Author Topic: Avocado grafting advice - what to do next?  (Read 1546 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Avocado grafting advice - what to do next?
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
I grafted several varieties towards the end of January. I have some multigrafted trees as well as single traditionally grafted trees (1 Scion per rootstock).

I’ve had a higher success rate than I’ve ever had (better than 50% with several scions still green and only 1 dead or black one).

For the grafts that are pushing on the single scion trees, a decent number have rootstock shoots that have grown from below the graft union and are now taller than the grafted buds. Should I leave these be or cut them back? Thanks

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado grafting advice - what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
I wouldn't keep more than 1 shoot.
Otherwise, they are taking away too much energy that could go to your graft.
For the remaining shoot, I would pinch the terminal too.
Warren

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:10 PM »
DOne!

Thanks for the advice. Never had avocado grafts last this long. Last year I was 1/15 or so and that wilted and died before the second flush.

How about for multigrafted avocados? I grafted onto lateral branches but left the central leader. Should that come off also?

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »

Contrary to what I stated earlier....This was a picture on how a local nursery grafts avocados (in March; on zutano rootstock).  They don't have or keep any additional shoots or leaves below the graft.  But then again...they propagate these avocados in a nicely controlled greenhouse, which contributes to their 90+ % avocado grafting success rate.  They cleft graft without any parafilm.  Just good ole rubber band and pruning sealer.

Regarding your question on multi-grafting....I would normally wait until the tree is 2 to 3 feet tall before forcing lateral branching for cocktail grafting.  But in your case, keeping the central leader is fine until all the grafts have a full push.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:14:20 AM by wslau »
Warren

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »
How long do you guys leave the parafilm on your avocado grafts?  Just leave it forever?

By the way did you move into your new place already CA Hockey?  I know you were in the planning phase but not sure if you ever updated your project thread with the tree layout.  Post some pics once things start going in if you dont mind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:19:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
I had got 2 seedlings that I multigrafted when they were 12 inches. one has Jan Boyce and Pinkerton and both took. Another one I did the same and waiting for results. I have a trick over how to sideveneer graft onto thin shoots, got good success in mangoes and cados too. Will do a live session with CA Hockey soon.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
How long do you guys leave the parafilm on your avocado grafts?  Just leave it forever?

You can leave parafilm (m) on forever, but it will naturally crack and degrade generally after 2-3 months in sunlight.
Warren

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:26 AM »
i just leave them on for at least a few months and then slowly peel back if it looks like its working, but I'm by no means an expert (hence Behl teaching me --  very much appreciated).

Thanks for reminding me about the project. We updated the plan -- it looks really neat now, and I'm currently trying to get bids from contractors. Trying to sort out the wheat from the chaffe. Unfortunately because I live in an area with acreage, folks want to charge Newport prices even though I don't live in Newport.

Will update that post with the new plans. I still don't have a good schema for organizing the plants. I've been sitting on that for a few months now but with the bids coming in I'm going to have to produce something.
-K

By the way did you move into your new place already CA Hockey?  I know you were in the planning phase but not sure if you ever updated your project thread with the tree layout.  Post some pics once things start going in if you dont mind.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:45:46 AM »
Trust me. I feel your pain CA Hockey. The "people" that show up at your house will gage their price based on what ($$$) they see. It happens all the time with me. They show up and give an insanely outrageous bid that I know the guy across the street isn't getting. They price according to what they THINK you make (or have)...drives me nuts. Sorry for the "Off topic". It just struck my nerve. Good luck to all! Chris
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk