Author Topic: Dont be a Stupid Plucker  (Read 1818 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Dont be a Stupid Plucker
« on: December 02, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
I often swing a bit on the ladder and hang on thin branches to pick fruit. I have nearly come to grief a few times. A plucker I have is not so good and I have worn mangoes and sapodillas a few times. Today I decided to pluck a pomelo from tree which was hanging about 8 feet from the ground. Here is the tree and offending fruit - well one of them at least when they were smaller.

I used to play basketball and fancy my leaping ability so decided to jump up and get it. I went base over apex with the 11 lb fruit landing on my head and shoulder and one of two more fruit jarred off landing on me as well. Thankfully they are spongy and I wasn't hurt. Mind you if a durian, coconut or jackfruit landed on you, you could be compromised. I will be a little more careful in future.
I am sure we all have stories of picking and dropping fruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dont be a Stupid Plucker
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
Glad you are ok, I’ve had close calls harvesting dragonfruit from my back porch and also picking Lychees from high up in the trees. I realize that as I get older, I will eventually have to bring down the height of all my trees if I want to avoid hiring gardeners to help with pruning and fruit picking.

Simon

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 11:51:31 PM »
I'm glad you survived the vicious attack Mike! :)

The last remnants of my white sapote fruit have just fallen. Whatever I can't grab safely from the ladder gets left behind. I'm with Simon, shorter trees! I need to prune my white sapote waaay back this spring and move a few grafts.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:07 AM »
Not a picking story, but your pomelo picture reminded me of a story about my pomelo tree.  It's a good size tree that produces year round with big low hanging fruit.  A couple summers ago, my friends and their toddler son were visiting.  The boy was running around the yard having a good time, not looking where he was going and ran head first into a pomelo and smack! down he went.  Luckily he was ok.  He just got right back up, started running around again and everybody was cracking up.  Watch out for those low hanging fruits.  ;D

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:53:02 AM »
Pomelo can be grow like a big umbrella with all fruit hanging at pickingheight.

My friends neighbour has one like that, looks very nice. I will ask to make picture.

Fruitdork

• Honokaa Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
we grew up calling um jabong here in Hawaii .
Jabong- the last sound you hear as it falls on your head!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
I'm glad you are fine Mike! Yes sometimes is easy to overlook danger, I remember few years ago when I was just separated from my ex wife, I started going to the Gym and running so I was in very good shape, so there was a big abandoned lot with fruit trees, lichies, mangos and Caimito, I had the idea to invite a group of friends to pick some caimitos, among those friends was a couple of lovely girls, so when the pole was too short to reach the largest fruit high on the tree, I decided to climb the tree to impress them, I had always be good climbing trees as a kid and now with the gym I felt great and 💪 so I went up to the middle of the tree maybe 3/4 meters high, pick the fruits with my hands and start to passing them to the ones on the ground, then I went up again 3/4 high on the tree, I felt great! Everybody was looking at me! Then vanity came again and I started to go to the top but the main trunk was getting narrow and weak for my weight, finally reached the top was picking a few fruits when suddenly something happened and a strong wind started to blow, hooo my goodness! The tip was bending with me hanging to it like a lizard! At some point the bending grade was so much that I could see the ground horizontal to my face! I was full of fear and thinking it was going to break and I ll fall from like 6/7 meters high, I started praying 🙏, those 5/6 seconds were like an hour to me! Fortunately the trunk didn't break and I was able  go down....I learned the lesson! 😄
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
Mike, yes you can try that on one of my durian trees when you come to visit. Mind you the hospital is about an hours ride from here. HAHA  Actually i just wait for durians and pommelos to fall to the ground. We then proceed to play football soccer with the fallen pommelos (not durians).
Oscar