Author Topic: Sweet Tart Mango  (Read 60085 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Tart Mango
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
Mark, I can't wait for the taste report. BTW, did you hear about the new forum rule? If you own more than three different varieties of Mango, you are required to purchase a refractometer, lol!
Simon
Funny Simon, how about those with the refractometers are invited to test and taste for free.

That sounds great Mark, let me know when you plan on opening her up. I Probably won't be able to make it due to work but I'm eager to hear if it's sweet when grown in our climate. Would you be interested in stopping over by my house today to borrow my refractometer for whenever you are ready to open up your sweet tart? My daughter is sick so I took the day off today.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
Hey Mark, how was the Sweet Tart😁
Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
Hey Mark, how was the Sweet Tart
Simon
Hey Simon,

The Sweet Tart was real good. I brought it in to work and everyone that tried it said it had the tart taste. I think it is a keeper. It would have done pretty good at the tasting. Next up is the Zebda, it is just starting to color up on the tree.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
Hey Mark, thanks for the information. Would you say it was as sweet as Leo#2 or Lemon Zest perhaps? The tart is scaring me away but if it has a high sugar content, then the acidity would be perfect to balance out the sweetness. BTW, the CA grown Keitts have been excellent this year. I normally don't like the Keitts because they are just slightly too tart for me, I know, they aren't really tart but I have a sweet tooth and even that pineapple like tartness is a bit much for me at times. Anyways, this year, the Keitts were sweeter with Brix between 19-20% so the slight tartness is balanced out by the sugars.

Simon

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Mark are you trees in pots or in ground and how old are your trees ? I am thinking about planting a sweet tart in the desert in the near future
I have never tasted Sweet tart but i believe i had Zebda at the fruit and spice park this past summer. It was pretty good  if unremarkable, i don't think as good as Sweet tart though

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
I read through all the Sweet Tart posts I could find and i still can't figure out if it's too sour or not. There are some reports that it is sour but also very sweet. Some pointed out it was on the tart side. Is there a mango with a similar taste and sweetness profile, it would be great if you could compare it to an older variety of mango as I have not tasted some of the newer ones.

I have a small seedling I grafted with Sweet Tart and it's doing great so I may pluck up my Smith Red Blood Orange and put the Sweet Tart in but I'm more of a sweet mango person. If there's some acidity, I'm ok with that but if it's very sour to the point of overwhelming the sweetness, I may plant another variety of mango instead. Thanks

Simon

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 02:02:23 PM »
Sweet tart is one of my favorites. Here in AZ the taste was very full of sweet and finished off with slight sour/acidity note. Not a lemony sour, but more along the lines of a tart Minneola. Very unique and addictive. I had to buy another Sweet tart mango tree to make sure I get enough :).

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
I read through all the Sweet Tart posts I could find and i still can't figure out if it's too sour or not. There are some reports that it is sour but also very sweet. Some pointed out it was on the tart side. Is there a mango with a similar taste and sweetness profile, it would be great if you could compare it to an older variety of mango as I have not tasted some of the newer ones.

I would compare it to a prime Dot if I had to compare it to another mango. It's a Zinc seedling but doesn't really taste like Zinc. Some of the STs I've had are up there with the best mangos I've ever eaten...and I've tried hundreds of cultivars.

The tart component only dominates depending on how under-ripe it is. The more ripe it is the more richly sweet it becomes. One of the beauties of Sweet Tart is how long the window is on when it can be eaten and enjoyed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:13:47 PM by Squam256 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »

I would compare it to a prime Dot if I had to compare it to another mango. It's a Zinc seedling but doesn't really taste like Zinc. Some of the STs I've had are up there with the best mangos I've ever eaten...and I've tried hundreds of cultivars.

The tart component only dominates depending on how under-ripe it is. The more ripe it is the more richly sweet it becomes. One of the beauties of Sweet Tart is how long the window is on when it can be eaten and enjoyed.

I would agree almost 100% with Alex's description.  When picked at the right time it is very sweet with a pleasurable acidic undertone (not to be confused with the flavor profile of Pineapple Pleasure or its parent, Springfels), it can be one of the best tasting mangoes there is.  When picked too early, it can be quite tart and chalky...not very enjoyable to most.   I personally would not compare it with Dot as I don't feel Dot has the same type of tart component and I feel Dot has a touch of spiciness.

In my opinion, there isn't an "older" variety that I would compare it too.  I also don't know what it will taste like when grown in the California climate.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
I do have a 7-gal Sweet Tart up for grabs (sale), its currently blooming hard, trunk is well over 1" thick. I got two from Top Tropicals, ended up putting only one in ground. PM if interested

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
Its true that Dot has more of a spice component to the flavor; I just think its one of the only older varieties whose balance of flavors is at least somewhat comparable in terms of its sweetness and acidity levels and how they assert themselves in the flavor. You're right that it doesn't do justice to compare it to any of them though. ST is definitely very, very unique.

Such is the problem with describing many of these new cultivars in that they have flavor profiles that just weren't abundant in the older varieties. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:01:30 PM by Squam256 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
Some slight tartness but no sour as in lemon sour. Not any of that.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
Any new info on ST production- or even comparing it's production to Dot ?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
Alex's description nailed it. Sweet / tart balance similar to that of a dot but very different in terms of flavor. To me, it tastes like coca cola (due to the flavor of the sap).

And, as Alex said, one cool feature is that it's never really overripe. You can let them sit on the counter for weeks until they are totally wrinkled, but they are still firm and delicious.

It's definitely one of my top 5 favorite mangoes.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »
err meant to say tastes like coca cola syrup.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »

So, are you in the habit of buying CC syrup and slugging it down? :o
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
Three of the most knowledgeable South Florida mango growers on this forum have described it perfectly. If you appreciate intensity in your fruit, i dont know of another, that is readily available in South Florida, that can compare. The tart is not like sour citrus tart. Its a magnificent compliment to an intensely sweet initial impression. The tart is actually what makes me appreciate the sweetness even more so.

If you want mild, laid back, subtle nuances of flavor and aroma this fruit aint for you!  Sweet Tart mangos will make your mouth water uncontrollably, and not in a negative sense. If i only had space for two mangos one would be the Lemon Zest and the other would be the Sweet Tart.

JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
Three of the most knowledgeable South Florida mango growers on this forum have described it perfectly. If you appreciate intensity in your fruit, i dont know of another, that is readily available in South Florida, that can compare. The tart is not like sour citrus tart. Its a magnificent compliment to an intensely sweet initial impression. The tart is actually what makes me appreciate the sweetness even more so.

If you want mild, laid back, subtle nuances of flavor and aroma this fruit aint for you!  Sweet Tart mangos will make your mouth water uncontrollably, and not in a negative sense. If i only had space for two mangos one would be the Lemon Zest and the other would be the Sweet Tart.

excellent.  I just planted both recently
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
Any new info on ST production- or even comparing it's production to Dot ?
Sweet Tart is very productive mango variety.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
:-) It's a good anti-nausea / vomit medicine that you can pick up at the local drugstore. Tastes pretty good too :-).

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:19 PM »
Yours  must still have the coca base in it 😆❄️

:-) It's a good anti-nausea / vomit medicine that you can pick up at the local drugstore. Tastes pretty good too :-).

JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »

You can let them sit on the counter for weeks until they are totally wrinkled, but they are still firm and delicious.

This is where i will vehemently disagree.   If it wrinkles from sitting on the counter, it was indeed picked too early.   I have spent two years picking and watching the various stages ripen.  When picked at the peak time, it will ripen and not wrink l e and have a far better flavor profile.

Jeff  - I know you enjoy the tart and chalky characteristic and thats what happens when picked early (by the way, ZINC does the same thing).  For most, the like no chalk, and the sweeter and juicier texture...as such, picking at the right time is the key.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:18 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I'm definitely a lover of strong intense flavors. I will definitely plant my Sweet Tart in the ground after all the rave reviews. I'll probably let the fruit hang on the tree for as long as possible to let the sugars build up. I can't wait to try the fruit!

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
:-) you're probably right. I guess that goes to show how versatile the ST is -- top notch mango even when picked green !

That reminds me, I only have 2 of these bad boys planted out. Need to start working on space for a couple more :-).

You can let them sit on the counter for weeks until they are totally wrinkled, but they are still firm and delicious.

This is where i will vehemently disagree.   If it wrinkles from sitting on the counter, it was indeed picked too early.   I have spent two years picking and watching the various stages ripen.  When picked at the peak time, it will ripen and not wrink l e and have a far better flavor profile.

Jeff  - I know you enjoy the tart and chalky characteristic and thats what happens when picked early (by the way, ZINC does the same thing).  For most, the like no chalk, and the sweeter and juicier texture...as such, picking at the right time is the key.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
I ate a sweet tart early (green) almost ripe, maybe 4 days early?

it was pretty damn good for a green mango!!

I have two left that I'm letting ripen up all the way...but now I see why the squirrels can't hold their horses!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com