Author Topic: #Kerala floods 2018  (Read 3042 times)

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
#Kerala floods 2018
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
Our state Kerala is on a massive floods...lot of people are still in trouble...pray for us... :-[

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Re: #Kerala floods 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
Stay safe and take care. 

I was just going to start a thread to let others know about the situation there, but you have already posted, so I'm not going to start another one.

FruitAddict

• Zone 11a
    • Limpopo, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
We are thinking of you and you are in our prayers.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
ajeshcool, I am so sorry you are going through this. One of my friends is from India and she started a gofundme page to help.

https://www.gofundme.com/kerala-flood-lending-a-hand

- Mark

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
Also Thailand and Laos have massive floodings...and more rain is coming this week...

In Laos a dam broke killing hundreds of people.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend!! 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:12:12 PM »
Saw that in the news. So sorry Ajesh to hear about that! Praying for you that the rains stop and all returns to normal. I visited Kerala and it is a lovely part of India. Beautiful people too. My best to you all there. Where your gardens flooded? Is the flood in your area?
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Stay safe down there in floods. here we are in severe drought burning in California. amazing mother nature.

ajeshcool47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »
fruitlovers. rain has stepped back now , water level is going down...half of my farm was in water for 3 days..
behlgarden, nature is behaving very strange, we ve never seen this much rain in the history of Kerala...i think human being itself is responsible for these, they ve done that much harm to nature... :-\ :'(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 01:46:20 AM »
fruitlovers. rain has stepped back now , water level is going down...half of my farm was in water for 3 days..
behlgarden, nature is behaving very strange, we ve never seen this much rain in the history of Kerala...i think human being itself is responsible for these, they ve done that much harm to nature... :-\ :'(
Ajesh, great to hear that water level is going down. Hope all your trees survived the flooding. Is your family and house ok? Saw footage of people being rescued from their rooftops by helicopter.
Oscar

ajeshcool47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »
fruitlovers,my home is safe , i am a fireman , got opportunity to rescue some people, Indian Navy also rescues some with helicopters..around 300 people died in the last week, around 10 lakh people are in relief camps...

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »

Ajesh, I can only imagine what you and others are going through. My family members in Kochi and Aluva were also affected and had to be evacuated. Did you have to move out?  Were any houses in your area  flooded?

Hoping and praying that life gets back to normal as quickly as possible. It's great that you got to rescue people; I have been watching the news and reading about
the fishermen who saved hundreds of lives, without seeking anything in return.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 04:17:01 PM »
I hope the casualties are really minimum.

The good news is both the UAE and Qatar have send relief aids, hopefully it will arrive very soon to you guys.
Moh'd

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
My concern and prayers for all.  (As far as the "why," the science behind it has been understood and explained--nature is "behaving" in the appropriate way--but there has been no political will to do anything about it.  Unfortunately, the poorest and those least responsible suffer the most.)
John

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 08:07:31 PM »
A MAN MADE DISASTER
Disheartened and sorry to see this devastation by the monsoon rains in Kerala and Karnataka. My condolences and sympathy to all those affected by this calamity.
The Western Ghats are one of the 8 hot spots of the biologica diversity in the UNESCO World Heritage list. It spreads from Gujarat into Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamilnad. Those mountains are millions of years older than the Himalayas!
After the recommendation of the UNESCO for preservation of this mountainous area Indian Government formed the Western Ghats Experts Ecology Panel (WGEEP) headed by a well known ecologist Mr Madhav Gadgil from Indian Institution Of Science. Zoning those areas into 3 zones. Zone 1 area where no plantation and agricultural activities done. The main devastated areas are in Zone 1 as stated in the report.
I was visiting India when they released this report 7 years ago. Subsequently some of the farmers backed up by the Kerala Christian Churches who were the main supporters of the Kerala Congress Party opposed the committee report with (violent) street protests demanding not to ban on Agriculture and Plantation activities in Zone1.
 The Kerala STATE UDF and LDF governments with the Idukki and Thamarassery Bishops influencing them acted against the recommendation of the WGEEP report. Central UPA Congress Party Government gave in. The Environmental Central Minister was replaced and the newly appointed minister Mr. Moily announced on 15th January 2014 that each state bordering the Western Ghats should appoint their own Commission in this matter!  Same year UPA lost the general elections.
DO NOT BLAME NATURE ONLY. This calamity could have been avoided if man has respected the ECOLOGICALLY SENSITIVE ZONES, Zone 1 as recommended by the WGEEP.  *Please look for WGEEP in the net if you have any questions what I outlined above and I am sure you would find it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:50 PM »
Interesting information, Triphal.  Thank you.  It's understandable that the farmers did not want to give up their land.  Tough issue.
John

ajeshcool47

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:07 PM »
what Triphal telling is absolutely true , Western Ghats should need protection otherwise whole India will be in deep trouble ...WESTERN GHAT is to Asia is  like Amazon forest to the world climate....
mangokothiyan, almost all of them were saved by yesterday, fisherman community and local people did a great job...