Author Topic: Fruiting Biriba, Rollinia deliciosa in a container  (Read 47715 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Fruiting Rollinia deliciosa in a pot
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »
Californiatropicals,

Thanks for the kind words!

the trees don't seem to like dry cold wind, but if kept humid and wind free, will be just fine, even with temps of about 32F!

Mine has been flowering nonstop for years now, and right through a few brief 32 F nights.

It does surprisingly well, maybe comparable to a slightly cold sensitive lychee tree...but hates cold dry wind even more I think.

SCORE! lol  this is very reassuring to me because  I've wanted to grow rollinia since  I saw pictures of it online.. I bet it tastes amazing!
 I managed to germinate 1 out of approximately 20 seeds from TopTropicals (this spring) and it's about 8 - 10 inches tall now.  I look forward to what it will do in the spring!  I've also managed to germinate another seed that a fellow TFF member sent me and I also recently found some seeds on ebay!  Well on my way to a future of rollinia! The fact that it handles cold well is excellent news. Although we do get a fair amount of wind where i live.. it's usually never a dry wind (being less than a mile from the bay). I also find it impressive it fruits so well in a pot!  ;D I must admit I've become a bit of a annona fanatic... have cherimoya, paw paws, custard and sugar apple and rollinia.

Some rollinias may stand sudden temperature drops, but they don't like months of nights below 50F. That is why they are a whole lot easier to fruit in Florida than California. I remember Steve Spangler of Exotica nursery in Vista, California trying to get his rollinias to fruit. I don't know if he was ever succesful? I don't know of anyone that's fruited rollinia in California, but i'm sure it could be done inside a heated/humidified greenhouse. Very dry air of California is almost as much of a problem as low temperatures. Flowers will not set as pollen is not viable when humidity is low.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Very interesting. 

One way to maintain inside-flower humidity after hand-pollination is to put tape over the flower opening.
Har

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »
Californiatropicals,

the trees don't seem to like dry cold wind, but if kept humid and wind free, will be just fine, even with temps of about 32F!

Mine has been flowering nonstop for years now, and right through a few brief 32 F nights.

It does surprisingly well, maybe comparable to a slightly cold sensitive lychee tree...but hates cold dry wind even more I think.

SCORE! lol  this is very reassuring to me because  I've wanted to grow rollinia since  I saw pictures of it online.. I bet it tastes amazing!
 I managed to germinate 1 out of approximately 20 seeds from TopTropicals (this spring) and it's about 8 - 10 inches tall now.  I look forward to what it will do in the spring!  I've also managed to germinate another seed that a fellow TFF member sent me and I also recently found some seeds on ebay!  Well on my way to a future of rollinia! The fact that it handles cold well is excellent news. Although we do get a fair amount of wind where i live.. it's usually never a dry wind (being less than a mile from the bay). I also find it impressive it fruits so well in a pot!  ;D I must admit I've become a bit of a annona fanatic... have cherimoya, paw paws, custard and sugar apple and rollinia.

Some rollinias may stand sudden temperature drops, but they don't like months of nights below 50F. That is why they are a whole lot easier to fruit in Florida than California. I remember Steve Spangler of Exotica nursery in Vista, California trying to get his rollinias to fruit. I don't know if he was ever succesful? I don't know of anyone that's fruited rollinia in California, but i'm sure it could be done inside a heated/humidified greenhouse. Very dry air of California is almost as much of a problem as low temperatures. Flowers will not set as pollen is not viable when humidity is low.

Very interesting data points.

growing/fruiting rollinia may not work where I am..but it sure is worth a try.. I have a really nice micro climate.  Being surrounded by the bay  humidity levels are higher in my location than in more inland parts.. I know sometimes in summer I go into the yard and I can feel the humidity.. I love it.. It may also be due to my yard being well irrigated.

Cherimoya seems to do well in my area and from all I've heard it's about the best annona.. SO there is probably no real need to grow others but I still have the desire to  to try a few others! haha.  I'm particularly interested in rollinia due to the fact that it is supposedly like lemon meringue.. my mom loves lemon meringue.. haha So hopefully I can fruit it here!  Although it will be a few years because  they are seedlings.

I also intend to build a greenhouse sometime. I may be moving in March/April so I will wait to see what happens before I do.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:55 PM »
Californiatropicals,

growing/fruiting rollinia may not work where I am..but it sure is worth a try.. I have a really nice micro climate.  Being surrounded by the bay  humidity levels are higher in my location than in more inland parts.. I know sometimes in summer I go into the yard and I can feel the humidity.. I love it.. It may also be due to my yard being well irrigated.

Cherimoya seems to do well in my area and from all I've heard it's about the best annona.. SO there is probably no real need to grow others but I still have the desire to  to try a few others! haha.  I'm particularly interested in rollinia due to the fact that it is supposedly like lemon meringue.. my mom loves lemon meringue.. haha So hopefully I can fruit it here!  Although it will be a few years because  they are seedlings.

I also intend to build a greenhouse sometime. I may be moving in March/April so I will wait to see what happens before I do.

Certainly worth a try. It's not hard to raise humidity when necessary using micro sprinklers or  misters. While cherimoya is an excellent fruit it's totally different than rollinia. To me rollinia is in a class of it's own. Rollinia doesn't taste at all like cherimoya or sugar apple.
Oscar

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
Californiatropicals,

Certainly worth a try. It's not hard to raise humidity when necessary using micro sprinklers or  misters. While cherimoya is an excellent fruit it's totally different than rollinia. To me rollinia is in a class of it's own. Rollinia doesn't taste at all like cherimoya or sugar apple.

I had two fruits set on my Rollinia here in San Diego and they got to about 2 inches across, then we got the cold nights and they dropped. The tree was only in a 7 gal pot. I am near the coast so the humidity is in the 70's a lot of the time, so they pollinated fine. It is just the cold nights. Next fall I'll get the tree in the garage on the cold nights., and then when the tree gets bigger I think it might hold some fruits longer.

Mark in Chula Vista , California

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
I had a seedling Rollinia pop up in the soil of a plant I got from Berto...so I'm assuming it's from a seed he had...

the leaves remind me of his fruiting tree...they're much more lance shaped than the oval shaped leaves I've usually seen.

I'm surprised this seedling is already starting to bloom, less than 3 yr old, 4ft tall, in a 10gal pot.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Good to know Rollinia fruits readily in a container. I have 4 Rollinia seedlings and was not sure what to do with the remainder. Now I can put 1 in the ground and the rest in containers  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:01 PM »
Californiatropicals,

They do not like our hot 100 degree super dry summer. The first half of the summer this year was humid and warm but the last four weeks were blazing hot. My Rollina were doing great until the heat came, I water them everyday.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:20 PM »
my oldest largest rollinia really flowering heavily...I think im going to step it up...in a heavier soil..the mix I have now is way too light...needs watering all the time...I guess its going into a 65-100 gal next

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »
my oldest largest rollinia really flowering heavily...I think im going to step it up...in a heavier soil..the mix I have now is way too light...needs watering all the time...I guess its going into a 65-100 gal next

Very nice tree, lots of flowers too :). Can't wait to see the fruit update.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Nice tree, and super commitment!
Interesting to see how small the leaves on yours are. Is that just a side effect of pot living?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »
Nice tree, and super commitment!
Interesting to see how small the leaves on yours are. Is that just a side effect of pot living?

i think the leaves are so small because its flowering so heavily...and maybe because it got cold when the leaves were forming...other than that I'm not sure.

It usually has larger leaves.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 01:16:44 AM »
I have high hopes for this Rollinia seedling...after being stunted by sucking insects as a small seedling, I thought this tree would have problems...but it recovered nicely after is 2nd year, and it flowered at 3 yrs old, and about 4 ft tall, in a 7 gal pot....and it actually held a fruit!  It's been holding on much longer than I expected, so I stepped it up into a 15 gal pot today.

if you look close you can see the fruit on the tree, on the upper right hand side of the canopy

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:18:18 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »
Hi Adam,If there are any of those Rollinia seeds still going how would I get a couple of them for my collection?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:33:24 AM by rac78 »
Russell

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
the tree is still holding a fruit!

maybe it will set some more?  there's lots of flowers coming now too.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »
the tree is still holding a fruit!

maybe it will set some more?  there's lots of flowers coming now too.

Congratulation on selecting a hardy strain for the pot culture crowd Adam!  Now we wait for a tasting of the fruit compare to its parent & Naming it as Adam's Dwarf Rollinia?  :D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
Adam,
Thanks for the update. I can attest to Rollinia's cold hardiness. My 5-footer dropped all leaves during the arctic freeze last winter. I thought it was dead. It's in a 5-gallon pot, sitting outside. It's now coming back full force, with tons of new leaves. I'm gonna repot it in a 15-gallon container, and will bring it inside next winter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:55:01 PM by NewGen »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
harvested a biriba from my little 15 gal tree yesterday...

it was the first flower ever to open on my 3 yr old tree, and it set fruit inside a greenhouse last winter.

The fruit was not very large, (probably because the tree is small, it was developing during the winter) but wow...it was very tasty!   It was just enough to share with another Biriba addict.  Unfortunately the seeds don't look viable...I would have liked to plant some...this variety seems precocious and productive.

The tree is setting lots of new fruits....so I will try my best to get them to ripen before the winter chill sets in!  I'm going to step up the tree into a 25 gal pot soon!  Must have more fruit!

here is the tree, during a thunderstorm, with a ripe fruit one the right hand side...hard to see.

I wasn't waiting for the fruit to fully turn yellow...I picked it as soon as it blushed more than half yellow.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Nice job Adam! Makes me hopeful that I can fruit mine in a pot!

Ed

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
I love your tree and fruit pictures.

Why didnt you planted one in the ground?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2014, 03:33:09 PM »
I love your tree and fruit pictures.

Why didnt you planted one in the ground?

thanks Huertas!

I plant them in pots mainly because it is cold where I live.  Everything I grow is in a pot!

it also gives me the advantage of being able to sell or trade the tree...(I am a nurseryman, and business man)

or to switch locations...I could take the tree with me easily anywhere in the state.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »
Was the fruit kinda soft at the time you picked it?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
Was the fruit kinda soft at the time you picked it?

not really...nor was it fragrant.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
From strange shape of the fruit it seems flower was not properly pollinated. Hand pollination might help in future.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
From strange shape of the fruit it seems flower was not properly pollinated. Hand pollination might help in future.

yes...it think i was not pollinated well, being in the green house...but now that it's outside, and warm out...the beetles have been ravaging the flowers....

and the fruits that have set recently all have a symmetrical shape.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com