Author Topic: Grafting atemoya  (Read 3619 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Grafting atemoya
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:07:48 AM »
Can atemoya be successfully grafted to sugar apple root stock?o or ?

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting atemoya
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
I think the answer is "Yes". Because I had successfully chip budded Cherimoya on to Sugar apple.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
Yes. They tend to be dwarfing on sugar apple rootstock and I've been told shorter lived at around 9 years or so.
Dom

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
Sidney
 You can put atemoya on sugar apple. I like to put atemoya on atemoya it will be a little more cold hardy.
 Dom
What do you call dwarfing 15 to 20 feet that is how big they will get on sugar apple.

Mike

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:56 AM »
Sidney
 You can put atemoya on sugar apple. I like to put atemoya on atemoya it will be a little more cold hardy.
 Dom
What do you call dwarfing 15 to 20 feet that is how big they will get on sugar apple.

Basically slower growing. The ones on cherimoya grow at easily 2x the pace of the ones on sugar apple.
Dom

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Mike if you're up for some reading starting on page 50 in the "Key Issues" publication they talk about different rootstock used over in Australia. http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1653/
Dom

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
Dom are you grafting them on cherimoya. Steve from fruitscape  puts them on sugar apple and his plants grow nice and fast. Zill puts them on sugar apple. Last time I talked with Adam he was not happy with cherimoya. I am small grower I have only grafted a few hundred. As I said I like to put atemoya on atemoya but I will put them on sugar apple
Mike

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
We are in Florida not Australia or California. They may do better there but not here.
Mike

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
Dom are you grafting them on cherimoya. Steve from fruitscape  puts them on sugar apple and his plants grow nice and fast. Zill puts them on sugar apple. Last time I talked with Adam he was not happy with cherimoya. I am small grower I have only grafted a few hundred. As I said I like to put atemoya on atemoya but I will put them on sugar apple

Yes. The cherimoya rootstock is less variable than atemoya, and both are more vigorous than sugar apple. I've got some from Steve on sugar apple roots and the ones I've grafted on cherimoya roots are catching up in size quickly.

First pic is Birula (aka Super Lisa) on cherimoya roots. Second pic is a Lisa on sugar apple roots. Both get neighboring bushes growing into them from time to time like the Lisa is in this pic, both irrigated, both fertilized the same. Edited to add: they were planted in ground at similar size at the same time also.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:52:39 PM by TheDom »
Dom

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
In Brazil, Annonas are commonly grafted on Pond Apple (Annona glabra).  This is especially useful near canals and moist soils.  There may be some dwarfing with this, but this may be a good thing.  I have annonas over 30 feet tall.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
'Lisa' (48---26) atemoya has been reported by many customers, to be unproductive, though growing fine, when grafted onto Sugar-Apple rootstock.

I have not heard this about other varieties.

I have not heard of any controlled trials.

Sugar-Apple rootstock is the easiest and cheapest for nurseries to use, and produces lots of beautiful plants that readily sell.  These also usually continue growing well after planting at customers' well-drained locations that have adequate Calcium nutrition for vegetative growth.

The open question is that of productivity.

If there is a lack of productivity, investigate "hidden hungers", especially of Boron and Zinc and Calcium, which are needed at higher rates for fruit and seed production than for healthy leaf production.   Change fertilization, including foliar applications, accordingly.

Different rootstocks have different efficiencies at mineral gathering in different conditions.... 
Har

TREESNMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
Har
 What do you think of cherimoya here in florida. Is it  easy to grow or does it not just do well here
Mike

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 08:34:10 PM »
I have consistently heard that cherimoya is the best rootstock for atemoyas here in Florida.  But I haven't heard of any controlled trials.
Har