Author Topic: Angie tasting like Pine???  (Read 2188 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Angie tasting like Pine???
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
I have a small Angie Mango Tree in a container that produced one fruit this year.

I picked it mostly green with a little yellow blush on its shoulders. I had some varmint eat young unripe watermelon off the vine and didn't want to risk losing the mango.

I let it soften on the counter top. When I figured it was ready, I went at it with a knife. I was immediately overwhelmed with a pine smell that was really off putting. To make matters worse, the more firmer parts not only had a strong pine smell, but what I guess was a strong pine taste (having never eaten pine trees before, I imagined this is what eating pine would taste like).

Though I was certain I was poisoning myself, I persevered . . . I grew it, dammit, and I sure as hell was going to eat the fruit of my labor.

I survived, but was thinking I'd like to get rid of the tree. Then I thought . . . maybe this was atypical? Maybe it was picked way too soon? Maybe it was an off year? I mixed up my own soil and have some pine bark chips in there and thought maybe they influenced the taste?

So to those with Angies, can anyone give me insight into their taste? Should I give this little tree another chance? It's a healthy tree and I like the concept of it, but if the taste is going to be what I experienced, she must go. It might not make sense, but I love the "mango" smell I'm used to from my childhood Hadens, and the piney smell doesn't do it for me.

Here are pics!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Angie tasting like Pine???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
Angie has a resinous flavor that about 50% of Americans hate. Conversely it is highly appealing to people from India and the West Indies for precisely this flavor profile.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
Oh yes, you'll always have that taste component with Angie.  Usually it's just near the skin, and the rest of the fruit has a very fine and pleasant flavor.  If I had known about it, I don't think I would have planted the tree, as Richard Campbell never mentioned it in his original, very glowing description of the variety when he was first promoting it.  No mention whatsoever, and we now know he has somewhat quirky taste in mangos.  Now that the tree is large, healthy, and producing well and early in the season, I'm reluctant to get rid of it.  Also, the fruit is large and very beautiful inside and out when it ripens properly, and VERY fiberless.  I've sort of become an Angie expert.  Any other questions?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:11:43 AM by johnb51 »
John

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:08:28 AM »
Try dehydrating some.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be looking for a new home for it. I don't mind having variety, but this one didn't sit well with me. I heard Madame Francis has a spicy Caribbean flavor to it, and the Madame Francis I got from a fruit stand this year were outstanding. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the seeds to sprout . . . is there anything that happens in shipping/prepping them for shipping from Haiti that would prevent the seeds from sprouting?

John, how old is your tree and how large is it?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be looking for a new home for it. I don't mind having variety, but this one didn't sit well with me. I heard Madame Francis has a spicy Caribbean flavor to it, and the Madame Francis I got from a fruit stand this year were outstanding. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the seeds to sprout . . . is there anything that happens in shipping/prepping them for shipping from Haiti that would prevent the seeds from sprouting?

John, how old is your tree and how large is it?

Madame Frances has a good bit of fiber which most do not want.  I also would not recommend growing from seed for a number of reasons, especially based on what you have already stated.

Are you looking for a mango with a specific flavor profile or characteristics?  Will this tree be grown in a pot or planted in the ground?
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
My tree is 5 1/2 years old.  About 12 ft. tall, but I prune it a lot, and won't let it get much taller.  This year it gave me about 90 fruit.  The squirrels and raccoons don't like the fruit--apparently they're not fans of the piney, resinous flavor either!  They much prefer Pickering.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
My tree is 5 1/2 years old.  About 12 ft. tall, but I prune it a lot, and won't let it get much taller.  This year it gave me about 90 fruit.  The squirrels and raccoons don't like the fruit--apparently they're not fans of the piney, resinous flavor either!  They much prefer Pickering.

You evidently have very intelligent vermin in uour area.  Please keep them there, dont want them around here.  Lol
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
Rob--

I just liked the flavor of the Madame Francis I got this year . . . best I can describe, they were "carroty", so I tried planting the seeds.

The Pim Seng Mun I tried at a tasting had the same carroty profile to it, and I got those started from seed.

I'm right now in Zone 9a, but will be setting up a little space in Zone 10a. My mangoes are presently in containers, but will be going in the ground when I head further south.

Thanks!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
Rob--

I just liked the flavor of the Madame Francis I got this year . . . best I can describe, they were "carroty", so I tried planting the seeds.

The Pim Seng Mun I tried at a tasting had the same carroty profile to it, and I got those started from seed.

I'm right now in Zone 9a, but will be setting up a little space in Zone 10a. My mangoes are presently in containers, but will be going in the ground when I head further south.

Thanks!

Unless you will have plenty of space or are just experimenting,  you are best off not growing from seed, for both tree size and chances are greater even when planting poly seeds that you dont wind uo with the exact clone but instead a random seedling of unk kwn taste and quality.

I have never known Madame Frances to have a carroty taste but your taste buds may discern flavors different than others.

Based on what you are saying, I would recommend a Mallika.  And do yourself a favor, spend the $30/ $35 and buy a grafted tree.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
That's the other flavor I don't like--carrot-y.  I chopped down Neelam.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »
John, you are correct. I had my first Neelam mango from my little Neelam mango tree and it had a carroty undertone to it. Loved it. Glad I have two more left!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:40 PM »
Neelam seems variable from the few I've had. Sometimes they are delicious, sometimes not.

Angie is indeed a "spicy" mango. If you let it get fully ripe, it will lose most of the spice, but it also loses the acidity that balances out the sweet when ripe. There are times when that spice flavor is stronger than others. I would think that it would be a little stronger this late in the season, since the tree is in its active growth period.

I think it's a great mango though. My wife loves it.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk