Author Topic: Avocado tree help  (Read 829 times)

Zogar

• Florida
    • View Profile
Avocado tree help
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Hello.  I need your advice on what to do.  I just want one avocado tree in my backyard.  i planted two avocado seeds from my next door neighbor tree.  One of the seeds produced three stems.  One stem is about 12", and the other two stems are a little bit shorter.  One the other hand, the other seed produced two stems but I broke both stems by mistake while planting the seed in the new location.  One of the broken stems stayed alive and produce two branches and that is what it is left now.  I have included pictures of both. 

My questions are:
- Which one of the two seeds should I keep? (I like the one with the three stems better since it is a little bigger and I never broke any of the stems)
- If I were to keep the one with the three stems, should I cut the two smaller stems and just leave the bigger stem?

Thank you

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
if it was me, I would pick the most central stem and cut off the rest.  Then graft onto the central leader a foot or so above ground level when the tree is a few feet tall. 

That is unless you are wanting to wait many years to see what kind of fruit your seedling will produce.  Either way, I would aim for a central trunk that doesn't branch for several feet off the ground.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk