Author Topic: Mangoes in Aquaponics  (Read 4333 times)

jwthought81

• Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys
    • View Profile
Mangoes in Aquaponics
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
Hi,
In addition to my mini-fruit tree orchard, Im also an aquaponic gardener.  I recently decided to try and combine the two.  A few weeks ago I bought a mallika and an ice cream tree and promptly pruned them.  Afterwards, I decided to pop a few of the cuttings into my aquaponic system since in my experience, cuttings root remarkably fast in aquaponics.  I know mangoes grown from cuttings dont usually do real well, but maybe the nutrients available in aquaponics will help that.  It's been about a week or so since they went in and although there hasnt been any rooting yet, there is new growth.  Im excited to see what happens.

Mallika

Ice Cream

Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes in Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Do you think that they will get too much nitrogen to fruit?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
jw, what fish do you have in your aquaponic setup?  I thought about blue tilapia aquaponics, feeding them with duckweed, moringa oleifera, malabar spinach, tree collard, chard & other greens. 

jwthought81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
jw, what fish do you have in your aquaponic setup?  I thought about blue tilapia aquaponics, feeding them with duckweed, moringa oleifera, malabar spinach, tree collard, chard & other greens.
Right now, Im using a mix of tilapia and other wild caught cichlids,  Not ideal, but Im soon switching over to bluegill as they tolerate a wider range of temperatures.

Do you think that they will get too much nitrogen to fruit?
Maybe, but this has not been an issue for my other fruiting plants.  Of course, tomatoes and peppers etc might play by different rules than mangoes.  I do grow passion fruit really well in the system as well.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
cool experiment, jw, would LOVE to see you get those Mango cuttings to take!

Gary

jwthought81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the positive words of encouragement.  Today, unfortunately I had to remove two of the cuttings, but one of the mallika still looks good.  Fingers crossed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk