular degeneration and I know it obviously wouldn't fix that or anything but I like to keep my eyes healthy and the beta carotene in the fruit is supposed to be very high
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Re: Can Gac be grown from cuttings ?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
Thank you :)
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »
River, your best option would be if somebody wants to get rid of their Gac plants, in which case you can get both male and female tubers. Second option would be if you can get 1/2" to 3/4 " vine cuttings. Plant them in sterile moist soil and cover with plastic bags to keep in moisture. Grafting is very difficult.

johnnydo

• Zone 10a Loxahatchee FL
    • US, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
    • Tribal Arts Workshops
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »
I planted 10 Gac seeds and only one sprouted I kept the vine growing in the pot and set it next to a tree to climb
I know you need male and female vines and I planned on getting more seeds but kinda just let the vine go but it went below freezing a few hours recently (I'm in northeast Florida) and it didn't bother the vine at all so it encouraged me to tend to it more so I took it out of the pot and planted it in the ground at the base of the tree

What’s the status of your gac?
Some of mine finally started to have fruit but a bunch died I think because of over watering.
I have more I need to check the sex of and try to root cuttings of the females.

I am also in Florida.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:58:58 AM by johnnydo »
John

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
I planted seeds this time last year and only 2 came up.  This year when the heat came I noticed a bunch sprouting up in the garden.  I was surprised at the seeds ability to last in ground without rotting or being eaten.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk