Author Topic: Seedling Atemoya flowering at 1 year  (Read 1052 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Seedling Atemoya flowering at 1 year
« on: May 21, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Well, that was fast.

I planted Atemoya seeds from Top Tropical on May 3, 2017, and they began sprouting May 20, 2017. In between all the rain here lately, I was checking things out in the yard. One of the Atemoya seedlings was bent over, so I lifted it to see about staking it. To my surprise, it had flowers! Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are any pollinators here, and I don't know how to hand pollinate. I'm still in Spring Hill (zone 9a), and this plant was exposed to some colder temps this year and got moved around a lot during winter--not sure if that has anything to do with it flowering so young.

Should I stake it if it's leaning over a lot or let it strengthen up without support?

Thanks!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Atemoya flowering at 1 year
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
It is not uncommon for young annona seedlings to flower. Some of my small sugar apples also did
this but no fruit set until the next year. If you get fruit set I would pull the fruit and let the plant focus on growing
this season while the weather is perfect. It's amazing how fast these trees grow and start producing.
By next year the trees will be 6'+ and can hold some fruit.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »
Thanks for that info. Do you hand pollinate yours? Thanks!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »
I have never hand pollinated. I have 4 Na Dai sugar apples and so far the flowers are
drying up and turning black. I suspect this early rainy more humid weather we have had
will make the difference and the flowers will start setting. I do have a Lisa and Tim atemoya
and also their flowers have not set fruit. But my Dream has fruit all over it including some
already the size of fifty cent pieces. I ate sugar apples for the first time last year and I was
very impressed. I have a dozen seedlings from last year of different types. I got some Na Dai
from a forum member that are suppose to be the best. I have 3 and they sprouted around December
or later and are less then a foot tall. One of them had a flower last week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk