Author Topic: Buying citrus seeds? (are the seeds still viable?)  (Read 1910 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Buying citrus seeds? (are the seeds still viable?)
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:59:29 AM »
Has anyone here ever been successful sprouting citrus seeds that they ordered through the mail?

Am I just being stupid? Are there any chances these things can germinate? I see loads of citrus seeds being sold in online market places. Are the sellers and buyers just ignorant, or do most people actually get their seeds to sprout??

I read somewhere citrus seeds may not be viable unless you get them directly from the fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Buying citrus seeds? (are the seeds still viable?)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
I've received trifoliate orange *fruits* from ebay and forum members and succcessfully sprouted the seeds.  I've never tried dry seed.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Has anyone here ever been successful sprouting citrus seeds that they ordered through the mail?

Am I just being stupid? Are there any chances these things can germinate? I see loads of citrus seeds being sold in online market places. Are the sellers and buyers just ignorant, or do most people actually get their seeds to sprout??

I read somewhere citrus seeds may not be viable unless you get them directly from the fruit.

Citrus seeds can be stored successfully in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator for at least one year.
Dry the seeds overnight until dry to touch, dust with fungicide and store in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator.

I you get seeds that don't germinate they have been stored at room temperature. I used to collect at least a
quart of flying dragon seeds each year and did it for 10+ years.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
I also read citrus seeds take much longer to germinate if they have been previously dried out (5 weeks) and that the seeds are also slower to germinate, which makes the sprouts more vulnerable to mold. There was a comment by someone else that citrus seeds are only good for about 2 or 3 weeks if not refrigerated, but sometimes they can last up to 3 months.
I doubt most online sellers are aware of all this. Does anyone else have any other comments about this?

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
I also read citrus seeds take much longer to germinate if they have been previously dried out (5 weeks) and that the seeds are also slower to germinate, which makes the sprouts more vulnerable to mold.

Not if stored properly. And I did not read this I experienced this.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Purchasing citrus seed from on line suppliers is a big gamble, at least 50 percent of the time, or higher, such seeds are already dead and never germinate.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
If the seeds are are dried out they usually won't germinate. You want the seeds as fresh as possible. When I sell seeds, I harvest them from the fruit & ship the same day. I rinse them, wrap them in a paper towel & put them in a ziplock bag.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk