Author Topic: Lychee grafted onto Longan?  (Read 54876 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee grafted onto Longan?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »
Sorry about the confusion. The pictures of the Lychee buds are before I removed them from the mother tree. I did wrap the scions before cleft grafting onto the rootstock. I'll take pictures of the grafts when I get a chance.

On a side note, here is a couple pictures of a recently planted Lychee seedling showing what the roots look like after being inoculated by beneficial organisms. You can see that the roots are thin close to the seed but get much wider where the mycorrhizae has entered the roots. These are early pictures and when the mycorrhizae has fully established, the thickness of the root will increase even more.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Here is a picture of my Kaimana Lychee grafted onto a Kohala Longan. The Kaimana scion was already pushing a couple inches of new growth so I am doubtful these will take but with some luck, the dormant buds will push. I plan on patenting my new clothes pin grafting technique, lol.

I also innarched my Kaimana to my in ground Kohala Longan and this approach graft has even less probability of taking than my cleft grafts. I had an extremely difficult time making the cuts on both trees and the semi hard wood is very difficult to line up. I probably have one inch of cambium to cambium contact and only on one side of the graft. This is probably the most difficult graft I've done. The Kaimana is in a pot on a chair next to my in ground Kohala.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »
On a side note, it appears that girdling may in fact help with flowering in Longan and possibly Lychee. This is a picture of the same in ground Kohala Longan. I girdled a branch in order to make an air layer and the branch I girdled is now flowering where as a larger branch adjacent to the one I girdled is pushing new vegetative growth. This Kohala tree had already flowered earlier in the year and is holding a small amount of pea sized fruit. There is still the possibility that the branch that is currently pushing a vegetative flush will flower after it verges out.

Simon

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »
If this inter-species graft doing on one main branch of longan...(other brach were still longan) then graft take success and doing well, givin a good vegetative growth....says 1-2 years (to make sure the compatibility is not an issue)....so we have a cocktail tree with longan rootstock...how the lychee part will response of Chlorate application...say it by soil drench method. so the lychee part get chlorate effect by its interaction with longan rootstock only. i mean this "magic bullet" Chorate very effective for inducing longan flowering in ultra tropical region as south part of SE Asia like Java. meanwhile application on lychee failed completely. just wondering how it will take on longan roostcok-cocktail lychee tree

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »
I suppose that is one of the things we may find out in the future although I have no ambitions of using chemicals to promote flowering in Longan nor Lychee. Even if the use of chlorate on the Longan rootstock does somehow catalyze flowering of the grafted Lychee, I do not see myself using this chemical for inducing flowering. I would rather girdle. I do not want to use unnecessary chemicals if I don't have to. Many of the Lychees and Longans in the market are sprayed with plant hormones to induce flowering or for more retention of fruit and I believe for larger size fruit. They are also often sprayed with insecticides and fungicides. I read an article about what was sprayed on Lychees and the permissible levels allowed by the inspectors and I was shocked at what was used on these Lychees from overseas that we feed to our families. This is just one of the reasons I grow my own and using chlorate does not fit into my grand scheme of things. This is my own personal opinion and I have nothing against people who use chemical insecticides, fungicides or hormones.

It would be very interesting to find out if chlorate will work or not on these multi species trees.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
I know this is premature but I was super happy to see that there is a sign of life on my Kaimana Scion grafted onto my Kohala Longan that I grafted ten days ago. One of the leaf stubs turned brown under the parafilm and actually broke the parafilm so I decided to remove the little stub. When I removed the stub, I saw that there is a little green growth behind the removed stub.

I know this is too early to celebrate but it's definitely a good sign. There is a heat wave predicted for this weekend with predicted temps in the upper 90's so I hope this little growth will survive. I may erect some shade just to be safe.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2015, 01:24:03 AM »
I plan on patenting my new clothes pin grafting technique, lol.
Haha, I thought you grafted watermelons. Didn't you use clips to hold them in place?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »
Nice Simon, keep eye on it. yes, intense heat work two ways, push growth and burn new growth. I would put the grafted pot in semi shade so it gets heat and high humidity without leaf burn.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Fang, I used grafting tape for my grafted watermelons but there are tubes I could have purchased and used.

Behl, this graft is actually on my in ground Kohala but I can put up some sort of paper shade to block the growth from direct sunlight. Anyone else have an update on their grafts?

Simon

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
@Simmon, Xshen has a successful lychee graft leafed out on his longan tree, let me see if i can get him to post a pic of his graft :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »
Ok, I see xshen posted on page 1 but it would be great to see the expanded growth. I think every variety that we have grafted has shown initial success. I'm now crossing my fingers for long term compatibility.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
On a side note, it appears that girdling may in fact help with flowering in Longan and possibly Lychee. This is a picture of the same in ground Kohala Longan. I girdled a branch in order to make an air layer and the branch I girdled is now flowering where as a larger branch adjacent to the one I girdled is pushing new vegetative growth. This Kohala tree had already flowered earlier in the year and is holding a small amount of pea sized fruit. There is still the possibility that the branch that is currently pushing a vegetative flush will flower after it verges out.

