Author Topic: Best mango TOP WORK combinations 2019 ( multi graft, cocktail tree)  (Read 5516 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
After several forum searches I just couldn't find a good thread that had the info I was looking for in one convenient place. Lots of references to varieties that have been "Topworked" together but not a lot of follow up on how the varieties complemented or created negative issues, such as alternate bearing varieties with regular producers, fungal care issues that might make varieties less compatible to top work together as it relates to a spraying/care regiment.  ( such as LZ issues with powdery mildew and sensitivity to sulfur) and of course the most obvious issue of growth habits.  Please share any before and after update pictures and any opinions you may have on the subject.

I currently have one project tree going mostly just as a practice seedling tree from spare parts with Glenn, sea crest, and two I forgot to label. Growing very well do to a large seedling root system.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Re: Best mango TOP WORK combinations 2019 ( multi graft, cocktail tree)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
This is a great topic ...... I am interested in seeing the responses you get.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
What do you think about a Lemon zest, Orange Sherbet and Lemon Meringue  Seems like an obvious choice.  One early and two mid season with very similar if not identical growth habits.  I'll be doing this one in the spring to make some room for a sapodilla. 

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
a few pics of my project tree. grafts were done summer of 2018 and are growing well. with a few shoots on the back side of the tree to add onto in the spring. I used a basic cleft graft and will practice side veneer in the spring time.

seacrest

Two branches of glenn

La-nina ( from porto rico) Got it on Ebay as a new veriety. soposed to make very large sweet and tangy mangos.

full shot of the tree.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:09:53 PM by mangomongo »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:12:40 AM »
I did a dupuis, lemon zest, peach cobbler.
Dupuis is by far the more vigorous but it might also have to do with it being a southern facing branch.
Peach cobbler can't keep up with the other two.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
that's interesting, I would have thought that peach cobbler would have been able to keep with anything. I might try to put guava and butter cream on my peach cobbler tree. I'll report and post pictures and updates when I do.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
I've started top working several of my trees with bacterial black spot resistant cultivars, the last two years my beautiful Keitt trees produced heavy load of mangoes but not one of them we're edible due to this disease.
I believe this disease came in through the Port of Palm Beach not that long ago and is likely going to spread throughout Florida kind of like citrus cancer and citrus greening did.
 So I cut those two trees way back till about 3 ft high and I'm top working with Pickering Dwharf Hawaiian and honey kiss..I've also got Valencia pride  cut back and  top working it with guava mango, I'm also top working another tree with m4, and another tree with lemon meringue, along with a nam doc Mai stop working it with dwarf Hawaiian
I'm trying to keep look cultivars on top working to have the similar growth habit.. anyway this is a good thread thanks for bringing it up
Www.sailing-charters.org

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Thanks for your input. That's a good point about the Black spot, I'm sure we have it in Brevard/ Merritt island from all the tree's that are coming from palm beach but it hasn't been a major issue that I can see yet. There are a lot of small farms around here with older susceptible varieties. It might be a good idea to start top working some now. Is VP one that gets the Black spot?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:18:21 AM by mangomongo »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »
Here’s some combinations that Patrick did. Some may have seen this but others may not have.

From my experience, placement of the grafts is extremely important in regards to the overall balance of the tree. Grafts placed on the South side will grow faster and grafts with vertical apical dominance tend to grow faster as one would expect.

With multigraft trees, it can be difficult to differentiate the different varieties after the grafts have grown out. If anyone is even considering selling scions from their trees, I highly recommend single graft trees unless you paint the different branches and keep the number of varieties to a minimum.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5196.0

Simon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
I have fallen victim of label falling off and uncertainty as to what a grafted variety was.  Now I don't just rely on labelling, I have video and maps of my trees with location of each graft.  Those are for recent graft and they help.  The older unknown grafts will just have to wait until they fruit for me know which is which.

So as Simon Says (pun intended), careful if you are selling sions don't graft too many on one tree, or have multiple layers of redundancy on your labelling.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
I'm putting a maximum of 3 cultivars on One
tree. My motivation is disease resistant mango bacterial black spot that will surely spread everywhere like citrus canker did no it's a good time to start doing it, here's a list of some cultivars I supposed to be resistant to black spot--,

sweet tart, Pickering, Osteen,Glenn,  edward,,keser,golden queen Graham ,seacrest, Juliet, super Julie, Duncan, Gary pineapple pleasure, Pettigrew, Little Gem,
Edward progeny (Angie, Harvest Moon, Seacrest, Duncan, and Coconut Cream)
Www.sailing-charters.org

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 05:11:56 AM »
Here is an Nam Doc Mia  tree I have topped work a couple of branches very recently with Dwarf Hawaiian and it's flowering already only 6 inches long, once I get fruit set on The graft I will pinch the little man goes off

Www.sailing-charters.org

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
is Dwarf Hawaiian the only cultivator your going to put on or just the first one?  I don't have that one yet but like that it is an early variety as well as tasting good. How is the disease resistance?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
Grafted Venus on Coconut Cream. The CC is more vigorous thus far, but both are flowering nicely. Gotta keep an eye on it so CC doesn't take over. I like CC more, but wanted Venus for a potentially later variety.

Sweet Tart on Kesar is doing well and seem to be growing at similar rates to each other.

OS and Maha on Nam Doc Mai 4 are growing well and appear in balance with each other. Want to add more OS and Maha scions after harvest, or maybe something else.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 06:25:28 AM »
Grafted Venus on Coconut Cream. The CC is more vigorous thus far, but both are flowering nicely. Gotta keep an eye on it so CC doesn't take over. I like CC more, but wanted Venus for a potentially later variety.

Sweet Tart on Kesar is doing well and seem to be growing at similar rates to each other.

OS and Maha on Nam Doc Mai 4 are growing well and appear in balance with each other. Want to add more OS and Maha scions after harvest, or maybe something else.

Yes both are  small treesand I believe in keeping them in balance is important for fruit fruit production, and maintenance.
I've also got a Keitt tree , thought I'm top working with Pickering, dwarf Hawaiian and one more bacterial black spot resistant variety
Www.sailing-charters.org

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
Orange sorbet grafted to Lemon Zest starting to push.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »
Here's my topworked cogshall - grafted late last summer.

The whole tree - leftmost branch is Fairchild, forward front branch is baptiste and all the low foliage are water shoots that I will graft honeykiss onto this season.

The Fairchild grafts

The baptiste graft.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
What did you not like about the Cogshall?  I believe it is one that is supposed to be resistant to MBBS.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
I have an Alphonso that I topworked with 4 varieties - Edward, Venus,  Lemon Zest, and a seedling I liked. I had 4 main branches and they seem to be growing fairly uniformly. But in the future I expect the LZ to take over and need more aggressive pruning. I purposely put that graft on the north side of the tree. Grafts are now in their third year, I Believe. All varieties are flowering so it will be exciting to see 5 different mangoes hanging on one tree:)

Another tree I have is a madame francis that I have been putting grafts on for a couple years. Fruit punch, Lemon Zest, Florigon, Bombay, a julie seedling, and another seedling I enjoyed. This one is more unbalanced because the grafts are not in ideal positions, but I will try to train the tree by selective pruning. The Julie seedling has short internodes but is grafted at the top of the tree which is about 15 feet. That is about the max height I want the tree anyway.

In general, from my experience and observation, I would only graft 2 to a maximum of maybe 4 varieties on a tree just because of the amount of time needed to keep the tree balanced. Even if you have two similar growth habits, one will probably take over.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
I have an Alphonso that I topworked with 4 varieties - Edward, Venus,  Lemon Zest, and a seedling I liked. I had 4 main branches and they seem to be growing fairly uniformly. But in the future I expect the LZ to take over and need more aggressive pruning. I purposely put that graft on the north side of the tree. Grafts are now in their third year, I Believe. All varieties are flowering so it will be exciting to see 5 different mangoes hanging on one tree:)

Another tree I have is a madame francis that I have been putting grafts on for a couple years. Fruit punch, Lemon Zest, Florigon, Bombay, a julie seedling, and another seedling I enjoyed. This one is more unbalanced because the grafts are not in ideal positions, but I will try to train the tree by selective pruning. The Julie seedling has short internodes but is grafted at the top of the tree which is about 15 feet. That is about the max height I want the tree anyway.

In general, from my experience and observation, I would only graft 2 to a maximum of maybe 4 varieties on a tree just because of the amount of time needed to keep the tree balanced. Even if you have two similar growth habits, one will probably take over.

I generally agree.
If I had a fresh start I'd probably do some type of UHD planting but would scale to the varieties vigor. Meaning a Valencia an Edward would not get the same spacing as a Julie and Pickering.

I, however, don't have any objection to multi-grafting if your intent is just to get a handful of fruit from that variety.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
Here's my thread discussing why I decided to top work the cogshall
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24975.msg293032#msg293032
The bottom line is that they don't ripen well on sand soil which is what I have.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
I grafted ST and DF earlier last month on 4/16 on a Corriente seedling, and both grafts took. I didn't think about ST growth pattern before grafting, ST flushed twice and DF is on it's first flash. I left a few rootstock branches for further grafting. Would you recommned I graft a third cultivar, if so what? Or, should I keep it as it is?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
I grafted ST and DF DH earlier last month on 4/16 on a Corriente seedling, and both grafts took. I didn't think about ST growth pattern before grafting, ST flushed twice and DF is on it's first flash. I left a few rootstock branches for further grafting. Would you recommned I graft a third cultivar, if so what? Or, should I keep it as it is?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
I grafted ST and DF DH earlier last month on 4/16 on a Corriente seedling, and both grafts took. I didn't think about ST growth pattern before grafting, ST flushed twice and DF is on it's first flash. I left a few rootstock branches for further grafting. Would you recommned I graft a third cultivar, if so what? Or, should I keep it as it is?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Guava and cac