Author Topic: Best self pollinating Dragon fruit for S.Florida.in producton, disease & taste  (Read 1839 times)

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
In your experience, Whats the  Best self pollinating Dragon fruit for S.Florida.in  producton, disease & taste...and any advice on growing them here..
Www.sailing-charters.org

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
I have Haileys Comet, 3 different Yellow types, and they doing great, just got frankies red lisa and kathie. DF love S.FL. just waiting this spring for the Asunta family to be available.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
To be sure of the capability of a DF to self pollinate in my area (SW Florida) I looked for a clone which had proven itself in my area and used locally grown material. Besides pollination test for taste and size too. There were quite a few to choose from but I settled on this unnamed variety based on pollination, vigorous growth, color, size and taste. I am also planting Four-O-Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa)
nearby because I found them very attractive to night-flying Hawk moths which can help pollination.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I’m not in Florida but I would try to get Sugar Dragon and Yellow Dragon. Sugar Dragon is self fruitful and produces probably the most blooms and fruit out of all the DF varieties. The fruit are very small but one of the best tasting and my vine set 4-5 crops this year, it’s actually still holding late Fruit now. Sugar Dragon even if the vine is small, will set fruit, one of the most precocious varieties.

Yellow Dragon is also self fruitful and crops later in the year to give an extended season. Yellow Dragon is very sweet and tastes different than other DF varieties.

Both these varieties can be kept smaller and still be very fruitful.

Halley’s Comet is one of the slowest to fruit varieties and has fungal issues in my yard. It used to be one of my favorites but I now don’t recommend it due to disease and production issues. I would go with American Beauty over Halley’s Comet.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Is American Beauty self-fertile? How about Dark Star?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I have multiple varieties planted in my yard and get cross pollination so I’m not sure if it will set fruit on its own. I believe some places list it as self fertile but I’m not positive. If you have other varieties, it should rose pollinate for higher fruit set.

Not sure about dark star, I don’t have that one.

Simon

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Is American Beauty self-fertile? How about Dark Star?
I have the AB and only that DF in my yard. It produces well and I've never had a flower that didn't  mature to fruit.  If you wait too long to pick it it splits open and the insects appreciate it.  The wife loves them in smoothies. I like them but they're a tad bland for my taste

If you're ever in Naples you're welcome to a cutting
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:39:22 AM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
I'm new at Dragon fruit, and I appreciate you all for taking the time to comment..I'm building cement posts now , I've put in 6 with 2 more to go
[/url]
Www.sailing-charters.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk