Author Topic: Monster Fruit Trees: 50m tall and 55m wide  (Read 9662 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Fruit Trees: 50m tall and 55m wide
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »

A small detour off topic to look at pix should be OK.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 06:50:40 AM »
A Saffron, wikipedia puts Manilkara huberi up to 55m, thus we have a new leader from the Americas, knocking 2 reps from Borneo out of the top 10.  BTW, my info puts mamey up to 40m.

1.  Manilkara huberi  55m
2.  Bunya Nut  51.5 m
3.  Mangifera quadrifida  51 m
4.  Syzygium species 1 >50m
4.  Syzygium species 2 >50m
6.  Syzygium francisi 50m
6.  Brasil Nut 50 m
6.  Durian 50 m
6.  African Breadfruit  50 m
6.  Pedali 50m

Manilkara achras, chico sapodilla, also gets giant. There is a monstrously large one at Foster's Garden in Honolulu.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »

[/quote]

Manilkara achras, chico sapodilla, also gets giant. There is a monstrously large one at Foster's Garden in Honolulu.
[/quote]

Wild Sapodillas and I are well aquainted.  I spent about 2 years clearing land in the Belizian jungle with an axe and machete. During that time I had to cut 4 fairly large sapodillas.  After cutting I split them with wedges for house pillars.  The heartwood lasts 20 years in the tropical soil.  The wood is so hard, you have to relax your grip on the axe on each strike once you get into the heart.  I did plant 6 types of grafted sapodillas, though, in case anyone takes me for a sapodilla hater.  The tallest tree in my region of the jungle was some sort of legume and it was only 40m tall.  Before I measured it, I had estimated it to be about 55 m tall.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistent information published on the height fruit trees can attain in the wild.  I wonder if there is a reliable source for this information.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
Caju does get to that tall...though, it spreads ;)

Reportagem na Rede Record

The biggest cajú tree, that is as big as an official soccer field and does produce 80 000 fruits per year 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
While there are a whole group of local native Syzygiums that exceed 50m they should be omitted as they have fruit only fit for wildlife.If you look at the link I posted in teh tarap thread you will see Artocarpus hirsutus reaches a whopping 70m and Artocarpus elasticus a mind blowing 65m.I think the General Sherman is about 110m for a comparason and the world record measured tree by a surveyor is 127m

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

Now that's what I call the epitomy of our role in coexistence.
 ;D ;D

stand back, while I bore a hole through this massive tree, and then drive my family through the tree, in my classic car!

I love old pics.

I wonder if the tree is prone to disease?? or an early decline??
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:59:21 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
If you look at the link I posted in teh tarap thread you will see Artocarpus hirsutus reaches a whopping 70m and Artocarpus elasticus a mind blowing 65m.

Artocarpus hirsutus is a great example of a tree with wildly varying reports of its maximum height in the wild.  Here are the heights according to 5 or 6 sources (number 1 and 6 may have used the same oriiginal report.  I am too lazy to check) 
1. < 35 m
2. 45m
3. > a jak fruit tree
4. <50m
5. <35m
6. 70m

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »

;D ;D

stand back, while I bore a hole through this massive tree, and then drive my family through the tree, in my classic car!

I love old pics.

Definitely. Cutting a hole so you can drive a car through a tree is not plant friendly! I think all those drive through redwoods and sequoia trees not longer exist as they succumbed to early death. BTW i've heard that only reason large stands of sequoias still exist is that their lumber is not workable.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »

;D ;D

I love old pics.

Well on Holland the very old or big tree's are monuments and nobody should cut in them because then you can be prosecuted.

I don;t know how old this pic is but this was the title:  Yosemite_natiional_park_Wawona_Drive_Through_Tree.   ;)

I am still trying to figure out how big that tree from 8600m2 like in the video would be. What a beast! How old will something like that be?