Author Topic: The much maligned cherimoya.  (Read 1754 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
The much maligned cherimoya.
« on: August 12, 2017, 11:19:51 PM »
Im starting this after reading a thread in which BS Bullie stated that most cherimoyas were of better quality than atemoyas. I have cherimoya seedlings but ld only grown them as rootstock. Locally as Mike said, they have a reputation for being inferior to atemoya. Howrver they do grow better here than  atemoya, so if this is true, id like to know which varieties/seeds to go for. After peoples opinions on how they compare.

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
Re: The much maligned cherimoya.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
I think everyone agrees that taste is subjective. I prefer cherimoyas to atemoyas but they can be pretty close to taste. Cherimoyas tend to be sweeter and more creamy in texture. Some good varieties to seek out:

El Bumpo
Orton
Sabor
Honeyhart
Pierce
Nata

the list of good cherimoyas is large, but those are some good ones that come to mind.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
Im starting this after reading a thread in which BS Bullie stated that most cherimoyas were of better quality than atemoyas. I have cherimoya seedlings but ld only grown them as rootstock. Locally as Mike said, they have a reputation for being inferior to atemoya. Howrver they do grow better here than  atemoya, so if this is true, id like to know which varieties/seeds to go for. After peoples opinions on how they compare.

The best tasting moyas come out of California.   If trying to compare the two where the growing conditions are not eight for moyas, then maybe saying atemoyas are better is a true statement.

Here in Florida, we can really fruit cherimoyas.  Our best are atemoyas, custard apple, sugar apple and ilama.  When I get my cherimoyas fresh picked and shipped to me from California,  once you taste its plain and simple no comparison.  Cherimoyas rule and the beat varieties are truly some of the very best fruits in the world.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
I think everyone agrees that taste is subjective. I prefer cherimoyas to atemoyas but they can be pretty close to taste. Cherimoyas tend to be sweeter and more creamy in texture. Some good varieties to seek out:

El Bumpo
Orton
Sabor
Honeyhart
Pierce
Nata

the list of good cherimoyas is large, but those are some good ones that come to mind.

Gotta add Campas to that list.
- Rob

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:29:22 AM »
If you're interested in rootstock only, a researcher in UC Riverisde here has demonstrated that Chaffey is best for cold tolerance and White for heat tolerance. So combining the two might probably gives the best annona rootstock we know up to now.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »
Cherimoyas have been grown and selected for millenia in the Andes. I think that atemoyas have been around less than 2 centuries. While there might be some atemoyas that are as good, there are dozens of cherimoyas that are better than any atemoya. I think the main superior quality is really the texture of the cherimoyas, much more creamy and melt in the mouth than atemoyas.
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
There are quite a lot to add to this long list
Orton
Fino
CampUs
Santa Rosa
Helmut
list goes on

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »
Maybe thats it then, it could simply have been that the atemoyas performed better in Qld. No one in perth is really researching  what does well here. The cold tolerance of cherimoya is a bonus for perth. My ilamas have gone to god sadly. My cherimoyas are fine, my annona spinescens are strangely fine, along with my mountain soursop and my suncoya and atemoyas are alive but displeased. Are any og these cherimoyas landraces? Do they come true from seed?