Simon

Girdling definitely helps with flowering, under some circumstances, on lychees. There have been scientific studies proving that. I think same is also true with longans.
Oscar

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Oscar. There have been several people from this forum that have complained about established Lychee trees that are not bearing fruit. I believe they live in warmer parts so may not get as much chilling. I have advocated girdling in hopes that their tree will flower and hold fruit. I think that girdling trees may help low production trees like Sweetheart hold more fruit to maturity.

Oscar, have you tried to girdle your No Mai Chee or Kwa Luk? I'm very curious if it will help with fruiting on Lychee varieties that are infamous for alternate bearing and that are also known to require more cold stress. I think timing of the girdling will be very important. Since you have several varieties of Lychees, you can use the earliest bloomer as a signal to girdle your trees. It would be very exciting if you get some fruit!

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
The recent 100+ degree heat waves burned off some of the tender leaves.  The other graft defoliated but started to push a new set of leaves again.  I would put this inside the green house but it's jam packed! 

I am still skeptical as to whether they are compatible or not.  The growth rate do not seem all that fast. 

On a side note, my chu leon longan grafts are flowering at this time of the year.  Its very odd.  Its not a coincidence either.  Both graft on separate branches are blooming at the same time.  The branches were not girdled.  Is it possible that this could this be a very late bloomer to extend the longan season?  Maybe also too good to be true.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the update xshen! That's definitely a real growth flush. Have you considered removing more Longan branches to redirect energy more towards your scions? If you do, I would wait till after the heat wave.

We may have to wait until after a couple flushes to determine if the Longan rootstock will impart any benefits onto the Lychee like increased wind or dessication tolerance.

Your Longan grafts may be flowering because the trees they were taken from could have been ready to flower. That would be awesome if you could get extended fruiting season with this new variety but there are other ways to extend the season.

I found that staggered pruning of my Longan caused a delay in the growth and maturation of the current flush which then caused a delay in panicle formation and fruit developement. Girdling can also cause a delayed bloom as I recently found out. My Longan had a partial bloom and set some fruit when I put on an air layer and in essence, I girdled the branch, a couple weeks later, the girdled branch was flowering  where as a nearby branch that wasn't girdled is vegging out.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:39 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation Oscar. There have been several people from this forum that have complained about established Lychee trees that are not bearing fruit. I believe they live in warmer parts so may not get as much chilling. I have advocated girdling in hopes that their tree will flower and hold fruit. I think that girdling trees may help low production trees like Sweetheart hold more fruit to maturity.

Oscar, have you tried to girdle your No Mai Chee or Kwa Luk? I'm very curious if it will help with fruiting on Lychee varieties that are infamous for alternate bearing and that are also known to require more cold stress. I think timing of the girdling will be very important. Since you have several varieties of Lychees, you can use the earliest bloomer as a signal to girdle your trees. It would be very exciting if you get some fruit!

Simon

Simon, i haven't tried girdling No Mai Tze or Kwa Luk. I doubt it would help. Girdling seems to help only in cases where you are close to achieving required temperatures and/or dry winter. But it's worth a try anyhow... nothing to loose. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oscar

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Just wanted to update that my Lychee grafted onto Longan has failed. The grafts calloused and healed beautifully but the buds started pushing when we got 103+ degree weather and the new growth shriveled up within two days.

I still have an approach graft of Lychee onto Longan but I think I will have better luck next year.

Simon

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Hi simongrow just reading the top post of yours about beneficial mychorizae innoculating. What do you inoculate with and what improvements do you see in plant growth characteristics? Very interested.
Thanks. Don

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
Hello Don,

I use Paul Stametes product called Mycogrow and I also use Plant Success. I met Paul Stametes in person at my previous company and he has a long history with fungi and is a very nice person. Due to a nondisclosure agreement I signed, I can't give much information about the product.

If you search online, there are pictures comparing growth rates, showing growth of both foliage and roots of plants inoculated and those that were not treated. Some of the comparisons for certain products can be deceptive because some in inoculants, like some of the products I use, have fertilizers incorporated into them, not that it's a bad thing.

The research out there shows that inoculants work for some plant species and not for others. Instead of looking for a product, hoping that one of the organisms will form a symbiotic relationship with your plants roots, it may be more beneficial to find a healthy, Lychee tree for example, and dig up some of the soil from under the drip line and using that to inoculate your trees.
Simon

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »
No worries, thanks for your help mate!
Don.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »
UPDATE on one of my Mauritius on longan graft. It's starting to push nicely. Im so excited!

Nothing since July

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:51 PM »
Max, thanks for the update. I think it was untimely push of the growth flush that did mine in. I'm crossing my fingers for everyone that there will be no delayed graft incompatibility. I'll try again next year.

Simkn

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »
Nice update Max, at least the growth hardened!

Here is an update of my Kaimana Lychee innarched onto my in ground Kohala Longan. I severed the Lychee from its roots about two weeks ago and the growth is still green so I'm skeptically optimistic. The callous tissue is very ugly, probably because I butchered the tree when innarching them together.

I will slowly remove more Longan branches to redirect energy towards the Lychee.

Simon

meristos

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
Hello, is your graft still doing good?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:19 AM »
UPDATE on one of my Mauritius on longan graft. It's starting to push nicely. Im so excited!

Nothing since July

Stupid me, I accidentally pruned off my lychee graft when I was pruning my longan tree. Just when it was growing another flush too. Ouch!!!