Author Topic: looking for lucuma  (Read 4913 times)

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
looking for lucuma
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
Hi everybody, I'm looking for Lucuma, if you have them pls pm to me, thank

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
Re: looking for lucuma
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
if you find some let me know
i am interested in a couple of seeds or seedlings

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
interesting fruit; juice tasted like creamy coffee milkshake to me.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Looking for this as well.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
This is one I want to grow too, I bought 2 seeds last time trade winds had them and I know for sure 1 germinated it had a huge taproot in fact I had apparently  had the seed in too small of a pot and the root grew a foot or so out the pot I had to cut the pot to get it out without  damaging the taproot I moved it to a bigger pot and it's been over a year and last time I dug down to see how they were doing I could feel it still had a root but still nothing has sprouted
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

lisar

• Saint James City
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:31:49 PM »
Theobromaca in Peru selling Lucuma on ebay right now. Seeds arrived looking viable.

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
Have large tree with fruit in North Thailand
Theres also another variety locally-sometimes available
If interested PM me

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
Hi, now I also have only yellow sapote.

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
Last year I've sold and trade a lot of Lucuma seeds. The variety I have seems to be "La Molina".
Should have seeds in a month or so.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 04:42:26 AM »
Last year I've sold and trade a lot of Lucuma seeds. The variety I have seems to be "La Molina".
When is the best time for grafitng Lucuma seedlings? How long does it take to fruit from seed planting?
Mike

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
Can reccomend Grapebush for seed quality. Well packed and posted.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Hi, how long does it take from flower to mature fruit?Does it continue to mature with cold weather?

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
When is the best time for grafitng Lucuma seedlings? How long does it take to fruit from seed planting?

As with many tropicals, I supose the best time is when it is putting new flushes of growt, and here it happens during spring and early summer, but sometimes also in winter, if weather stays mild.
All my plants were grafted or airlayered, so I'm not sure about how long it takes to fruit from seed, but think it should be something from 6 to 10 years.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi, how long does it take from flower to mature fruit?Does it continue to mature with cold weather?

Here it takes at least 6 months from flower, to mature fruit, maybe a little more in years with milder summers. I'm not sure if it continues to mature with cold weather, as we don't really have cold here, but as it comes from the Andean region, I supose it can handle some cold.

Can reccomend Grapebush for seed quality. Well packed and posted.

Thank you Troy!

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
Hello Posci35,

Do you think this species will thrive in Thailand?

I have 4 adult trees of this species here in southeastern Brazil and they flourish just for five years and do not make fruit, I talked to other collectors here and I do not think anyone has even fruited it here in the tropical climate, because it is a tree of the Andes, Altitude and cold winters and drier climate, a region quite different from the ones we are accustomed to growing.

Grapebush sent me cuts of his lucumas so I could graft my trees, but I decided to graft in abiu and mamey sapote seedlings, maybe this will help the plant to become tropical, I'm waiting for the result of the grafting, and hoping that my Idea of right!

To this day I only knew of Lucumas fruiting in places of altitude and with colder winter.

Alexandre

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
Hi, that tree  it grows hard on climate, and in my opinion grafting is not change behavior  of plant .

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »

Yes, I know that it grows very fast in tropical climate, growing is not what we want, because we do not want wood or leaves to make chas, we want fruits, but how much something is missing for production, I altitude or dry and cold climate, yes On the graft is an attempt to use a more tropical species to assist in the tropicalization of the tree, may be a way to improve adaptation.

Hi, that tree  it grows hard on climate, and in my opinion grafting is not change behavior  of plant .
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »
OK my friend, it so hard but it is a good hope for us.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
Just ordered some seeds from Theobromaca off of Ebay. He said the plants that the fruit originated from are grown in highland agricultural areas. I just got them all today and they are all looking in good shape, cracked one open to take a look and I am feeling hopeful.
I'm planning on germinating them like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ZwroqQOBY

I'll report back on germination in a few weeks hopefully.

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »
More than likely, these will be the dry type the so called da palo? I think. I have ordered from him in the past and got good germination. When I asked he said they were intermediate between the da palo and da seda. I think Oscar  from fruitlovers also has the highland dry type. The lowland moist type is the da seda and is harder to find. The la molina variety that grapebush has is an improved selection of the moist type made at the peruvian agricultural research centre. Even if youve bought some from theobroma U would grab some moist ones too. They are more heat tolerant being from lower altitudes.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
Awesome, thanks for that information.  I'm definitely curious to see what the fruit will be like, but cold hardiness is probably the most important thing for me. I'm zone 10a/9b so the hardiness is definitely a huge factor for me. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 05:58:06 AM »

Yes, I know that it grows very fast in tropical climate, growing is not what we want, because we do not want wood or leaves to make chas, we want fruits, but how much something is missing for production, I altitude or dry and cold climate, yes On the graft is an attempt to use a more tropical species to assist in the tropicalization of the tree, may be a way to improve adaptation.

if posci is in Chiang Mai in the mountainous part of the country, he has a chance since it can get 'cold' in the winter time.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
Hello Posci35,

Do you think this species will thrive in Thailand?

I have 4 adult trees of this species here in southeastern Brazil and they flourish just for five years and do not make fruit, I talked to other collectors here and I do not think anyone has even fruited it here in the tropical climate, because it is a tree of the Andes, Altitude and cold winters and drier climate, a region quite different from the ones we are accustomed to growing.

Grapebush sent me cuts of his lucumas so I could graft my trees, but I decided to graft in abiu and mamey sapote seedlings, maybe this will help the plant to become tropical, I'm waiting for the result of the grafting, and hoping that my Idea of right!

To this day I only knew of Lucumas fruiting in places of altitude and with colder winter.

Alexandre

Are your Lucama on Abiu growing or are you waiting for them to push still? I am very interested in this combo.
-Josh