Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: The Reed avocado thread  (Read 6712 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: The Reed avocado thread
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
CA Hockey, avocados do sooooo much better in the ground. They are one of those plants that really don't like being in pots. Put it in the ground as soon as possible.

My six foot tall Reed tried to hold 50 fruit!  I thinned it down to three since I want it to spend its energy on growth. I do love Reed avocados. In my book they are one of the best varieties.

Bill

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Boobook Farm
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
My dad has a reed seedling on his property that is 35 or more years old. As kids we used to all climb up in it. It is a very large tree and crops well with very large and decent fruit (though most of them are out of reach). They look like a slightly more textured reed. I'll take a pic next time I'm there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:44:05 PM by Ulfr »

Greg A

• U.S.A. / California / Ramona / Sunset zone 20
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
My favorite way to eat a Reed is as a personal bowl of guacamole. You guys ever do this? My son demonstrates:

gregalder.com/yardposts/

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:14 AM »
Now.......last year's fruit set is unreal.  We've been eating super rich Reeds since May. 

I truly regret picking my few reeds earlier this year, mistakenly thought they ripen together with fuerte.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 01:27:55 AM »
Has anyone grown Reed in southern Florida or any other tropical climate? I tasted Reeds in California and thought they were really excellent. Would like to grow them here, but wonder if they would produce well here?
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
My favorite way to eat a Reed is as a personal bowl of guacamole. You guys ever do this? My son demonstrates:

Very cool, he's having some nutritious fun!  Another reason why I love Reed, the natural hard bowl.

Left side is the bowl, right is the whole half.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
CA Hockey, avocados do sooooo much better in the ground. They are one of those plants that really don't like being in pots. Put it in the ground as soon as possible.

True.   However...... I have a 10' X 10' Reed tree in a large bottomless RootBuilder pot. We're eating fruit that are now 17 mos. old.  Even when I started tasting them back in May they were rich and delicious.  Only 7 left.   :'(

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Has anyone grown Reed in southern Florida or any other tropical climate? I tasted Reeds in California and thought they were really excellent. Would like to grow them here, but wonder if they would produce well here?

Pure Guatemalan, natural to the fairly cool tropical highlands.  If that's you're elevation and type of area, I'd go for it.  I can think of lots of places in Hawaii where Reed should do real well, like the uplands of Haleakala, Mauna mts. areas, Parker Ranch.....

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
True.   However...... I have a 10' X 10' Reed tree in a large bottomless RootBuilder pot. We're eating fruit that are now 17 mos. old.  Even when I started tasting them back in May they were rich and delicious.  Only 7 left.   :'(

So, then it's rooted through the bottom into the ground, right?

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
note to Oscar
got one in Hana & grows well but production not exceptional . Has grown out of control & there fore  hard to harvest .
Has dropped a seedling that may be better .
We shall see.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »

So, then it's rooted through the bottom into the ground, right?

Yes, by design.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
I hear you on putting them in the ground. When I first started  this hobby and wasn't as good with nutrition and the various needs of potted plants, everyone so often I would notice my plants (especially avocados) would sprout a foot or 2 out of nowhere and I wouldn't have to water as often. That usually meant that the roots had popped through the bottom and i hated having to rip them out to move he pots around.

K

My six foot tall Reed tried to hold 50 fruit!  I thinned it down to three since I want it to spend its energy on growth. I do love Reed avocados. In my book they are one of the best varieties.

Bill

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers