Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

cold hardy Citrus for zone 7b?

(1/7) > >>

Perplexed:
I live in Georgia in zone 7b. I'm wondering what types of cold hardy citrus can grow here? Clay soil is dominant in my area.

manfromyard:
Hello,

Snellville is a bit outside the heat island, but I recommend Citrangequats, Ichang lemons, or Changshas on the South side of  property.
If you only have an exposed spot, a Dunstan Citrumelo or Morton Citrange should work.

If you are willing to use containers, plant anything you want, but Meyer Lemons and Satsumas will need less nights of protection.

Just temper your expectations about taste. You should probably taste a few before you plant them....

Citradia:
I have Dunstan citrumelo unprotected that have survived the past two years. I think they make a decent version of a sour grapefruit. Note: it is a novelty tree to grow in cold climate without winter protection, not a store-quality fruit. It is better, more ornamental and noteworthy with larger more impressive fruit and leaves than poncirus trifoliata.

Perplexed:
Do you think croxton or dragon lime can grow in my area?

Citradia:
I have Croxton but I cover mine in winter and protect from severe freeze with space heater. Croxton comes from Columbia, SC which I believe is zone 8a and grows at Mckinzie Farms in Scranton, SC zone 8a, where it is protected with microsprinklers during freezing nights. I protect my grapefruit from freezing largely due to need to overwinter the fruit which takes over a year to mature in my climate. 7b you probably have hot summers so your grapefruit may be ripe enough to eat before the first hard freeze in your area. Croxton is real citrus; 7b I believe is a low of 5 degrees; I've lost citranges at 5 degrees and this past spring lost half of the height from citranges when it got down to only 14 degrees after they started waking up from a warmer winter/spring. You would have to protect Croxton or any other real citrus in 7b.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version