Author Topic: Giant Abiu in Brazil  (Read 8892 times)

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Giant Abiu in Brazil
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:38 PM »
Found this Abiu cultivar of "Frutas Raras" in Brazil. The fruit is huge and the biggest Abiu I've seen. It only has 1 seed.

Their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/FrutasRaras.1

They called it "Abiu Gigante do Solimões". They've also been selling seeds.
I tried contacting them to ask about it but had no luck, no reply.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Abiu in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »
It isn't that big at all and might only be say 600g.Spherical types get bigger. Search on the forum for z4,e4 and others and pics of them I have posted.For some reason the 1kg plus abius cant be found in Brazil.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
It isn't that big at all and might only be say 600g.Spherical types get bigger. Search on the forum for z4,e4 and others and pics of them I have posted.For some reason the 1kg plus abius cant be found in Brazil.

You're correct Mike! I've done some searching. There are even bigger Abiu fruits (from your posts in the past).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:34:00 AM by sytanta »

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »

In Facebook, seek for Adhemar Gomes. He is the owner of "Frutas raras". But be advised: the prices are high...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
Just to illustrate the really good abius are spherical and big,

The good types also have no brown staining, don't brown much when cut, low latex and only one or two seeds.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
These vars exists in Brasil, but to my knowledge they are very rare. I never found them in any markets... Well, to be precise,  I found them just one time. But not so big.
Do you have them Mike? The tree I mean.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
In Facebook, seek for Adhemar Gomes. He is the owner of "Frutas raras". But be advised: the prices are high...

Thanks Cassio for the warning. I've had no reply from him so far, lucky !?

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
Just to illustrate the really good abius are spherical and big,

The good types also have no brown staining, don't brown much when cut, low latex and only one or two seeds.

Your Abiu fruit size is very impressive! Couldn't find in anywhere that people have such big Abiu fruits.

schizoidman

• Taiwan Pingtung, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
One of the best Abiu cultiver in Taiwan is called Jiu Da. It can weigh as much as 1.5kg!

Here is the introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo1Pr_0dYNw

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:24:51 PM »
One of the best Abiu cultiver in Taiwan is called Jiu Da. It can weigh as much as 1.5kg!

Cool huge cultivar! I wish he would have cut open the fruit to see how its latex looked like.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »
any chance of getting seeds to any of these good ones shipped to the US?

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »

Any chance of getting seeds of the spezific cultivar ?
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
He did cut it and if it isn't a z4 or z3 I will eat my hat.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
Make that z2 and they don't look that large in hand.

schizoidman

• Taiwan Pingtung, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »
This guy is a very famous breeder in Taiwan. He introduced hundreds of rare fruits from all over the world.

He mentioned in the film that the new cultivar was selected from around 20~30 seedlings and has been grafted to other trees to see how the characteristics can be maintained. After three years all of the grafted trees show the following facts and proved to be commercial ready:
1. >600g per fruit
2. >100 fruits per tree
3. snow white flesh and will not turn brown or "watery"
4. fruit won't split in case of rain or other weather conditions
5. round shape to meet customer's likes

The name "Jiu Da" means "The fruits will last long and big"! Shelf life claimed to be 8~12 days. Many orchards in southern Taiwan started production two years ago and the fruits can be bought in the market.

In some area of Taiwan they fruit 2~3 times a year!

Grafting may be the only way to reproduce the same characteristics, so seeds won't help.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:21 AM »
This guy is a very famous breeder in Taiwan. He introduced hundreds of rare fruits from all over the world.

Cool guy with great passion for rare fruits! Some breeders in Japan are awesome too. I've found a website that sells pretty many species:

http://worldplantsmarket.com

Not sure if they sell internationally.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »

He mentioned in the film that the new cultivar was selected from around 20~30 seedlings and has been grafted to other trees to see how the characteristics can be maintained. After three years all of the grafted trees show the following facts and proved to be commercial ready:
1. >600g per fruit
2. >100 fruits per tree
3. snow white flesh and will not turn brown or "watery"
4. fruit won't split in case of rain or other weather conditions
5. round shape to meet customer's likes

The name "Jiu Da" means "The fruits will last long and big"! Shelf life claimed to be 8~12 days. Many orchards in southern Taiwan started production two years ago and the fruits can be bought in the market.

