Author Topic: Temporary irrigation with pool vacuum hose  (Read 865 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Temporary irrigation with pool vacuum hose
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
I am posting this in case the pool vacuum hose idea helps someone with any kind of irrigation. I have an old lawn sprinkler system I am reviving with some detective work. But until I get ir running I am using a Home Depot pool vacuum hose to water my lawn during the South Florida dry season. It is their own HDX  brand /35 feet long and $39.99/ and called heavy duty. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-35-ft-x-1-5-in-Vacuum-Hose-69235/203796282  We shall find out how heavy duty it really  is.
This pool hose will fit into a 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe coupling. So this hose mates well with 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe
Meanwhile I can water my front lawn in ten minutes. Hitting the parched spots first. Hit some fruit trees too.

The water is pumped from my well so the only cost is electricity.

let it rip!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:05:19 PM by zands »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary irrigation with pool vacuum hose
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »
I also found that hose also works well as an indoor central vacuum cleaner hose, very lightweight.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary irrigation with pool vacuum hose
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
:D In one of the pictures, it looks like the two pvc tubes are connected with a DWV coupling. You really want to use schedule 40 for irrigation. DWV couplings don't have much surface area to mate with your piping and will generally fail under pressure.

For a typical residential scenario, 1 inch PVC works well. 1 inch pvc under modest pressure can carry upwards of 40 GPM. And a typical irrigation head will use around 2 GPM.

When PVC welding, always be sure to use primer first. I've seen PVC welds fail on irrigation tubing when primer is not used. It can take a decade or so, but they can and do fail. Usually, you get lucky and the dirt holds things together.

If you're using schedule 40 PVC, you only need bury a couple of inches below the surface. Schedule 40 resists shovel penetration quite well.
Jeff  :-)