Author Topic: Fruits from Goan Fruitsand  (Read 11118 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Fruits from Goan Fruitsand
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »

Left side green mango, probably Neelam, Thai shaped mangos something like Tota Peni, sugar apples, unknown type of round avo, chico sapodilla, and Passiflora ligularis.
Today i also bought some sweet dried tamarind. They came in a box and are imported from Thailand. Also had locally produced candy made from jaggery (coconut brown sugar) and coconut shredded meat mixed finely together.
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits from Goan Fruitsand
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Are you running into any exotic or rare fruit in India? I don't think they have much more than what you have displayed, but I may be mistaken.

Will you also make it over to Sri Lanka? Hands down my favorite food is Sri Lankan.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Are you running into any exotic or rare fruit in India? I don't think they have much more than what you have displayed, but I may be mistaken.

Will you also make it over to Sri Lanka? Hands down my favorite food is Sri Lankan.

Jaime

Not going to Sri Lanka. Some other rare fruits i had in N. India were jujubes and some type of cactus fruits. Will try to post photos later. There are many rare fruits in India but they are not usually sold in markets, or if they are you have to be in the right place at the right time.
Pretty rare also to be eating mangos in northern hemisphere in mid December! It's mid December but climate feels like July in Miami.
Also avocados are a very rare fruit in most of India. Like i said before avos are rare fruit in most of Asia!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:41:34 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
how are those passionfruit? compared to a regular purple one?

I always see that type, and have never tried one.

thanks for sharing pics Oscar,

I hope your trip is wonderful!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
how are those passionfruit? compared to a regular purple one?

I always see that type, and have never tried one.

thanks for sharing pics Oscar,

I hope your trip is wonderful!

Haven't eaten the ones i bought here yet, but i've had them elsewhere and they are wondeful, really sweet. Thanks, it's been a really great trip so far.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
thanks for the info!

great to hear you're having fun!

I wonder why that species is so popular?

and why not a purple type or yellow like in FL (edulis, flavacarpa).

maybe because of the thick shell of the orange species? and sweet taste?

I wonder how long that species has been grown there, and who introduced it??
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
thanks for the info!

Don't think P. ligularis is widely grown in India. This is the first place i've ever seen it. Ligularis is very widely grown and appreciated in Colombia.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
that's right!!!

I saw it on that show with Andrew zimmern on food network,  he was in Columbia or somewhere...not India!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
thanks for the info!

Don't think P. ligularis is widely grown in India. This is the first place i've ever seen it. Ligularis is very widely grown and appreciated in Colombia.

I've also noticed the same thing Oscar has... if you're somewhere and P. edulis is a popular fruit, then P. liguarlis is too... those two seem to be grown in a huge number of areas
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Jaime

Just curious what exactly do you like? Sri Lankan cuisine is like mix between Thai and Indian. And I like them both.

Oscar next time you go to Asia, look for deals with Air Asia. Advance bookings $150 return to most points. Tiger Airways also has very good network and excellent rates. India just removed that idiotic 2 month rule on tourist visas. Should make it easier to travel.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
To say it more precisely, I like the Sri Lankan food prepared by a few local friends from Sri Lanka. Essentially, the food they prepare for me is either a curry or a mixed vegetable dish. But, the flavor of their curries and dishes are the best I have ever had. They are definitely different from any Indian curries I have had. And very different from any Thai food I've had, too. Both Indian and Thai are favorite foods, as well, especially Masaman curry!

One of the ladies even taught me how to create a hot chili powder to be used when making red curry, and I've, in turn, passed it on to many of my friends.

I distinctly remember them preparing a crab curry once for me, and the crabs claws and legs were very sharp causing many slight cuts on my hands while eating them, but because the curry was sooo spicy, the cuts were cured immediately.

Jaime

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
I have been eating sri lankan cuisine since I was about 10 yrs old. My best friend is Sri Lankan, and his mother knows how to cook. Recently ate banana peel curry dish with a side of coconut sambal. I may need to head over their this week and eat some food  :P.

Btw, Oscar how was the cactus fruit? Sounds like its something besides a prickly pear, very interesting considering none of them are native to India.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
I have been eating sri lankan cuisine since I was about 10 yrs old. My best friend is Sri Lankan, and his mother knows how to cook. Recently ate banana peel curry dish with a side of coconut sambal. I may need to head over their this week and eat some food  :P.

Btw, Oscar how was the cactus fruit? Sounds like its something besides a prickly pear, very interesting considering none of them are native to India.

Ask them to make curry from Dwarf Ambarella. It's really good. Also she must know how make unripe jackfruit. It should taste almost like meat.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Howdy Oscar,
Them fruits you bought, look freak'n awesome 8) Them imported Tamarinds should be the same as the ones i get over here...nice and sweet  ;)

BTW did you hear some Goans speak Portuguese?

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:05:08 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Jaime

Thanks for the tips. What 2 month rule are you talking about? Every nationality is treated differently. Americans can get 10 year visas.

Just curious what exactly do you like? Sri Lankan cuisine is like mix between Thai and Indian. And I like them both.

