Author Topic: Budwood in Texas  (Read 4374 times)

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
Budwood in Texas
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
Any idea where to get budwood other than the Citrus Center in Kingsville? There web site is down and Mark won't return my phone calls for some reason. Working on a Frankin Citrus Tree and it's really cramping my style with out access to some budwood. Any ideas?

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Re: Budwood in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:32 PM »
I thought it was strange I could no longer access the website.

Have you tried just calling the main number?

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:38:39 PM »
Any idea where to get budwood other than the Citrus Center in Kingsville? There web site is down and Mark won't return my phone calls for some reason. Working on a Frankin Citrus Tree and it's really cramping my style with out access to some budwood. Any ideas?

Try this mark.vanness@tamuk.edu

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »
A big thank you to Mr. Texas! I emailed Mark and waiting on his response.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
A big thank you to Mr. Texas! I emailed Mark and waiting on his response.

I have `12+ varieties I can give you for free. It is expensive to get budwood from the Citrus Center, $50+

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »
Wow, so generous of you Mr. Texas. I would be a fool to say no!

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »
Any idea where to get budwood other than the Citrus Center in Kingsville?

I know California home growers can get budwood from the CCPP but I'm not sure if they ship here to the Houston area. Kind of expensive too for non-CA residents. I'm curious to hear what you find out because I'd like to get some budwood for grafting here as well.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »
Any idea where to get budwood other than the Citrus Center in Kingsville?

I know California home growers can get budwood from the CCPP but I'm not sure if they ship here to the Houston area. Kind of expensive too for non-CA residents. I'm curious to hear what you find out because I'd like to get some budwood for grafting here as well.

The Texas budwood people can get budwood from CCPP and Florida for Texas residents. Yes, expensive as it ends up costing around $75-100 per variety. I have gotten maybe
a dozen varieties over the years. Still have 88-2, 88-3, 15-150, new zealand lemonade, giant key lime, sudachi, and some others.

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
The Texas budwood people can get budwood from CCPP and Florida for Texas residents. Yes, expensive as it ends up costing around $75-100 per variety. I have gotten maybe
a dozen varieties over the years. Still have 88-2, 88-3, 15-150, new zealand lemonade, giant key lime, sudachi, and some others.

Wow, I knew it was pricey but didn't realize it was that expensive. I'm curious what citrus grows well for you. We're probably 10 minutes or less apart.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »

Wow, I knew it was pricey but didn't realize it was that expensive. I'm curious what citrus grows well for you. We're probably 10 minutes or less apart.

Satsuma is the safest bet. I've only had freeze damage once in 17 years which was this year, a little bark cracking. Oranges and grapefruit defoliated but came back. OK.

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
Satsuma is the safest bet. I've only had freeze damage once in 17 years which was this year, a little bark cracking. Oranges and grapefruit defoliated but came back. OK.

Thanks mrtexas. I haven't tried oranges or grapefruit yet. I've had good success with Owari satsuma and Meyer lemon so far. I'll probably try to add some new satsuma and mandarin varieties as well as oranges. Might try a grapefruit as well.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »

Good luck!  About 2 mos. ago I did mainly t-bud and bark grafts on an older key lime tree in the greenhouse and most took.  I now have Hamlin orange, Persian lime and Variegated Pink Eureka lemon.  The girth on the t-bud shoot is already 1/2" thick at the union.

Very nice of MrTexas!

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
I'm a new gardener. I started collecting fruit trees a few months ago. I read some on budwood and grafting. Heck I downloaded a video on grafting from OSU extension service. It's a old video but very informative. Any chance you happen to host a grafting event or educational event for new fruit tree gardeners? I would be interested in learning so that my plants can thrive and not die (they get pricey).

ThangBom

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Not the right time of year now. Will be teaching this again in March: https://txrxlabs.org/classes/334/urban-homesteading-tree-grafting/

Bud wood from the citrus center is expensive, $3 a bud minimum 10 buds per variety and $35 for shipping.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:13:24 AM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:43 PM »
Phil, when the time gets near the next grafting class, please post this again so that any member that wishes to attend will be reminded. Thanks.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
This was my response to Phil after he showed his gold covered budwood in a Facebook fruit forum.  ;D This should work......

Philip Sauber, while trying to turn off my mind and go back to sleep this morn at 3:00 a.m., thought of a work around - change the photoperiod to keep your rootstock and then grafted trees in active bark slip stage. You're playing with the tree's internal hormonal responses, phytochrome. This can easily be accomplished indoors by supplementing natural light (south window) with a CFL bulb or two or getting fancy and setting up an indoor garden using LED or HID type overhead lights and reflective panels to increase efficiency. To induce this summer photoperiod drill I'd go with a 16/8 on/off photoperiod on a timer. I'd also fertilize with a high N food....... either encapsulated or Peters High Performance 25-5-10 to induce foliage output and never apply cold water to the pots. Now...you've probably already grafted.......:) You and I both know that wood won't hold until spring.