In some area of Taiwan they fruit 2~3 times a year!

Grafting may be the only way to reproduce the same characteristics, so seeds won't help.
Good explanation !
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
Gray is a forgotten abiu here and I see them sometimes and they are very good. They can be 1kg (more than the threshold to be called a giant I think) and are productive. I stumbled across an exchange between Gray himself and Whitman on a seedling of a seedling collected originally in Colombia. Please look at the following exchange. Gray abius are in Florida and I wonder what they are called now.

Dear Don,
The Abiu, now named the Gray Abiu is quite popular in local markets as the tourists love the fruit, but the tourists have to be given a taste to introduce the fruit.
Enclosed is a photo of my 'Gray' abiu taken from my 8 ft. grafted tree. This fruit had a diameter 4 3/8 inches and weighed one pound eight ounces. This 'Gray' variety outperforms all other abius I am aware of. I'm sure my eight-foot tree must have nearly a bushel of golden-yellow fruit, really incredible! Unfortunately our Caribbean fruit fly has recently discovered this Amazonia fruit so we have to bag them.
Don, what I would really like is for you write a short article on this fruit to be published in Tropical Fruit News. Among the information desired would be:
The Gray Abiu will keep for up to 2 weeks without refrigeration. The fruit has to be handled carefully. Picked from the tree and wrapped in tissue and carefully packed in trays. We are now picking the fruit when the abiu is completely yellow with only a small circle of green on the stem end. The fruit when refrigerated will brown on the skin. But the inside of the fruit is still white and sweet as long as the fruit has not been bruised.
I assume this variety is named after you. How did you make the selection?
Where did it come from?
Is it grown commercially in Australia?
Are there any special horticultural requirement?
How popular is this fruit when sold in produce depts? Any special information on this particular variety.
How long has the Gray abiu been around?
If it is subject to fruit flies in Australia what do you do?
W.F. Whitman, Bal Harbour, Florida 33154, U.S.A.
--oOo--
Don Gray's reply:
Here is an update on the Gray Abiu.
The Gray Abiu tree was bought in 1980 from Avondale Nursery owned by Ian and Dawn Wilson. Ian Wilson kindly sold us this Abiu tree from his personal collection, as an abiu tree previously purchased had died because we had kept the soil too wet from the tree being heavily mulched. (It is with regret that Ian Wilson died in 1995).
The seed was collected by Alan Carle in 1979 on a collection trip to South America. Alan collected the seed from a place 200 m above sea level in Colombia, called Leticia in north west South America.
The Abiu, now named the Gray Abiu, is quite popular in local markets as the tourists love the fruit, but the tourists have to be given a taste to introduce the fruit.
The Gray Abiu will keep for up to 2 weeks without refrigeration. The fruit has to be handled carefully: picked from the tree and wrapped in tissue and carefully packed in trays. We are now picking the fruit when the abiu is completely yellow with only a small circle of green on the stem end. The fruit when refrigerated will brown on the skin. But the inside of the fruit is still white and sweet as long as the fruit has not been bruised.
Resorts here are cutting them up for fruit platters and brushing the cut fruit with a solution of lemon and water to stop the cut from turning brown (much like a cut apple).
William F Whitman and Don Gray
DATE: November 1996

MarMar123

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
So technically if someone wanted one of these giant abiu trees they could acquire one through what way? Cause I've been wanting a giant abiu tree for the longest and I still can find one for sale.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 06:45:08 AM »
What I wanted to communicate is that a large good quality abiu is already in Florida for over 20 years and Whitman seems to have acquired it. They do grow pretty true to type and no doubt its progeny are likely to be around but maybe not called a Gray any more. Giant is less important than taste, a lack of latex, having few seeds, no brown marks and not browning quickly when cut.

Ato

• Republic of Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Found this Abiu cultivar of "Frutas Raras" in Brazil. The fruit is huge and the biggest Abiu I've seen. It only has 1 seed.

Their facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/FrutasRaras.1

They called it "Abiu Gigante do Solimões". They've also been selling seeds.

Hi.

Is it possible to produce large fruits as seeds?

Republic of Korea Ato

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 06:28:58 AM »
What's the best cultavar in S.Florida to grow?
Www.sailing-charters.org