Oscar next time you go to Asia, look for deals with Air Asia. Advance bookings $150 return to most points. Tiger Airways also has very good network and excellent rates. India just removed that idiotic 2 month rule on tourist visas. Should make it easier to travel.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 05:11:09 AM »

Most of the fruit i'm eating here are not native to India: Passiflora ligularis, sugar apple, pineapple, papaya, watermelon, citrus, coconut, avocado. So the fact that cactus is not native to India doesn't mean it doesn't exist here. Will try to post a photo of cactus fruits later. They were too small i think to be prickly pears.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 05:14:08 AM »
Howdy Oscar,
Them fruits you bought, look freak'n awesome 8) Them imported Tamarinds should be the same as the ones i get over here...nice and sweet  ;)

Haven't heard them speak Portuguese. I think only some of the very well educated class know some Portuguese from colonial times influence.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
Howdy Oscar,

Haven't heard them speak Portuguese. I think only some of the very well educated class know some Portuguese from colonial times influence.

Hi Oscar,
From a Portuguese tv show , i heard quite a few Goans speaking Portuguese and some very fluently. I wouldn't expect all to speak this, since it ain't their mother tongue.

Hope you are doing the samba in them spice farms ;D from what i have seen on the tele, it's disneyland for us folks :-)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
Howdy Oscar,

Hi Oscar,
From a Portuguese tv show , i heard quite a few Goans speaking Portuguese and some very fluently. I wouldn't expect all to speak this, since it ain't their mother tongue.

Hope you are doing the samba in them spice farms ;D from what i have seen on the tele, it's disneyland for us folks :-)

Haven't made it out to spice farms yet, but hope to soon. They are about 90 minute drive from where i', at. Educated Goans speak about 5 different languages, including Portuguese.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »

When I visited Goa, about 12 years ago, a small minority of people still spoke Portuguese.
  They were already middle-aged, so I'd expect fewer and fewer will know any Portuguese.

Nevertheless, Goa looked quite different from other parts of India. The architecture, especially
  churches, had a clear Portuguese feel. The food is also different, which Portuguese inspired
  dishes.

At the time, I still had not developped my rarefruit affliction, so my experience with exotic
  fruits was very casual. I do recall, seeing an amazing breadfruit tree in Panjim (Goa's capital).

Before that, in Rajastan (Jaipur) I stayed at place that had these strange brown fruits in a bowl.
  I remember trying them and finding them quite good, like a very sweet pear.

Only years later I discovered that I had my first sapodilla in Jaipur.

The Jaipur baazar is another fond memory of that place.
  The colors and smells of all those exotic spices on display; the crowded noisy streets...so much life...
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
Howdy Oscar,

Hi Oscar,

Haven't made it out to spice farms yet, but hope to soon. They are about 90 minute drive from where i', at. Educated Goans speak about 5 different languages, including Portuguese.

90 minute drive in such a gorgeous country...will feel like 5 minutes and there might even have fruit stalls along the road, to make the drive even more worthwhile :)

That's quite impressive of them educated Goans speaking 5 languages 8)...need another two langueses in my pocket, then i got the world covered :-)
Time is like a river.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
Cool story Sergio. Goa must be a beautiful place. But my guess is that it's maybe not the most interesting destination for fruit junkies like us  ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »

When I visited Goa, about 12 years ago, a small minority of people still spoke Portuguese.
  They were already middle-aged, so I'd expect fewer and fewer will know any Portuguese.

Nevertheless, Goa looked quite different from other parts of India. The architecture, especially
  churches, had a clear Portuguese feel. The food is also different, which Portuguese inspired
  dishes.

At the time, I still had not developped my rarefruit affliction, so my experience with exotic
  fruits was very casual. I do recall, seeing an amazing breadfruit tree in Panjim (Goa's capital).

Before that, in Rajastan (Jaipur) I stayed at place that had these strange brown fruits in a bowl.

The colors and smells of all those exotic spices on display; the crowded noisy streets...so much life...

Now my memory's come back about India. In Jaipur (pink city) we stayed in a big guesthouse with a bunch of monkeys on the roof. We put fruit on our table in the room and went asleep. Then i heard noise from the window and a monkey came in, walked to the fruit and started loading all on his arms. When i stood up he showed me his teeth and just went on loading more. When his arms were loaded he slowly walked back to the window, showed his teeth one more time and smiled and he gave it to his waiting friends outside and climbed away haha.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »

dishes.

Now my memory's come back about India. In Jaipur (pink city) we stayed in a big guesthouse with a bunch of monkeys on the roof. We put fruit on our table in the room and went asleep. Then i heard noise from the window and a monkey came in, walked to the fruit and started loading all on his arms. When i stood up he showed me his teeth and just went on loading more. When his arms were loaded he slowly walked back to the window, showed his teeth one more time and smiled and he gave it to his waiting friends outside and climbed away haha.

There were loads of macaque and langur monkeys in northern India, but haven't seen any yet here. Yes the macaque monkeys are very opportunistic and agressive and will steal food whenever they can. I also had one come into my room through a very small window which would not close properly and steal a bag of cookies and some dried bananas i had dried and cerried all the way from home. At least he didn't make a mess of my other things.
Macaque monkeys are very problematic for farmers as they steal their crops. Also they are protected by law so farmers are not allowed to kill them.
Oscar

thaibao1269

• VietNam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »
Hi all,

Tropical fruit from Thailan is good but quantity is less.  I still often export my fruit to Thailand to comsume.
In Asia have three place have good quality fruit are Vietnam, Thailan, Srilanca.
But in my side, to buy fruit from Thailand or Srilance you must monitor season because their fruit fully depend on season.

And if you have demand tropical fruit and Thailand or Skilanca have out of stock, you can contact me, we will discuss about quality and price.

My email: thacas.ltd@gmail.com or skype: thacas.ltd

Thanks for reading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk