Author Topic: Dwarf coconut tree  (Read 1748 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Dwarf coconut tree
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
My neighbour gave me a dwarf coconut tree for surprise but i think it will be growing to wide for my garden.

Can i grow it in a big pot and will it still bear fruit in that? If so what will be a good soil for it?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf coconut tree
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
If you have very little space, live in an area where coconuts are easily purchased, and are interested in eating a wide variety of fruits, then you should not waste the space on a coconut.  Even a dwarf creates a lot of shade.

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Dwarf coconut tree
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »
You are right Durian. I told him i want a tree that gives my side-terrace more privacy from the back-neighbours. Then he told me where to buy the cherry tree so i bought that one for that place. The other big pot was meant for my Annona which i planted there allready (only has 2 branches). He wanted to give me something back for the big plumeria that i gave him this weekend so then he bought me that coconut.

I like the sight of a coconut tree though because it gives that real tropical look. If i can keep it really small (bonsai) in a pot then i would like to see it grow. But i don't have space to be honest and better grow sweet nice tropical fruits or nice flowers around my house. That terrace allready has a big mangotree so that is enough together with the cherry and annona. I also need to keep sunshine and airflow there and my bbq also needs a place.