Author Topic: Sweet Tart Mango  (Read 59799 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Sweet Tart Mango
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
I am growing this mango, but my tree is still small and has not bloomed as of yet. I had the opportunity to try this mango thanks to Jeff (CookieMonster).  The mangoes he gave me were quite small.  They had been grown in a cluster....which, as I understand, is not always the case as far as production habit for this mango.  The fruits that grow singly get considerably larger according to Jeff. The mango is well named based on its flavor profile.  It has very strong sweet and tart components and nice fiber-less flesh.  The magnitude of the flavor burst I encountered makes this a mango that I definitely consider top tier. Under perfect ripening conditions, I would expect to see this mango win its fair share of top honors at any respectable mango tasting.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:16:20 AM by Tim »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Tart Mago
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
I tried this for the first time this year and it was excellent...I had it along with a Lemon Zest that day and it held its own...I shared it with some at work they preferred the Sweet Tart to the Zest...I also realy liked the Zinc I tried from Walter's...I believe the Sweet Tart is a seedling of the Zinc with better performance/disease resistance...I have one planted and it's growing as fast as my PPK that I pugged at the same time...

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
Sounds like a good mango.  8) Unfortunately, I have no more space. My trees are at most 10 feet apart from each other, so I practically stuffed my backyard as much as possible. lol If I hit the lotto, I'll definitely be looking for a home with acreage in the Davie area. :)
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »
hahaha yah, the sweet tart is one of the best mangoes I've tried this year. Top 5. It's also disease resistant, seems to be very productive (my 7 gallon tree produced 17 fruits), and said to be a compact grower.

The sunrise is also incredible.

Gary Zill is a beast.
Jeff  :-)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
I am growing this mango, but my tree is still small and has not bloomed as of yet. I had the opportunity to try this mango thanks to Jeff (CookieMonster).  The mangoes he gave me were quite small.  They had been grown in a cluster....which, as I understand, is not always the case as far as production habit for this mango.  The fruits that grow singly get considerably larger according to Jeff. The mango is well named based on its flavor profile.  It has very strong sweet and tart components and nice fiber-less flesh.  The magnitude of the flavor burst I encountered makes this a mango that I definitely consider top tier. Under perfect ripening conditions, I would expect to see this mango win its fair share of top honors at any respectable mango tasting.

I had one last year. My tree only gave me one. It was a medium size mango with an excellent flavor. Since then I bought two more trees. The one that gave me the only fruit died shortly after I picked it.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »
The Zinc/ZIC I got from TT, I thought were outstanding. Not much tart but a nice chalkyness about them. Aside from the sweetness. If Sweet Tart is an improved version of ZIC...then damn. Are the fruit sizes the same? The ZIC I bought were in the 500grams + range.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
The Zinc/ZIC I got from TT, I thought were outstanding. Not much tart but a nice chalkyness about them. Aside from the sweetness. If Sweet Tart is an improved version of ZIC...then damn. Are the fruit sizes the same? The ZIC I bought were in the 500grams + range.

uhh. Does anyone know how to add some sort of a converter to this forum? I need ounces people! pounds!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
The Sweet Tarts I had last year were outstanding. was very impressed.

My tree has been a pretty vigorous grower.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
Squam, any chance you can post pics of your tree???

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:21 AM »
Google!

uhh. Does anyone know how to add some sort of a converter to this forum? I need ounces people! pounds!
JC

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
The Sweet Tart is truly a mouth watering mango. In my experience, the slightly tart component intensifies the rest of the flavors and causes sensory overloaded tastebuds.

I grafted one from my neighbor's tree months before I was able to taste the fruit. It's growing well and will probably get planted next spring. The neighbor's tree currently  has a wayward bloom panicle shooting out from the trunk.
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
My trees were fairly vigorous too, but then I noticed that on the zill's price sheet they haz it marked as 'compact'. It's possible that growth rate slows when it starts putting on the mangoes. It's supposed to be a heavy producer.

The Sweet Tarts I had last year were outstanding. was very impressed.

My tree has been a pretty vigorous grower.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the review Harry.  Sounds like a mango I should grow.... Too bad I am out of room.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
Great to know there is another mango that I need to get hold off.

anyone has budwood to share?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
Add it to your cocktail tree ;D

Too bad I am out of room.
Tim

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
Anyone tried germinating the seed yet? poly or mono?
This sounds exactly like my kinda mango - makes me think of my ARKP. Mmmmmm...

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
Neighbor's Sweet Tart w wayward bloom. Blurry pic from the not-so-smartphone.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:22:10 AM by jc »
JC

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »
Neighbor's Sweet Tart w wayward bloom. Blurry pic from the not-so-smartphone.

Your neighbor has a no mulch policy. Large tree, do you know how he fertilizes it? He must be sprinkling fertilizer within that no-mulch circle and towards the edges to the feeder roots. Looks like it works for him! Though he could keep a constant 2" mulch layer and sprinkle fertilizer on top of it. Hmmmmm...

I think I killed an avocado with heavy mulch. They hate wet roots. Mango does not care. My two avocados have very very little much. My mangoes have a thick layer because I like more organic matter if possible

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Tart Mango
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
hey BMC: I went out to plant a few dozen mango seeds today and here is the sweet tart seed: looks poly to me. It has a few large sections instead of many little sections like in most SE Asian seeds and is sending up two large pink shoots.

-Joep450

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
I tried about 40 different mango cultivars this summer, looking for the best tree to plant in my backyard,  and Sweet Tart is currently #1 at the top of my list.

The mango is not pretty (green and turns yellow when ripe), small, had a poor flesh-to-seed ratio (fat seed)... but my tastebuds really love and crave it. It has a definite "flavor burst," as Harry described it. Once I cut into it, I have an incredibly difficult time saving some for later.... which is something I often and easily do with other mangoes. This inclines me to select it for planting.

Tasting notes: Coca Cola syrup with a splash of Limeade concentrate on top of some richest, sweetest classically "mango" flavors. Little bursts of Sour Candy flavors near the peel.

If you eat it a little underripe, the sour acidity is very INTENSE and for me... very pleasurable & addictive. Along the lines of a "Sour Patch Kids"-type candy.

A+

Question: My only planted mango tree is a Maha Chanok, which I have not yet tasted. Does the MC have a tart / sour element?  Does the Sweet Tart taste "different enough" than the MC to merit planting both in a small yard? 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:52:20 AM by BrettBorders »

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Does anyone have budwood to spare?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
C'mon guys! Now I won't get sleep until I get this new cultivar...  :blank:

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
Ok Guys , Tomorrow im heading over to Jeff's house to pick up a CC & LZ , now you guys got me thinking Of this ST Mango , Just when you thought you where out , they drag you ban in ! ;).

Ok Sweet Tart will be the last mango I Buy ! ,,, and please no more Yummy reviews ..').

Ed..
Zone 10

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Based on the few MCs and the few SweetTarts I've had, I'd say that the SweetTart is much more intense -- sweeter and with a stronger 'cola syrup' flavor. Flesh is also firmer. You can leave the sweet tart out until it's totally wrinkled, yet it stays firm.

I've been very (very) pleased with production this year. I got 17 mangoes on a 7 gallon tree. I'm curious to see if it's a biennial producer -- I would be surprised if the sweet tart could maintain that level of production two years in a row. It produced so much fruit that the tree started to show signs of macro-nutrient deficiency on the leaves near the fruit.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Jeff sounds like a great mango tree !
Gotta get one !
Ed.
Zone 10