Author Topic: Dream atemoya aka dream cherimoya  (Read 3806 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Dream atemoya aka dream cherimoya
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
I am looking for dream atemoya or cherimoya plants, scions, seeds, or graft.  Is the seed true to the plant or does it need to be grafted?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dream atemoya aka dream cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:23:12 AM »
I am looking for dream atemoya or cherimoya plants, scions, seeds, or graft.  Is the seed true to the plant or does it need to be grafted?

Would need to be grafted.  You live in the land where the best moyas are available and the Dream cannot touch them.
- Rob

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:55 AM »
For real?  I never knew that cherimoya are better than atemoya?  I'm trying to find the best atemoya or annonas to plant in my garden when it is still young.  I don't want to plant something and then remove it because it wasn't good.. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:47:34 AM by Mikey »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:53:18 AM »
For real?  I never knew that cherimoya are better than atemoya?  I'm trying to find the best atemoya or annonas to plant in my garden when it is still young.  I don't want to plant something and then remove it because it wasn't good..

You are in an area where you can grow amazing moyas.  Just be very selective with choosing the best varieties.   There is not an atemoya I know of that can compete with the better moyas.

May want to look into planting some atone fruit too.  The beat white nectarines will knock your socks off.  There are some interspecific varieties that I would give up my mangoes to be able to grow.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
For what it's worth, I agree with Rob 100%.  (And go to JF for advice.  He seems to have THE Collection.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:09:10 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »

You are in an area where you can grow amazing moyas.  Just be very selective with choosing the best varieties.   There is not an atemoya I know of that can compete with the better moyas.

May want to look into planting some atone fruit too.  The beat white nectarines will knock your socks off.  There are some interspecific varieties that I would give up my mangoes to be able to grow.

I have the spicy zee nectarines/plum, peacotum, grenade pluot, sugar twist plurry, dapple dandy, and two other interspercifics that I forgot.  I'm tired of stone fruits, I can get a lot of the newer varieties at the local produce stores.  But it is really hard to get atemoya or cherimoya.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »
Exactly, plant fruits that you love that are impossible to buy in the grocery store.
The grass is always greener on the other side but those stone fruits are easily available here.
It can be hard to find good Cherimoya in CA even you know someone , they're just not nearly as widely grown .

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
I've got nice grafted "Dream's", I'm not sure next time I'll be in your area but send me a pm of you want to coordinate and I can bring it next time , if you don't need it yesterday.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
I find it a little hard to believe that you can get commercially grown stone fruits that are equal to homegrown, tree-ripened fruit, due to the fact that they have to picked hard to withstand handling and shipping.  Maybe if the fruit went directly from a small, specialty grower to a fruit stand or a specialty store...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:10:55 PM by johnb51 »
John

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
I find it a little hard to believe that you can get commercially grown stone fruits that are equal to homegrown, tree-ripened fruit, due to the fact that they have to picked hard to withstand handling and shipping.  Maybe if the fruit went directly from a small, specialty grower to a fruit stand or a specialty store...

The farmers market here actually have very good fruit selection.  These pluot I got today at the farmer market.  Dapple dandy, flavor grenade, and flavor gem.  They told me these were from Fresno area.  Too me these taste like they picked them yesterday.  Really fresh and juicy with lots of sweetness and sour for the dandy and gem.  Where as the flavor grenade was like and explosion of fresh watery crunch of sweetness.  I think the fresh fruits in San Diego and LA is pretty fresh.  Often time it is about a day in delay from pick to shipment to store when it comes to produce delivery in California. 

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 12:28:39 AM »
Believe it or not. The fruit goes from small, medium and large growers to the farmers market or health food store . There is a farmers market in a different location in this county 6 days a week. None of the fruit is grown in the county but it comes grower direct as it should be. There could be a much more developed farmers market scene in Miami / homestead area from what I saw. Fruit stands are great but adding cooked food options, music provides a destination to hang out and buy multiple things like fresh seafood , fresh bread, generally freshly prepared whole foods. I guess I'm just trying to describe how there is more grower direct to consumer options and 10 types of zaiger stone fruits at multiple stone fruit selling farms 6 days a week , it's definitely better than stone fruit I pick tree rope around here but that has more to do with varietals.
Same as most everywhere the fruit and vegetables at the supermarket are inferior.
I should mention there is about 10 "health food" or "specialty " stores within 20 minute drive so it's just very different in many ways.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »
Exactly, plant fruits that you love that are impossible to buy in the grocery store.
The grass is always greener on the other side but those stone fruits are easily available here.
It can be hard to find good Cherimoya in CA even you know someone , they're just not nearly as widely grown .

I have no problems getting the best moyas Cali has to offer, thats why I have been making these responses.

Really, tell me, where can you buy those Arctic Stars (just as one example)?  I have tasted a number of the better variety stones from you local farmer's markets and while better than in a grocery store, its no comparison to home grown (which I have also tasted).  There are certain top notch fruits available in terms of taste but you will never see them in stores due to undesirable characteristics for commercial marketing.  Oh. And yes, they are that good, as good as and some better than any mango or moya.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:20:05 AM »

The farmers market here actually have very good fruit selection.  These pluot I got today at the farmer market.  Dapple dandy, flavor grenade, and flavor gem.  They told me these were from Fresno area.  Too me these taste like they picked them yesterday.  Really fresh and juicy with lots of sweetness and sour for the dandy and gem.  Where as the flavor grenade was like and explosion of fresh watery crunch of sweetness.  I think the fresh fruits in San Diego and LA is pretty fresh.  Often time it is about a day in delay from pick to shipment to store when it comes to produce delivery in California. 

You mean like this?

Yes, many are very good and have been enjoying thoroughly but there are also many superior varieties that you could be growing that just will never be found at any store ir market.  The quality, as John stated, would be much better if you grew them your self.  Funny, you are aaking for average or even subpar variety fruits to grow while passing on the best...just cause you cant find them in the store.  You should really rethink things out.. 

- Rob

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »

You mean like this?

Yes, many are very good and have been enjoying thoroughly but there are also many superior varieties that you could be growing that just will never be found at any store ir market.  The quality, as John stated, would be much better if you grew them your self.  Funny, you are aaking for average or even subpar variety fruits to grow while passing on the best...just cause you cant find them in the store.  You should really rethink things out..

Agree.  I have 11 trees from davewilson nursery which Are the zaiger genetic fruit trees.  But I am beginning to replace them with trees and fruits that I can't find in most grocery store.  I'm only keeping the double blossom trees because they make beautiful flowers during the spring.  Beside the atemoya and cherimoya have a very aromatic fruit smell to it.  Imagine being under a blossoming atemoya tree during a summer day with a nice breeze and drinking tea or beer.  Yulp I did that yesterday and boy was it better smell than a peach, nectarin, plum, or apricot tree.  But it all about one's preference.

And I am finding new and better varieties all the time and replacing them.  Some varieties maybe mediocre to one's taste other may think it is superior.  I won't know until I try it.  You may think I am asking mediocre varieties but I won't know until I try it.  And my microclimate may produce diff fruit from your.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:34:20 PM by Mikey »

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:01 PM »
If my request are mediocre please give me some names that are superior and better.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:52:43 PM by Mikey »

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
 Rob,
That's wonderful your getting the good CA Moyas. I'm sure your in the know for where to get them shipped from . That does not mean good cherimoya is easily available in CA. I have seen CA Cherimoya for sale outside of a farmers market once, from South Coast Organics ,  you may have had some shipped from them.
It would still never be a named variety.
I'm pretty sure you can get Arctic Star from Frog Hollow or Kashiwase , maybe even Twin Girls farm. They have tasting tables of 8-10 varieties that are cirrently being harvested to sample at the markets .
It's like if Zills, Squam and Don mango sold their mango's at the same farmers market side by side but a different farmers market location 6 days a week.
There's also Andy's Orchard that may ship you some amazing stone fruit  varieties as well.
So it's stone fruit overload in Nor Cal at least but good luck finding a good Cherimoya in season, there's just not enough farms growing Cherimoya and some of them are only 1 acre.
I'd like to remember the commercial cherimoya acreage in CA that was stated at one of the cherimoya assoc. meetings , it's not huge though.

I have no problems getting the best moyas Cali has to offer, thats why I have been making these responses.

Really, tell me, where can you buy those Arctic Stars (just as one example)?  I have tasted a number of the better variety stones from you local farmer's markets and while better than in a grocery store, its no comparison to home grown (which I have also tasted).  There are certain top notch fruits available in terms of taste but you will never see them in stores due to undesirable characteristics for commercial marketing.  Oh. And yes, they are that good, as good as and some better than any mango or mo

[/quote]

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 12:46:32 AM »
For what it's worth, I agree with Rob 100%.  (And go to JF for advice.  He seems to have THE Collection.)

Thanks.  I just order from jf yesterday.  He was temp out of scions at the time of this post.  Plinia Price said dreams was one of his favorite.  So I wanted to know why?  Beside it will just add to my collection.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:59:27 AM by Mikey »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:11 AM »

Farmers market has amazing peaches and other stone fruits.  Not exactly cheap at 2.50+ per pound but they are very good.  They had the best white peaches a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:49:45 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh